Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66478 times)

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2020, 04:43:25 am »
+1

There has never been the case that Vassal or similar cards cause Durations to stay; only Throne Room variants. There were some changes to the underlying rule though.
But I don't think the stop-moving errata could be relevant in any case, since it only dealt with moving covered cards in your discard pile.

The question is, what exactly is a Throne Room variant? Newer cards like Scepter play a card only once, but are still considered "Throne Room" variants. So the difference between Vassal playing a Village Green that was already played this turn and a Scepter playing a Village Green that was already played this turn is IMO hard to pin down exactly.

So the practical solution (in my understanding) is to say we "know" a Throne Room variant when we see it, and Vassal doesn't fit.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
+1

There has never been the case that Vassal or similar cards cause Durations to stay; only Throne Room variants. There were some changes to the underlying rule though.
But I don't think the stop-moving errata could be relevant in any case, since it only dealt with moving covered cards in your discard pile.

The question is, what exactly is a Throne Room variant? Newer cards like Scepter play a card only once, but are still considered "Throne Room" variants. So the difference between Vassal playing a Village Green that was already played this turn and a Scepter playing a Village Green that was already played this turn is IMO hard to pin down exactly.

So the practical solution (in my understanding) is to say we "know" a Throne Room variant when we see it, and Vassal doesn't fit.

Wouldn't the definition for TR variants be a card that can only ever replay a card (vs a card that can replay a card, but isn't defined as such)? i.e TR variants that only play a card once still use the keyword "replay".
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2020, 10:42:24 am »

Yeah, TR variants are cards that actually tell you to replay a card - either explicitly (by saying "replay") or implicitly by saying to play it more than once.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2020, 03:55:20 pm »
+1

The Oracle and Village Green changes aren't official errata yet; they will be when there are physical copies of those cards with those wordings. For Hinterlands that should be coming up (and there are more rewordings there, but only one other functional change: Trader will exchange the card for a Silver).

Stef wanted these two changes in advance and I said sure.

Okay. So this is different from the errata and rules changes from last September then? Because those were officially announced several places even though the physical cards were not out.
It's not that same errata; it's not errata I felt like I had to announce. New copies of Seaside / Prosperity / Hinterlands were being printed. Did I have any changes? Yes. Mostly just better wordings. There are three main things that changed: treasures with a when-play now no longer say "when you play this"; treasures that make +$ now use "+$" instead of "worth"; and cards that do something while in play now say "while you have this in play" when that's what they mean. Noble Brigand now has a dividing line but there's no actual functional change there, just a better wording.

Embargo is of course different as per the announced errata. Otherwise the functional changes are +2 Cards on Oracle (thus reverting to what most printed copies say), and Trader using "exchange" instead of "instead" (an actual functional change that normally doesn't matter but which I wanted to simplify some situations and well get rid of a mess).

I don't know when copies will actually appear. It's been months, but. When my copies show up I will mention it. Stef didn't implement Trader but for whatever reason wanted to implement Oracle. And then Village Green, it's a mistake that mostly doesn't matter, which I can't fix for a while, but Stef could just fix it.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2020, 04:04:34 pm »

It's not that same errata; it's not errata I felt like I had to announce. New copies of Seaside / Prosperity / Hinterlands were being printed. Did I have any changes? Yes. Mostly just better wordings. There are three main things that changed: treasures with a when-play now no longer say "when you play this"; treasures that make +$ now use "+$" instead of "worth"; and cards that do something while in play now say "while you have this in play" when that's what they mean. Noble Brigand now has a dividing line but there's no actual functional change there, just a better wording.

Embargo is of course different as per the announced errata. Otherwise the functional changes are +2 Cards on Oracle (thus reverting to what most printed copies say), and Trader using "exchange" instead of "instead" (an actual functional change that normally doesn't matter but which I wanted to simplify some situations and well get rid of a mess).

I don't know when copies will actually appear. It's been months, but. When my copies show up I will mention it. Stef didn't implement Trader but for whatever reason wanted to implement Oracle. And then Village Green, it's a mistake that mostly doesn't matter, which I can't fix for a while, but Stef could just fix it.

Thanks. I knew about Trader from that thread.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Golem
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2020, 03:59:02 pm »

Hi there,

I'm going to play golem.
I also know, that i have only one more action card (saying it would be hamlet) left in my deck.
So, do i have to stop searching or digging for another 2nd action card, when i already have drawn hamlet?

The official faq says, that if i find one action i have to play it. Do i play that card immediately? Or am i forced to dig through my deck, although i have only one more action card and play hamlet after searching the deck and the new shuffled draw pile?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: Golem
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2020, 04:20:39 pm »
+3

You search until you find 2 or have flipped over your entire deck. (So in your case, yes you keep digging.)

Then, you play all revealed action cards (either 0 or 1 or 2) in an order you choose.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2020, 05:17:37 pm »

You search until you find 2 or have flipped over your entire deck. (So in your case, yes you keep digging.)

