Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Difference between "in your deck" and "have" when scoring?  (Read 3209 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Difference between "in your deck" and "have" when scoring?
« on: June 15, 2016, 03:51:50 pm »

Cards that score at the end of the game say "in your deck", e.g. Gardens, Vineyard...

The Landmarks instead talk about cards that "you have".

I'm guessing that it's the same thing. I just want to make sure there is no intended difference between the two?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between "in your deck" and "have" when scoring?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:40:44 pm »
+2

It's the same thing! Both are correct, since all your cards go back into your deck before scoring, but "you have" is more clear, since it doesn't require you to know that rule.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 04:48:21 pm »

It's the same thing! Both are correct, since all your cards go back into your deck before scoring, but "you have" is more clear, since it doesn't require you to know that rule.

I think the rule has been made a bit unclear for some by Island saying explicitly that you are supposed to follow the general rule for it.

And then of course all wreaked havoc with Distant Lands for which you are implicitly supposed to bend the general rule.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 04:49:04 pm »

That rule also made Distant Lands a bit confusing. :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:56:31 pm »
+4

Indeed. It's too bad Distant Lands wasn't in Prosperity or Empires, then it could have simply been a regular action that was a one-shot take 4 VP tokens.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 04:57:13 pm »
+1

Time to break out the common sense there, though. A ruling that made Distant Lands always worth 0 VP would make no sense.

Perhaps when Donald is available, he will either correct me or make a new ruling about whether all cards return to your deck before scoring. But I am 100% confident that "in your deck" and "that you have" are intended to be identical in Victory clauses, and they include all cards that are "yours", including ones that you have in play, set aside, etc.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 05:01:18 pm »
+2

Indeed. It's too bad Distant Lands wasn't in Prosperity or Empires, then it could have simply been a regular action that was a one-shot take 4 VP tokens.

This is true! There was an Adventures outtake (which you can read about in the secret history) that allowed you to put any card on your Tavern mat, and that would have been a significant difference between a Reserve Distant Lands and a one-shot Distant Lands. But as it stands, I think the only real difference between the two versions is the lack of interaction with Graverobber and Rogue.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:13:55 pm »
+2

This is true! There was an Adventures outtake (which you can read about in the secret history) that allowed you to put any card on your Tavern mat, and that would have been a significant difference between a Reserve Distant Lands and a one-shot Distant Lands. But as it stands, I think the only real difference between the two versions is the lack of interaction with Graverobber and Rogue.

And interaction with any things that care about victory type of course. Though the one-shot version could have been action-victory worth 0 I suppose. But people would complain about that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:04:55 pm »

Time to break out the common sense there, though. A ruling that made Distant Lands always worth 0 VP would make no sense.

Yeah, I didn't meant that the function of the card itself was confusing, rather how does it interact with Gardens, Silk Roads...
Come to think of it, the same is true of the Coppers that Miser puts there. Without Distant Lands, everything on the Tavern Mat could just go in your deck before scoring along with all other cards. But because of Distant Lands, we have this half-way state where cards on your Tavern Mat "count as part of your deck".

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:13 pm »
+1

Clearly these things should have said "cards in your Dominion".

...but of course that is another term to define and confuse people with.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:51:46 pm »
+1

Cards that score at the end of the game say "in your deck", e.g. Gardens, Vineyard...

The Landmarks instead talk about cards that "you have".

I'm guessing that it's the same thing. I just want to make sure there is no intended difference between the two?
The only intended difference is increased clarity.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 08:37:21 pm »
+1

And interaction with any things that care about victory type of course. Though the one-shot version could have been action-victory worth 0 I suppose. But people would complain about that.
Also the interaction with Band of Misfits (via Ferry) and Overlord.  As it is, when BoM or Overlord mimics Distant Lands, it moves to your Tavern mat, then immediately reverts to BoM/Overlord, so you don't get the VP.  If Distant Lands trashed itself for VP tokens, BoM or Overlord would be able to mimic that effectively (they'd still revert when they hit the trash, but that wouldn't stop them from carrying out the rest of the on-play ability, i.e., taking the Victory tokens).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.