Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 40144 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +933
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2021, 05:11:38 pm »
+5

If you play an emulator such as Band of Misfits, which then plays a Treasure Map, you can't trash the Treasure Map from the supply, so you will fail to gain 4 Golds.

I dont understand, why i'm trashing the Map from the supply? BoM is in play, emulating Map, so the emulated Map tells me to trash itself and another Map from my hand? Do i missunderstand an emulator?

depends whether you're playing with the 2019 emulator/inheritance errata or not.

If you are, the BoM plays the Treasure Map from the supply, leaving it there - it cannot trash itself (can't move the card from the supply), and so cannot have trashed two Treasure Maps, so you don't get the Golds.

If you aren't, then the BoM "becomes" a Treasure Map, trashes itself (leaving play) and a Treasure Map from your hand, and so you didn't trash two Treasure Maps (the BoM is a BoM now, because it left play), so you don't get the Golds.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4059
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »
+2

If you play an emulator such as Band of Misfits, which then plays a Treasure Map, you can't trash the Treasure Map from the supply, so you will fail to gain 4 Golds.

I dont understand, why i'm trashing the Map from the supply? BoM is in play, emulating Map, so the emulated Map tells me to trash itself and another Map from my hand? Do i missunderstand an emulator?

BoM is in play, emulating Treasure Map; you don't have a Treasure Map in play. So you can't trash a Treasure Map from play. The emulated Treasure Map is itself in the supply, but what it wants you to do (implicitly) is to trash it from play. So you can't trash it from play because it's not in play; and you can't trash it from the supply because it wants you to trash it from play. (This in an instance of the "Stop-Moving Rule": you can't follow an instruction to move a card if the card's location is not where the instruction presupposes it to be.)

dane-m

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2021, 12:55:30 pm »
+1

The first instruction on Treasure Map is "Trash this and a Treasure Map from your hand."
The second instruction is "If you trashed two Treasure Maps, gain 4 Golds onto your deck."

BoM has played a Treasure Map that is in the Supply, so when that Treasure Map tries to trash itself, it fails to find itself where it is expecting to, namely in play.  Therefore the Treasure Map in the supply does not get trashed, so you have not trashed two Treasure Maps, so don't satisfy the condition for gaining 4 Golds.

majiponi

• Minion
  • Respect: +593
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2021, 11:34:48 pm »

I played an Opulent Castle and discarded a Tunnel.

Am I FORCED to gain a Gold?
(An Opulent Castle forces me to reveal what I discard.)

Jeebus

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1318
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2021, 01:30:37 am »

I played an Opulent Castle and discarded a Tunnel.

Am I FORCED to gain a Gold?
(An Opulent Castle forces me to reveal what I discard.)

No. This is actually answered in the rulebook:

"Revealing it is optional, even if Tunnel was already revealed for some other reason; you are not forced to gain a Gold."

majiponi

• Minion
  • Respect: +593
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2021, 06:33:08 pm »

Border Guard is set aside with Way of the mouse.
I have Lantern, and have a Haunted Woods in play.
I gain a Province.
My opponent plays a Black Cat to play Lantern.
Does she reveal two cards?

(Isn't Lantern's effect different from "during your turns" effect, right?)

Dominionaer

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2021, 02:24:24 am »
+1

You having Lantern and playing Boder Guard reveal three cards.
Opponent (without Lantern) playing Boder Guard reveals two cards.

Jeebus

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1318
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2021, 04:29:58 am »

Yes, Artifacts (and States) only apply to the player having them. So "Border Guards you play" refers to YOU, the player with Lantern.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.