Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66203 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2017, 12:12:34 pm »

It is exactly and literally what the card says, "at the start of your turn". So after a Militia attack, you'll normally have 8 cards.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2017, 01:02:08 pm »

Compare the wording on tactician with the wording on expedition. They are different; getting militia'd after an expedition leaves you with three cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2017, 01:59:24 pm »

Hence why it's usually not a good idea to venture on an Expedition if Ghost Ships are prowling the seas.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2017, 10:39:59 am »
+1

is a -1 card token completely punked by "draw to X" like library?  or will you only draw to X-1?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2017, 10:41:34 am »
+6

is a -1 card token completely punked by "draw to X" like library?  or will you only draw to X-1?

The former. Library will draw you up to 7.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2017, 07:29:31 pm »
+5

And it will clear your -1 Card token at the same time (or technically it will do that first).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:05 pm »
+1

And it will clear your -1 Card token at the same time (or technically it will do that first).

Though if you have 7 or more cards when you play Library, nothing will happen; you won't get rid of the token.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: mistgun
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2017, 02:27:02 pm »
+2

And that's normal in an algorithmic sense of the game :
while player.hand.size < 7:
    player.draw()

And if player.hand.size ≥ 7, it does nothing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:28:05 pm by rubikbeggar »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 09:29:16 pm »
+1

And that's normal in an algorithmic sense of the game :
while player.hand.size < 7:
    player.draw()

And if player.hand.size ≥ 7, it does nothing.

Correct, though unfortunately for computer science people, the card uses "until", which could imply the much less common "do until" loop:

Do
    player.draw()
Loop Until player.hand.size = 7

This is of course wrong, and if it were right, then playing Library while you already had 7 or more cards would draw your deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2017, 02:56:55 pm »
+1

Gosh. By a strictoverly-pedantic reading of the card text (old or new) and FAQ, Library draws your entire deck if you play it with eight cards in hand. I'd not noticed that before.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:47 am »
+2

Gosh. By a strictoverly-pedantic reading of the card text (old or new) and FAQ, Library draws your entire deck if you play it with eight cards in hand. I'd not noticed that before.

No. In Dominion-land, if you have 8 or more cards in your hand, you have 7 cards in your hand. You just also have additional cards. Unless it says "exactly", there is an implied "at least".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2017, 11:25:26 am »
+6

No. In Dominion-land, if you have 8 or more cards in your hand, you have 7 cards in your hand. You just also have additional cards. Unless it says "exactly", there is an implied "at least".

How many months of the year have 28 days?

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +637
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2017, 11:30:09 am »
+14

How many months of the year have 28 days?

Well, I mean any number between 1 and 12 is a correct answer to this isn't it? If 12 months have 28 days, then 3 months do...
Or did you mean "Exactly how many months of the year have 28 days?"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:32:44 am by infangthief »

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2017, 10:01:42 pm »
+3

No. In Dominion-land, if you have 8 or more cards in your hand, you have 7 cards in your hand.
...except for in the contexts where you have 7 cards in your hand if you have 7 or fewer? Militia's "Each other player discards down to 3 cards in his hand." by a similar (again, let me stress, pedantic) reading might be construed as meaning people have to keep discarding until they have exactly 3 cards in hand, or they can discard no more because their hand is empty. It would certainly make Militia a more powerful attack!

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +637
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2017, 01:40:40 am »
+5

No. In Dominion-land, if you have 8 or more cards in your hand, you have 7 cards in your hand.
...except for in the contexts where you have 7 cards in your hand if you have 7 or fewer? Militia's "Each other player discards down to 3 cards in his hand." by a similar (again, let me stress, pedantic) reading might be construed as meaning people have to keep discarding until they have exactly 3 cards in hand, or they can discard no more because their hand is empty. It would certainly make Militia a more powerful attack!

Or alternatively a much weaker attack? Yes boss, I have discarded down and now I have 3 cards in hand... and these other ones.

DaiVrath

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »
+1

Question for Donald (if possible) about Haunted Mirror and Market Square:
Haunted Mirror and Market Square are in hand, and Market Square is the only action in hand.
An effect on my turn allows me to trash the Haunted Mirror.
Can the effect of Haunted Mirror to discard an action to gain a Ghost and the effect of the Market Square to discard itself to gain a Gold both be activated by discarding the Market Square, or do I have to choose which one gets activated?
We're all relatively experienced players (and we're stubborn and generally good at presenting rational arguments) and have different opinions regarding the correct interpretation, so an authoritative answer would be highly appreciated.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2017, 04:30:23 pm »

Well, you can only discard a card once, so my bet is you simply choose to discard via Haunted Mirror (gain Ghost) or discard via Market Square (gain Gold) but I would be shocked if you were allowed to gain both from a single discard.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »
+5

Question for Donald (if possible) about Haunted Mirror and Market Square:
Haunted Mirror and Market Square are in hand, and Market Square is the only action in hand.
An effect on my turn allows me to trash the Haunted Mirror.
Can the effect of Haunted Mirror to discard an action to gain a Ghost and the effect of the Market Square to discard itself to gain a Gold both be activated by discarding the Market Square, or do I have to choose which one gets activated?
We're all relatively experienced players (and we're stubborn and generally good at presenting rational arguments) and have different opinions regarding the correct interpretation, so an authoritative answer would be highly appreciated.
The things happen one at a time. You trash Haunted Mirror. You can pick to resolve Haunted Mirror's ability first, or Market Square's. Whichever you resolve first, you discard Market Square; then you have no way to discard Market Square to the other ability.

EyvahEhyeh

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2018, 01:31:43 pm »
+1

I have two simple rule questions, both concerning the drawing of cards.

1) If I have an empty draw pile and a card (such as Night Watchman) says "look at the top five cards of your deck", do I simply do nothing, or reshuffle my discard, and look at the top five cards of that new deck?

2) If I discard a card during my turn, where does it go? Could I redraw it again the same turn?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2018, 01:36:07 pm »
+3

I have two simple rule questions, both concerning the drawing of cards.

1) If I have an empty draw pile and a card (such as Night Watchman) says "look at the top five cards of your deck", do I simply do nothing, or reshuffle my discard, and look at the top five cards of that new deck?

2) If I discard a card during my turn, where does it go? Could I redraw it again the same turn?

1) You reshuffle your discard pile.  If there are cards left in your deck, but not enough (say you have 3 cards in your deck when you play Night Watchman), you first shuffle your discard pile, then slide it under the remaining deck, then do the thing.

2) It goes into your discard pile.  It is possible to redraw it that same turn.  That's why when you play cards, they go into a separate play area; you don't discard cards when you play them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

EyvahEhyeh

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2018, 02:37:58 pm »

Thank ypu, werothegreat - you are truly a giant among men! I knew that drawing, trashing, etc, the top card of your deck triggered a re-shuffle, but for some reason my gaming group thought that "looking" wouldn't.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2018, 06:04:06 pm »

how does a throne roomed knight work, if it collides with an enemy knight on the first play?
does the second fail completely?

presumably a procession would still get to grab a card costing 6$, since it doesn't say "if you trashed it..."?

edit: thank enfynet!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:36:25 pm by weesh »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2018, 06:27:44 pm »
+3

Throne still plays the card, even if it was trashed on the first play.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2018, 08:57:48 pm »

If the "lose track" rule doesn't apply here, how does it apply to anything?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2018, 09:29:55 pm »
+3

If the "lose track" rule doesn't apply here, how does it apply to anything?

It means that the card can't be moved, not that it can't be played. If not for the lose-track rule, the Knight would be put back in play from trash.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.