Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66542 times)

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2020, 03:10:04 pm »

Recommendations:

As far as i know, there are not more than a total of 2 Landmarks, Events, Projects etc. in a game recommended. That imo means, you couldn't take i.e. 1 landmark, 1 event and 1 project, because its a total of 3 things? Did shelters, heirlooms, boons and hexes count to this too?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2020, 03:23:07 pm »
+1

Recommendations:

As far as i know, there are not more than a total of 2 Landmarks, Events, Projects etc. in a game recommended. That imo means, you couldn't take i.e. 1 landmark, 1 event and 1 project, because its a total of 3 things? Did shelters, heirlooms, boons and hexes count to this too?
You can do whatever we want, but yes we recommend no more than two landscapes.

Shelters / heirlooms / platinum / colony don't interact with this; they're just other setup possibilities. Boons and hexes super don't have anything to do with this.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2020, 01:44:58 pm »

Hi there,

am i right, that in tournaments, a Kingdom can even consist the old cards like thief, secret chamber...

I never played on Such tournaments, so who decides, what cards are being used? Judges etc?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2020, 02:06:27 pm »

Hi there,

am i right, that in tournaments, a Kingdom can even consist the old cards like thief, secret chamber...

I never played on Such tournaments, so who decides, what cards are being used? Judges etc?

For online tournaments, no 1st edition removed cards like thief, secret chamber, etc. are ever used because they are not even in the online client.

For online and in-person tournaments, whoever is organizing the tournament decides what cards to use and what cards to not use. For instance, Adam Horton has set up many in-person tournaments in the past and has a banlist of cards he doesn't use (presumably because of fairness, swinginess, and set-up difficulty): http://adamhorton.com/flog/dominion-running-an-irl-tournament/ (see the "II. Format" section). Sometimes there is a focus on certain sets; a tournament now would likely focus on the new Menagerie expansion, for example.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2020, 03:30:10 pm »
+1

If the question is if the removed cards are somehow officially discontinued from the game of Dominion, the answer is no. If someone with the first edition of Dominion or Intrigue wants to shuffle in all their cards with any other expansion (or even cards from the second editions), that still counts as playing Dominion. And using those cards in a tournament would still be considered a Dominion tournament.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2020, 05:53:55 pm »
+1

I'd say whether or not 1st edition cards can be used is probably a decision for the organizers, rather than the arbiters.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2020, 04:02:39 am »

Quick question:
Can you remodel a P x$ cost to a P (x+2)$ cost?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2020, 05:24:06 am »
+4

Quick question:
Can you remodel a P x$ cost to a P (x+2)$ cost?

Yes.

Quote from: Alchemy Rulebook
If you use Remodel to trash a card costing , you gain a card costing up to , which could be a card costing , , , , and on down to .

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2020, 06:37:43 am »

I just noticed this "rules clarification" for Village Green on the wiki:

"If you play Vassal and discard Village Green, you can react with Village Green to play it, and then Vassal lets you play it too. Vassal is discarded from play that turn, regardless of whether Village Green stays out."

Does this mean that if you discard Village Green with Vassal, you can play Village Green twice?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2020, 06:48:22 am »
+2

"If you play Vassal and discard Village Green, you can react with Village Green to play it, and then Vassal lets you play it too. Vassal is discarded from play that turn, regardless of whether Village Green stays out."

Does this mean that if you discard Village Green with Vassal, you can play Village Green twice?

Yes. This is the exactly what Donald X. was referring to in the secret history.

Quote from: Secret history of Gamble
The wording changed late to get rid of a poor Village Green interaction (that Vassal has).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2020, 06:51:04 am »

Yes. This is the exactly what Donald X. was referring to in the secret history.

Quote from: Secret history of Gamble
The wording changed late to get rid of a poor Village Green interaction (that Vassal has).
wow. interesting.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2020, 07:18:39 am »
+1

Village Green can cause weird stuff. I think it's the only way you can play a card that is shuffled into your deck. Discard two Village Greens with an empty deck, then play the first one, shuffle, then play the second one.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2020, 09:22:27 am »

Why does Vassal get discarded at the end of the turn if Village Green stays out? I'm guessing something related to the stop-moving errata?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2020, 09:48:06 am »

Village Green can cause weird stuff. I think it's the only way you can play a card that is shuffled into your deck. Discard two Village Greens with an empty deck, then play the first one, shuffle, then play the second one.

