Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My First Empire - Triumph/Charm is nuts  (Read 1321 times)

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
My First Empire - Triumph/Charm is nuts
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »
+3

Code: [Select]
Bazaar, Chancellor, Charm, Council Room, Crown, Harvest, Merchant Ship, Palace, Peddler, Shelters, Triumph, Warehouse, Wine Merchant
Alriiight, first Empires game! Got the fiance and 2 of our friends, and the randomizer has graced us with 4 hot new cards (ok there was a little encouragement there)

Right out the gate you can see this is gonna be a slow starter that absolutely explodes in the midgame. So:
- (as expected with Empires) what's the best way to make fat stacks of VP? Is Palace even worth thinking about? What's the deal with Triumph?
- What are my early 5s?

I decided to go with Charm as my first 5. I had opened with Silver/Silver (Palace + 4p village scarcity swaying me away from Chancellor), so I figured I might get lucky and get a double 5. nope, oh well. probably shoulda gone council room first.

Anyway once the engine gets going things are pretty obvious, load up on Bazaar, CR, and Crown. I got a second Charm which felt good. Now, I just thought Charm looked cool for building this pricy engine, but suddenly one turn I have $20, 5 buys, and triple Charm (from Crowning one of them). And it's like a ray of light reaches through the window and falls lovingly on Triumph.

First buy: Crown-CR-Bazaar-Duchy (didn't realize at the time that each Charm could get the same card, i.e. Duchy, but I ended up getting another turn so it was a happy accident)
Second buy: Peddler (free)
Third buy: Triumph, for 7VP counting the Estate
Pay off 5 debt
Fourth buy: Triumph, for 8VP
Pay off 5 debt
Fifth buy: Triumph, for 9VP
Pay off 5 debt

Not bad.

P.S. how does everyone feel about Empires game reports, since obviously these will never have logs?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: My First Empire - Triumph/Charm is nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:57:00 pm »

Triumph is going to be such a brokenly good Engine card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 06:42:55 pm »

Should have taken three coppers with the peddler for 9 more VP. Or, if you want to max out VP on that turn:

First buy: Bazaar, 3x Duchy
Second buy: Cr, 3x Duchy
Third buy: Crown, 3x Duchy
Fourth buy: Triumph
Fifth buy: Triumph (left with 5 debt)

29 points in 9 duchies and 2 estates, and 13/14 VP tokens from Triumphs for 56 VP total on just 20 coins and five buys. Of course you did just add 11 stop cards to your deck, but you also probably just won.

EDIT: I knew it was too good to be true. Then the best you can do is:

5-cost and 3 Duchies
4 Triumphs

For 13 VP in 3 Duchies and 4 Estates and 5/6/7/8 VP from triumphs for 39 VP total.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:51:37 pm by liopoil »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »
+2

Should have taken three coppers with the peddler for 9 more VP. Or, if you want to max out VP on that turn:

First buy: Bazaar, 3x Duchy
Second buy: Cr, 3x Duchy
Third buy: Crown, 3x Duchy
Fourth buy: Triumph
Fifth buy: Triumph (left with 5 debt)

29 points in 9 duchies and 2 estates, and 13/14 VP tokens from Triumphs for 56 VP total on just 20 coins and five buys. Of course you did just add 11 stop cards to your deck, but you also probably just won.

Unfortunately, Donald likes breaking our hearts and Charm only works on the first buy.  :-[ ;)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.