Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66480 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2021, 05:11:38 pm »
+5

If you play an emulator such as Band of Misfits, which then plays a Treasure Map, you can't trash the Treasure Map from the supply, so you will fail to gain 4 Golds.

I dont understand, why i'm trashing the Map from the supply? BoM is in play, emulating Map, so the emulated Map tells me to trash itself and another Map from my hand? Do i missunderstand an emulator?

depends whether you're playing with the 2019 emulator/inheritance errata or not.

If you are, the BoM plays the Treasure Map from the supply, leaving it there - it cannot trash itself (can't move the card from the supply), and so cannot have trashed two Treasure Maps, so you don't get the Golds.

If you aren't, then the BoM "becomes" a Treasure Map, trashes itself (leaving play) and a Treasure Map from your hand, and so you didn't trash two Treasure Maps (the BoM is a BoM now, because it left play), so you don't get the Golds.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »
+2

If you play an emulator such as Band of Misfits, which then plays a Treasure Map, you can't trash the Treasure Map from the supply, so you will fail to gain 4 Golds.

I dont understand, why i'm trashing the Map from the supply? BoM is in play, emulating Map, so the emulated Map tells me to trash itself and another Map from my hand? Do i missunderstand an emulator?

BoM is in play, emulating Treasure Map; you don't have a Treasure Map in play. So you can't trash a Treasure Map from play. The emulated Treasure Map is itself in the supply, but what it wants you to do (implicitly) is to trash it from play. So you can't trash it from play because it's not in play; and you can't trash it from the supply because it wants you to trash it from play. (This in an instance of the "Stop-Moving Rule": you can't follow an instruction to move a card if the card's location is not where the instruction presupposes it to be.)

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2021, 12:55:30 pm »
+1

The first instruction on Treasure Map is "Trash this and a Treasure Map from your hand."
The second instruction is "If you trashed two Treasure Maps, gain 4 Golds onto your deck."

BoM has played a Treasure Map that is in the Supply, so when that Treasure Map tries to trash itself, it fails to find itself where it is expecting to, namely in play.  Therefore the Treasure Map in the supply does not get trashed, so you have not trashed two Treasure Maps, so don't satisfy the condition for gaining 4 Golds.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2021, 11:34:48 pm »

I played an Opulent Castle and discarded a Tunnel.

Am I FORCED to gain a Gold?
(An Opulent Castle forces me to reveal what I discard.)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2021, 01:30:37 am »
+1

I played an Opulent Castle and discarded a Tunnel.

Am I FORCED to gain a Gold?
(An Opulent Castle forces me to reveal what I discard.)

No. This is actually answered in the rulebook:

"Revealing it is optional, even if Tunnel was already revealed for some other reason; you are not forced to gain a Gold."

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2021, 06:33:08 pm »

Border Guard is set aside with Way of the mouse.
I have Lantern, and have a Haunted Woods in play.
I gain a Province.
My opponent plays a Black Cat to play Lantern.
Does she reveal two cards?

(Isn't Lantern's effect different from "during your turns" effect, right?)

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2021, 02:24:24 am »
+1

You having Lantern and playing Boder Guard reveal three cards.
Opponent (without Lantern) playing Boder Guard reveals two cards.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2021, 04:29:58 am »

Yes, Artifacts (and States) only apply to the player having them. So "Border Guards you play" refers to YOU, the player with Lantern.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2022, 11:33:17 am »

I've throned a duration card and for that, the TR will stay in play too. So would TR count the whole time before it would be discarded as a card in play? Additionally, can i scheme a TR, that thrones a duration in the first turn or the last turn of which the duration does something? I think i can only scheme a TR, if the TR would be discarded (2nd turn)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2022, 02:44:42 pm »
+1

I've throned a duration card and for that, the TR will stay in play too. So would TR count the whole time before it would be discarded as a card in play?

Yes, it's in play as long as the Duration card is, and it counts for Peddler and Changeling and Horn of Plenty and so on.

Additionally, can i scheme a TR, that thrones a duration in the first turn or the last turn of which the duration does something? I think i can only scheme a TR, if the TR would be discarded (2nd turn)
[/quote

Right, you can scheme a Throne Room when it's discarded from play, which means on the same turn the Duration is discarded from play.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
IGG vs Trader
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2022, 08:10:32 pm »

IGG vs Trader vs Border Village

Im confused bout the rulings written to the named cards.

I cant use IGGs cursing, because i dont gain IGG, when i reveal trader for it, but i can use the effect of BV, despite reacting with trader for it?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: IGG vs Trader
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2022, 09:04:15 pm »
+3

IGG vs Trader vs Border Village

Im confused bout the rulings written to the named cards.

I cant use IGGs cursing, because i dont gain IGG, when i reveal trader for it, but i can use the effect of BV, despite reacting with trader for it?