At least online, Village Green has received errata so that's no longer the case; it now requires reveal just like Tunnel.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2020, 10:00:22 am »

Why does Vassal get discarded at the end of the turn if Village Green stays out? I'm guessing something related to the stop-moving errata?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20419.msg846450#msg846450

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2020, 10:40:44 am »

There has never been the case that Vassal or similar cards cause Durations to stay; only Throne Room variants. There were some changes to the underlying rule though.
But I don't think the stop-moving errata could be relevant in any case, since it only dealt with moving covered cards in your discard pile.

At least online, Village Green has received errata so that's no longer the case; it now requires reveal just like Tunnel.

Wow, I see this version in the Wiki, but I haven't seen anything about it in this forum, in the BGG forum or in the ShuffleIT forum. I assume that it's an official errata. I released the latest version of my rules document in August, and really wish I had known this, because now I have information there that is actually wrong. It's pretty disappointing that neither Donald or Stef posts about it anywhere, or at least lets me know.

EDIT: I googled into this page, which also lists Oracle as another secret errata: http://dominionleague.org/resources
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:47:39 am by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2020, 01:01:49 pm »

There has never been the case that Vassal or similar cards cause Durations to stay; only Throne Room variants. There were some changes to the underlying rule though.
But I don't think the stop-moving errata could be relevant in any case, since it only dealt with moving covered cards in your discard pile.

Ah, I just mis-remembered the cards that play duration cards rule.

Wow, I see this version in the Wiki, but I haven't seen anything about it in this forum, in the BGG forum or in the ShuffleIT forum. I assume that it's an official errata. I released the latest version of my rules document in August, and really wish I had known this, because now I have information there that is actually wrong. It's pretty disappointing that neither Donald or Stef posts about it anywhere, or at least lets me know.

EDIT: I googled into this page, which also lists Oracle as another secret errata: http://dominionleague.org/resources

Looks like you missed this rules thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20507.0
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:03:11 pm by GendoIkari »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2020, 01:27:27 pm »

Looks like you missed this rules thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20507.0

Yes, thanks. I searched here for "Village Green", but must have done something wrong. That thread is recent, and it seems this errata was already implemented (back in March if the wiki is to be believed). And there is also Oracle. As I said, it's bad that there are errata going on in the dark. Somehow it gets to the wiki, and the Dominion League people, but is not mentioned as an official errata, and it's disappointing that nobody cares to even inform me, since my rules document is meant to be the one place with all the correct rules and rulings.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2020, 01:34:32 pm »

What's the Oracle issue?

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2020, 01:51:39 pm »

What's the Oracle issue?
Two cards left, play oracle to reveal 2 village greens, discard. You play one, and now the other is shuffled into the deck.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2020, 02:03:34 pm »

What's the Oracle issue?

Check it out in the wiki. "+2 Cards" means it interacts with Way of the Chameleon; "draw 2 cards" means it doesn't.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2020, 03:23:46 pm »

Yes, thanks. I searched here for "Village Green", but must have done something wrong. That thread is recent, and it seems this errata was already implemented (back in March if the wiki is to be believed). And there is also Oracle. As I said, it's bad that there are errata going on in the dark. Somehow it gets to the wiki, and the Dominion League people, but is not mentioned as an official errata, and it's disappointing that nobody cares to even inform me, since my rules document is meant to be the one place with all the correct rules and rulings.

I'm assuming it's a Discord thing; Donald has mentioned a few times that more discussion takes place on Discord than here now.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2020, 03:24:31 pm »

What's the Oracle issue?

Check it out in the wiki. "+2 Cards" means it interacts with Way of the Chameleon; "draw 2 cards" means it doesn't.

I never really took notice of the second edition wording change; but I really feel like first edition was simpler and cleaner.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2020, 03:42:57 pm »
+2

The Oracle and Village Green changes aren't official errata yet; they will be when there are physical copies of those cards with those wordings. For Hinterlands that should be coming up (and there are more rewordings there, but only one other functional change: Trader will exchange the card for a Silver).

Stef wanted these two changes in advance and I said sure.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2020, 05:31:07 pm »

The Oracle and Village Green changes aren't official errata yet; they will be when there are physical copies of those cards with those wordings. For Hinterlands that should be coming up (and there are more rewordings there, but only one other functional change: Trader will exchange the card for a Silver).

Stef wanted these two changes in advance and I said sure.

Okay. So this is different from the errata and rules changes from last September then? Because those were officially announced several places even though the physical cards were not out.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.