Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30  All

Author Topic: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee  (Read 154773 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2016, 12:07:52 pm »

The point of an encampment is that it's temporary/portable.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2016, 12:14:43 pm »
+1

I'm starting a spreadsheet where I'll find the average art ranking of each artist and then find the best artist from there. Once all the groups are finished I'll share the results.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2016, 03:00:37 pm »
+1

I don't have much disagreement with most of the choices in group Y, though I still feel there are others that are worse than some of these. The 2 that I think don't belong here are Scrying Pool and Capital.

I'm not a big fan of the cartoony art, but Scrying Pool is certainly one of the best of that style.  Much of it is very well drawn, and the Village connection is really cool. I agree about the eyeballs floating around. I have no idea what they are supposed to be.

Capital is actually pretty decent artwork, but rather boring. Of course, as you mentioned, there is not a lot you can do with the subject. Still, the art itself is much better than many other cards.

I can't believe how much better Bridge Troll is in high resolution. I could tell someone was crossing the bridge, but I had no idea it was a horse behind him. I was also wondering why the troll was just letting him pass without stopping him.  The picture shows the troll looking over his shoulder at the noise he hears.  Looks like there won't be peace for long.  What a shame the cards can't show this detail, because it is really quite an amazing picture.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2016, 03:04:23 pm »
+2

I'm starting a spreadsheet where I'll find the average art ranking of each artist and then find the best artist from there. Once all the groups are finished I'll share the results.

Well we all know who will be in last place . . .

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2016, 06:59:05 pm »
+5

#349 - Count

This is the beginning of group X, 13 cards.

I always assumed the guy on the left was the Count but when my daughters asked me, I wasn't so sure.

Chancellor Palpatine, post-electric shock from Mace Windu, makes an appearance. Either that or Norman Bates pulls out his deceased mother from the backroom. Those are some seriously big hands, particularly the finger.

These two talk while the world burns outside.

"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2016, 07:04:04 pm »
+3

#348 - Butcher

It almost looks like this guy has gills even though I know that's the wrinkled skin on the back of his neck. The tattoo around the eye complicates the picture as well as the earring. That's a nice rip in his pants or a nice human skin bag.

My girls thought it might be Voldemort chopping meat while waiting around for his plans to come to fruition but that is certainly not Voldemort's nose.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2016, 07:08:44 pm »
+4

#347 - Smithy

not much more to say than what jsh had to say "There are two men here, one holding an anvil while the other pounds it. The dwarven smith, with his misshapen face and enormous fingers, looks like something out of a fairy tale. Some say Dominion had no fantasy roots until Alchemy, but here it is. Those people had also never heard of Witch. Something about the details on the two men's skin has always rubbed me the wrong way in this art, but it's hard to describe as a layperson. Yes, the anvil holder seems muscular, but he also appears to be made of marble, ill fitting the darkness of the forge the two reside in. Today is the first day I noticed the smith is wearing a green hat. Go me. The anvil (or is it an axe head?) is drawn a bit crookedly, I think. Whatever the minor details are, at the end of the day this art doesn't please me particularly. I always feel like I'm losing fashion points by adding it to my deck. Let's get out of here before these two start looking at me funny."

I wouldn't be too thrilled holding the item there with the guy pounding closing his eyes as he strikes. Why does the guy on the left have chocolate streaming down his head?

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2016, 08:09:19 pm »
+2

Man I know that dude on County is creepy but that's why it's so good. Top 10 art for me for sure. Sooooooo good.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2016, 11:58:27 pm »
+3

I've always wondered which one is the Count, and who the other person is.

One time I was saying that Smithy was the most vanilla card in Dominion and one of my friends said that what those two guys are doing is definitely not vanilla.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2016, 12:06:30 am »
+1

That Smithy is rockin' that BDSM costume.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2016, 12:33:05 am »

#353 - Bridge Troll

It's just too hard to tell what's going on here. When I enlarge the this art, I think it might be pretty cool but it's still too dark. Can't really see any detail on the troll at all.

Bridge Troll might as well be a black-to-grey color gradient at the playing card sizw. That's basically what I imagine in my mind when I see it.

It's just too dark to make out anything.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2016, 01:13:18 am »
+6

#353 - Bridge Troll
It's just too hard to tell what's going on here. When I enlarge the this art, I think it might be pretty cool but it's still too dark. Can't really see any detail on the troll at all.
http://www.kmistudio.com/blog/index.php/gallery/image_full/338/
It's actually pretty good at this resolution!