Do i have to shuffle my discard pile, making it a new draw pile and continue searching?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2020, 05:35:10 pm »

Do i have to shuffle my discard pile, making it a new draw pile and continue searching?

Yes, that's the general rule, whenever you're drawing, if you don't have enough cards in your deck, you shuffle your discard - but keep in mind that the cards you're looking through with Golem don't go into the discard pile until you've found the second action or gone through your whole deck
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »
+1

Yes, that's the general rule, whenever you're drawing, if you don't have enough cards in your deck, you shuffle your discard - but keep in mind that the cards you're looking through with Golem don't go into the discard pile until you've found the second action or gone through your whole deck

To clarify, it's whenever you need to do anything with the top of your deck; not just whenever you're drawing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2020, 09:03:09 pm »

To clarify, it's whenever you need to do anything with the top of your deck; not just whenever you're drawing.

Good point.  And this technically isn't "drawing" either, it's revealing cards from the top of the deck
They/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2020, 10:21:51 am »
+1

I'm surprised I don't know this, but if I play a village green in reponse to a discard attack and decide to play it right away, do I have to discard back down to 3?

(So concretely, you play Militia, I discard VG Copper, I play VG, get back to 4 cards, discard again (?))

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2020, 10:48:27 am »
+2

I'm surprised I don't know this, but if I play a village green in reponse to a discard attack and decide to play it right away, do I have to discard back down to 3?

(So concretely, you play Militia, I discard VG Copper, I play VG, get back to 4 cards, discard again (?))

That is not a simple rules question! It was discussed in the Menagerie preview thread where Village Green was introduced, starting more or less with this post. That lead to a discussion about the timing for discard attacks like Militia in general. Both topics continued in this thread. As far as I understand, the old rule stands that Militia causes you to discard one at a time. This means that with Village Green you potentially have to discard back down to 3. I'm not sure if Donald ever ruled on that particular question though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 10:54:31 am by Jeebus »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2020, 01:28:45 pm »
+1

I still tentatively plan to change that to, discard all at once, then do the Village Greens.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2020, 10:57:34 pm »

I still tentatively plan to change that to, discard all at once, then do the Village Greens.

I strongly support this change.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2020, 04:49:10 pm »

Does discarding from Exile count for Tunnel's reaction?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2020, 05:09:49 pm »

Does discarding from Exile count for Tunnel's reaction?

Yes. The wording it uses on the mat and in the rules is "discard all other copies of it from here" (as opposed to "put all other copies of it from here into your discard pile"), so it counts. From the wiki:

Discarding a card from your Exile mat is discarding a card; if it happens other than in Clean-up, it can trigger Tunnel (from Hinterlands) or Village Green.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
    • View Profile
Stonemason vs. Potion
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2021, 05:45:34 pm »

i can overpay with potion;

so i have two questions:

1. May i overpay with more than one potion for any good reasons?
2. I'm overpaying with $2 and a potion, could i get 2 universitys?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2021, 08:38:19 pm »
+2

You can legally overpay by more than one potion, but not for any good reason: nothing costs more than one potion, so you can't gain anything that way.

If you overpay by exactly $2+potion, yes, you can gain two Universities.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2021, 08:34:34 pm »

Has a decision been made?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2021, 01:28:07 pm »

Has a decision been made?
It's not on my mind. I have no game night currently, etc.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2021, 03:48:56 pm »

Black Market basic rule:

The treasures played in my action phase remain in play until clean up? So, we're saying, if black market would be non-terminal, and i play conspirator after some money, i would get the cantrip effect of consp.?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2021, 04:28:29 pm »

Black Market basic rule:

The treasures played in my action phase remain in play until clean up? So, we're saying, if black market would be non-terminal, and i play conspirator after some money, i would get the cantrip effect of consp.?

Only if you played another Action as well. Black Market is an Action; you play some Treasures while playing Black Market, but those are probably not Actions; and then you play Conspirator, which would be your second Action. Conspirator only gives you the cantrip effect if it's your third action or later.

And yes, Treasures played in your Action phrase remain in play until clean-up (unless something removes them early, such as using Monastery to trash them).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2021, 05:46:01 pm »
+1

If the Treasures you played were also Actions, such as with Crown or Capitalism, then yes they would count for Conspirator just like any other Actions would.

Also note that your 2 questions being asked together imply you may be misunderstanding Conspirator. It doesn’t care how many Action cards are in play; only how many have been played so far this turn. Often those two numbers are the same amount, but not always. So even if cards played during Black Market were actions that went away before you played Conspirator; they would still count because they were played.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2021, 05:06:38 pm »

If you play an emulator such as Band of Misfits, which then plays a Treasure Map, you can't trash the Treasure Map from the supply, so you will fail to gain 4 Golds.

I dont understand, why i'm trashing the Map from the supply? BoM is in play, emulating Map, so the emulated Map tells me to trash itself and another Map from my hand? Do i missunderstand an emulator?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.