Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: Counting House  (Read 11864 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: Counting House
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:37:49 pm »
+2

So this is the card that has been bottom of the $5 rankings for a while now.

How awesome is the combo with Travelling Fair?
What other combos does it have?
What is it like as a Prince target?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: Counting House
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:01:42 pm »
+3

Much Counting very wow
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:05:32 am »

It's a nice sweet little card, but it really whats that buy.

I've never had the pleasure of trying a Counting House + discard for benefit deck, it would be nice to do sometimes.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:45:30 am »
+3

What is it like as a Prince target?

Terrible? If you can buy Prince and Counting House and some price reduction, and play it all in one turn, you are probably drawing your deck anyway or pretty close to that = Counting House is not actually needed at all.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:47:45 am »
+2

I think it could work well in a Royal Blacksmith engine in the absence of Copper trashing.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
+2

I think it could work well in a Royal Blacksmith engine in the absence of Copper trashing.

So you put the Coppers into your hand so that you can discard them all again when you play Royal Blacksmith?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:06:57 am »

So you put the Coppers into your hand so that you can discard them all again when you play Royal Blacksmith?

If Copper were Tunnel that would be amazing!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:19:59 am »
+1

You play the CH *after* all your RBs, silly. :P
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:28:29 am »

But if you prince Counting House you play it before. Or weren't you referencing the Prince discussion? This was kind of unclear.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:56:15 am »

But if you prince Counting House you play it before. Or weren't you referencing the Prince discussion? This was kind of unclear.

What? Oh, no, just Counting House in general. Princing Counting House is a really shitty idea...

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:51 am »

You need a cost reducer to Prince Counting House, and most of the time I would rather just Prince the cost reducer?

Anyhow other than the rare super good combos where you take advantage of the whole boundless draw thing, Counting House is awful. I would rather buy Scout on a lot of boards...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »
+1

Also, even if you could magically Prince a five cost for free, Counting House seems like one of the worst targets. Unlike other handsize increasers, timing your CH play is really important. You want lots of Coppers in the discard, that won't happen consistently if CH is the first thing you play every turn. Maybe if you already Princed a Scavenger or Chancellor it can work ;)

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 12:13:07 pm »

Also, even if you could magically Prince a five cost for free, Counting House seems like one of the worst targets. Unlike other handsize increasers, timing your CH play is really important. You want lots of Coppers in the discard, that won't happen consistently if CH is the first thing you play every turn. Maybe if you already Princed a Scavenger or Chancellor it can work ;)

If you're using Counting House at all, it should be in a huge deck with barely any other drawing. Maybe some sifting, but that's not really that important. But even if you could magically Prince a $5 card for free, it's going to be difficult to line up Prince and Counting House in any deck that wants Counting Houses.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 12:26:42 am »
+1

Counting House is awful. Proof? Running Counting House BM against Ultimate Big Money (no actions), we find that Counting House barely wins the coin flip. Freaking Moat BM is better than Counting House, too.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 08:47:18 am »

outside of the traveling fair combo (which i've still never gotten in a game yet!!!), i think counting house's main use is in really sloggy colony games.  it's one of the few good ways to reach $11 with some consistency there, as a lot of the time you're better off just going for provinces on those kinds of boards.

i've also had some success with the "mountebank counter" idea.  i'll pick up one mountebank then a bunch of counting houses, and it seems to wreck people who ignore CH.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 10:11:15 am »
+2

Counting house combos with Warehouse (obviously). Another nice one is Artficer. Close to a re-shuffle, you discard everything to gain a Counting House, buy a copper with you $1 from Artificer, and then next turn play the counting house.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 06:18:34 am »

Counting house combos with Warehouse (obviously). Another nice one is Artficer. Close to a re-shuffle, you discard everything to gain a Counting House, buy a copper with you $1 from Artificer, and then next turn play the counting house.

Everything that discards can be good. Cellar/Counting House is also nice, I really made an otherwise mediocre engine (due to lack of Copper trashing) shine that way.

It's sad that Counting House is ignorable so often, it's such a cool card. I still think it shouldn't be dead last on the Qvist $5 rankings.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 08:21:22 am »

I view this as terminal money and terminal money at $5+ that's not an attack is often pretty bad.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 08:35:03 am »
+9

Counting House is awful. Proof? Running Counting House BM against Ultimate Big Money (no actions), we find that Counting House barely wins the coin flip. Freaking Moat BM is better than Counting House, too.

By that logic, it's still better than Village.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 01:14:54 pm »

Depends on the Village you're talking about. Also, by that, you are now claiming that Counting House is an engine card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »

Depends on the Village you're talking about. Also, by that, you are now claiming that Counting House is an engine card.

There is only one card whose name is Village. Also, yes, Counting House is an engine card. It is also a slog card and a combo card. It is not a big money card, so you shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't perform well in big money.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 01:41:21 pm »

Counting House also does not do well with many combos, or slogs, or really with anything at all. Counting House is one of the worst cards in all of Dominion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »
+2

Counting House also does not do well with many combos, or slogs, or really with anything at all. Counting House is one of the worst cards in all of Dominion.

That is true, but you can't prove that with big money simulations.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 01:47:37 pm »

That is true, but you can't prove that with big money simulations.

Alright, you win.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 02:14:32 pm »
+2

i will still defend counting house in really bad colony slogs.  even before adventures, i ranked it above cache & harvest
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.152 seconds with 20 queries.