I think it might just be rulings based on different versions of Trader. First edition Trader had you do something instead of gaining a card, so you never actually gained that card. New edition Trader has you gain the card, and then exchange it. So with new edition Trader, both IGG and Border Village should trigger like normal. With first edition Trader, neither IGG nor Border Village should trigger.

Note that on the Trader wiki page, the thing about Ill-Gotten-Gains is written under "Deprecated official FAQ (2016)". And the quote from Donald X. that's written on the IGG page is from a long time ago when new Trader wasn't around.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:06:10 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2022, 12:13:49 pm »

Can you play berserker or trail and then exchange it with changing or trader when you gain a berserker? It is effectively being gained to play, and gain to hand can be exchanged.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:18:15 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2022, 12:20:46 pm »
+1

Can you play berserker and then exchange it with changing or trader when you gain a berserker? It is effectively being gained to play, and gain to hand can be exchanged.

No. Berserker is not effectively being gained to play, it is gained normally, and then played from your discard pile. After you gain it and it is in your discard pile, you have 2 options:

1) Play Berserker. It moves to in-play, and then when you try to use Changeling to exchange it, the exchange fails because of the stop-moving rule.
2) Exchange Berserker for a Changeling. The exchange succeeds, and then you try to play Berserker but fail to do so because of the stop-moving rule combined with the new rule that says you can't play cards that can't be moved into play.

Under the old rules, you could exchange the Berserker and then play it, it would get played but stay in the supply pile. But new rules say you can't play a card which can't be moved to in-play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2022, 12:34:01 pm »

Thanks! What about trashing with watchtower?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:35:14 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2022, 12:39:51 pm »

Thanks! What about trashing with watchtower?

It would be the same thing; you either trash it with Watchtower's on-gain, or play it with Berserker's on-gain, but once you do one of those, the other will fail.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2022, 02:18:21 pm »
+1

But new rules say you can't play a card which can't be moved to in-play.

Or more accurately, you can't play a card that is lost track of. A Band of Misfits can play any card from the supply even though it doesn't move it to play. Okay, you could say that the card CAN be moved to play, it's just that the BoM doesn't do it. But I still think it's confusing to link this rule to "moving to play", since it doesn't always happen. It's really about losing track, just like the stop-moving rule is. (They are both effectively parts of the lose-track rule).

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2022, 02:24:27 pm »

Are there any ways to draw night cards in mass without drawing treasure cards? (or more than 1 treasure card). Or a night and a treasure?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:02:17 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:33 pm »

Are there any ways to draw night cards in mass without drawing treasure cards? (or more than 1 treasure card). Or a night and a treasure?

No, drawing doesn't care about card types
They/them

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2022, 05:37:33 am »
+2

Although there's nothing to stop such a card existing. This is a perfectly rules-legal card:

Night Golem
Night - $4
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal two Night cards. Put them into your hand, then discard the other revealed cards.

(It's not a very strong card, because by the time it's played, you've probably drawn most of your deck anyway.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2022, 10:05:46 pm »

Although there's nothing to stop such a card existing. This is a perfectly rules-legal card:

Night Golem
Night - $4
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal two Night cards. Put them into your hand, then discard the other revealed cards.

(It's not a very strong card, because by the time it's played, you've probably drawn most of your deck anyway.)

Ah, true, although that isn't technically "drawing" per se

(One advantage of that card would be that, since it comes after the Buy phase, you could put a Night card that you just bought into your hand with it - but yeah, I agree that in a lot of games it would be weak, especially if you have a strong deck-drawing engine)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:09:05 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2022, 10:43:06 pm »
+2

Yeah putting into hand is different from 'drawing', drawing doesn't care about type.

There's one that can put several other types of cards in hand while always discarding those with only the Night type: Hunter.
My opponent has more loot than me

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2022, 12:14:52 pm »

I understand +cards doesn't care about type, but "drawing" is a concept that in my mind includes "put into hand." I was wondering if any such put into hand card exists that can put into my hand 1+ night cards and 1- treasure cards, with 0+ actions and victories.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 04:15:29 pm by IlstrawberrySeed »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2022, 06:07:13 pm »

I understand +cards doesn't care about type, but "drawing" is a concept that in my mind includes "put into hand." I was wondering if any such put into hand card exists that can put into my hand 1+ night cards and 1- treasure cards, with 0+ actions and victories.

Depends on what you mean by “can”… if you mean it is possible to play the card and choose to skip actions, then you have things like Library which comes close to what you describe. If you mean that it can’t ever put an action into your hand, but it can put a night into your hand, then no, there’s no such card.

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2022, 02:10:50 pm »

Note that actions and victories are 0+; I need something that cannot put more than 1 treasure card in my hand, while letting me night cards. I use hunter for actions and victories, so If necessary I can drain my deck to just treasures and nights.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.