Wow, that is such a huge difference.  I'd say the problem isn't the resolution, but the crazy darkening of the art when it was transferred to the card.  Who knows what part of the process caused it, but I wanted to see how the card would look with that in it, so I dropped it into GIMP.  Here is the result:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:06 am »

See, I tried making the art less dark, but that kept making the orange border blue-ish... :/
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2016, 10:29:52 am »

I've got the one I made out of the high-res card and the digital image from Kurt's blog if you want it, but I don't know if it is better to have the art look good, or accurately match the card.

He did Hunting Party too and has a similar image on his blog, so I could do that one also.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2016, 10:34:39 am »

I've got the one I made out of the high-res card and the digital image from Kurt's blog if you want it, but I don't know if it is better to have the art look good, or accurately match the card.

He did Hunting Party too and has a similar image on his blog, so I could do that one also.

I think it's better to have the scan match the card; the full art gets put down in the trivia section, anyway (when I can find it; for Adventures/Empires, I've had to hunt around the internet for artist pages to find some of it, but definitely not all of it).

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2016, 03:01:34 pm »
+7

#346 - Gladiator

This guy's secret to success is apparently eating a boat-load of beets. Maybe that's why they gave him the pickles for winning so he'd have some variety in his diet. It's really nice, pink skin though. Also, his arm seems to be too big to actually fit behind the shield.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:03:53 pm by jamfamsam »

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »
+2

#345 - Mandarin

I've never been able to tell if we are looking at a straight-on view of his face or a profile. The weird shadow creatures from the Princess Frog are coming up on the right to grab him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:08:38 pm by jamfamsam »

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2016, 03:08:00 pm »
+4

#344 - Envoy

This guy looks totally befuddled. 'You wanted me to tell him what again?' My daughters say he looks like the messenger in one of the versions of Romeo and Juliet. That's a really nice hat he stole from Legend of Zelda.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:09:15 pm by jamfamsam »

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2016, 04:18:01 pm »
+2

#349 - Count

This is the beginning of group X, 13 cards.

I always assumed the guy on the left was the Count but when my daughters asked me, I wasn't so sure.

Chancellor Palpatine, post-electric shock from Mace Windu, makes an appearance. Either that or Norman Bates pulls out his deceased mother from the backroom. Those are some seriously big hands, particularly the finger.

These two talk while the world burns outside.

I always thought that it was the good Count on one side and the bad Count on the other.  He is holding up his finger to say that you have to choose one.  That being said, I agree about your judgment on the artistic value of the card.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2016, 04:41:14 pm »
+1

I have to agree with all of your choices so far in Group X, other than I think there were a few in groups Y and Z that are better than these.

Butcher - This guy has always been really creepy to me.  I wouldn't want that man, or whatever it is, anywhere near my meat.  It looks like he escaped from a lunatic asylum where they did a lobotomy.  And who cuts up their meat with the feet of the animal hanging on a wall and the other end on a table?

Gladiator - Ditto

Smithy - JSH nailed that one quite well.  The guy holding the axehead must be crazy to hold that thing while the other guy pounds on it.  In fact, if he trying to hammer a wedge into the handle in the head of the axe, the wedge doesn't look like it is being put in straight, almost guaranteeing that the axe is going slip in some way.

Mandarin - I have never liked that one.  His face is very misshapen.  His mustache is very long on one side.  Why is he unrolling scrolls all over the ground?  What does that have to do with Mandarin?  Dictionary.com has several definitions, including:
1. (in the Chinese Empire) a member of any of the nine ranks of public officials, each distinguished by a particular kind of button worn on the cap;
6. an influential or powerful government official or bureaucrat;
7. a member of an elite or powerful group or class, as in intellectual or cultural milieus
The other 4 definitions don't apply at all, but this picture doesn't seem to fit any of the definitions.

Envoy - That has to be the most unflattering facial expression in Dominion.  This guy is the last person I would want representing me as an Envoy for my country or government.  And why is his letter or scroll wrapped around the handle of a baseball bat?

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2016, 07:56:28 pm »
+1

#343 - Guide

I didn't mind the art so much, but she's supposed to be a guide not leading a special ops unit.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2016, 07:58:59 pm »

#342 - Ritual

None of my daughters liked this art whereas I had it as middle of the road. They thought it was too video game-y with the glowing green rocks not only in the pit but also being carried by the people.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2016, 08:01:07 pm »
+4

#341 - Smugglers

Perhaps another low rating due to unmet expectations. It's hard to tell that there is any smuggling going on here. Just a couple of guys getting a drink. Nothing going on here. I didn't realize that was a boat coming up in the background until just now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:02:33 pm by jamfamsam »

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2016, 08:54:34 pm »

I didn't even know there were two people on Count's art...

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »

I'm starting to disagree a lot with your rankings :P. The last few cards you ranked DEFIENETLY deserve to be way higher. Where is Junk Dealer? That art is miles worse than anything in group X. IMO you should judge more about the quality of the art itself.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.