Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 7: Prosperity (Results!)  (Read 35579 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 7: Prosperity (Finalists!)
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2016, 07:47:13 am »

I think Proliferate is a weird but interesting idea. Not sure i'd pick it as a Prosperity representative, but beyond that i don't get where the hate comes from.
I dislike how Collector draws players into mirrors with it's all-too-obvious self-interaction, but it's nice beyond that.
Consortium still is an AP-inducing and semi-political guessing game in my opinion.
Dividends is nice, but probably a bit cheap. It would work better if it gave $0, so it's a Gold that gains Gold.
Nothing bad to say about Investor.
Minister looks worse than it is, which makes it a poor pick to send into this contest. I still think it's decently balanced, but i can't blame anybody for thinking it looks weak. Also it might have a little too much going on.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2016, 11:07:57 am »

Voting will end at the same time as the Landmark submissions close. (Which may be slightly delayed - my sister is scheduled to be induced on Thursday, if baby doesn't come before that.) I'll send reminders out today or tomorrow.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 03:55:16 pm »

Revised deadline is Monday.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2016, 12:00:28 pm »
+1

Results:

Collector (trivialknot) - 91
Proliferate (spiralstaircase) - 62
Investor (math) - 58
Minister (Asper) - 56
Consortium (eHalcyon) - 52
Dividends (ConMan) - 45

Congrats to trivialknot, running away with this one!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 7: Prosperity (Results!)
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2016, 12:22:23 pm »
+1

Congrats trivialknot! I'm glad Collector made it. :)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2016, 12:32:11 pm »
+3

Yay I won!    ;D

I tried not to say much about my own card when it was being discussed, but I'll add a few thoughts now.  I designed Collector specifically in response to the competition, and had not shared it elsewhere.  The basic idea is to combine two things that normally can't go together--a draw-to-X card, and a lab.  At some point, I had considered making it draw-to-5, or having it discard a treasure for $1.  But I like playing the treasure because it inspires you to make use of all those alternate treasures in Prosperity.  The Collector-Quarry-Workshop combos probably aren't actually that common, but they're fun to think about.

I have no particular attachment to the name.  I was thinking Collector as in a coin collector.

I was surprised how much people discussed the interactive part of it--where each opponent may discard a card.  Mostly I thought it was a cute interaction between players, and you know, put those wherever you can.

I haven't tested it, so I'm not sure how powerful it is.  However, my instinct is that if I had the choice to nerf or buff it, I would buff it.  The main point of comparison is Advisor, which can hurt you if you only have a few, but can draw your deck when you have a lot.  Collectors are similar--if you have a few they act like cantrips, but if you have many they're like cheaper labs.  However, Collector seems tougher to pull off, since you need a more treasure-dense deck, and it might just choke on three greens.  On the plus side, it has the usual draw-to-X synergies--native villages, warehouses, villas, etc.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2016, 03:06:59 pm »
+1

Congratulations on the victory, trivialknot. Collector is a fine card and nicely combines several themes of Prosperity.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:59 pm »
+2

Well done trivialknot.

When the contest started, I'd jotted down a list of ideas for each expansion, and given thought (and in some cases even a bit of playtesting) to each one.  When this came up, I realised I'd forgotten Prosperity.  Profiterole was just the first thing that came to mind.  I didn't expect it to be so controversial.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2016, 05:45:40 pm »
+1

Congrats!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2016, 12:30:57 am »
+1

Congratulations trivialknot! Your card is a solid winner, and provides a good balance of Prosperity themes, especially in combination with Indulgence from the previous contest.

My entry was Dividends, and I knew it was not going to have a great chance but I was happy to see it make the run-off vote. After all, it was almost exactly the same card I'd entered in the previous Prosperity contest, with a single difference - changing its price from $6 to $7. And I do enjoy seeing how the discussion changed on it due to that change. Still, I think it's a solid card, if not a mind-blowing one (and I would be interested in seeing whether it would be a fairer card without the +$1, but I assume that at some point its utility as a Gold-gainer loses its shine).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.