Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30  All

Author Topic: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee  (Read 154745 times)

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
jamfamsam's art ranking by committee
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:05:48 pm »
+24

Check back for actual art postings early next week.

This post is for explaining the method and other details of the art rankings. If you aren't interested in that, skip this post.

Now that I have a copy of Empires, we will post our art rankings of all the art printed on cards with the exception of the original Estate, Duchy, Province, Copper, Silver, Gold, Potion, Platinum, Colony, and Curse. They are more symbols than actual art. Ranking the Estate card, for example, would be identical to the other Victory cards. I have included all these cards with the new art from the Base Cards set. We will not be ranking box art or art from mats, rule books, or anything that isn't printed on a card. We also did our rankings based on the view of the art as printed on the actual cards not the high-res scans. As I make the art postings though, we will be pulling the high-res art from the Wiki. My thanks to Wero and anyone else who has done the work to make that available.

I have 379 cards with unique artwork. If I've missed something, it won't be hard for me to slide it in. I have included Randomizer art that is different from the stack (Knights and Castles for example) as well as each unique piece of art in a stack. I included the Randomizer separately for the Split Piles as well as each card from the Split Piles. All Events and Landmarks are included as well as Promos. I included the 2 different Trash cards separately as well.

Four of us have done the ranking: me and my 3 teen-age daughters ranging in age from 13 to 17. Only one of the three has played more than a couple of rounds of Dominion ever and even the one that has is not a serious Dominion player (we can discuss such awful parenting failures in another thread). I am a serious player but I am not very good. I have been near or at the bottom of the D league since I started playing. There will be almost no bias toward any card's art because of the way it plays. My daughters wouldn't know one card from the other. The only potential for that bias would be from me but, if there is any, it will be limited by the method.

I stacked the cards alphabetically and each individual went through and gave each card a rating between 1 and 7 (some of us used decimals and some didn't). Each person did this alone and could not see anyone else's ratings. I gave each person a chance to go back and look again and change their ratings after a 2nd pass, but only I did that. I then averaged the four ratings and sorted the cards by the average. I arbitrarily chose to break the cards into 26 groups, one for each letter of the English alphabet. This puts approximately 15 cards in each group. Any cards that had the same average were put into the same group. The groups, as a result, are of slightly different sizes.

We then sat down together and took each group and ordered the cards from worst to best by committee. No card was able to move out of its group. This helped to mitigate any bullying bias a member of the group had toward their particular ranking. If the average put the card in that group, it stayed in that group and we worked through a consensus of the ranking within that group.

All the credit for the idea of doing art rankings goes to jsh. I will at times quote his postings here (with permission) because I read all of his postings and they had a significant influence on how I view some of the cards, not to mention a lot of his stuff is very funny. This no way implies an endorsement from jsh to our art rankings.

I guarantee that anyone who reads our art rankings will at one time or another be disappointed, outraged, frustrated, and/or appalled at our rankings. We have done this for entertainment for ourselves. I apologize to any of the artists who may be offended at any of the comments. I have a lot of respect for artists. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and am not qualified to criticize anyone's art. In high school I had to take a semester of art so I could graduate. I took the beginning class and did my best. I attended every class and did every assignment. About half way through the teacher took pity on me. I was failing miserably. She offered to give me a B if I would do her grade book for her. I jumped at the opportunity and therefore got a B in the class.

To anyone posting comments on this thread, I would ask you to keep your language appropriate for a 13 year old to read. My daughters will certainly be interested in reading the posts.

Edit: It would appear that my daughters share my bias against the more cartoon style of art.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:48:00 pm by jamfamsam »
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 07:58:15 pm »
+1

I cannot think of one time, in or out of RSP, that language has not been appropriate for a 13 year old. I'd like to think (as a 13 year old myself) my opinion holds a bit of weight, but that's probably a discussion for another thread as well.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:43:51 pm »
+2

I've seen a few F bombs that I would have preferred not to see.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
+1

Fudgesicle?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:34:23 pm »
+5

Fudgesicle?

Fusion?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:32:37 am »
+4

Well, if we go by movie rating logic, we can have one F bomb in the thread and it'll still be PG-13.

That said, she's 13, she almost certainly hears and/or uses "inappropriate" language every day at school.  I certainly did.  At home, too, for that matter.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 12:35:04 am »
+13

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 12:56:01 am »
+3

Well, if we go by movie rating logic, we can have one F bomb in the thread and it'll still be PG-13.

That said, she's 13, she almost certainly hears and/or uses "inappropriate" language every day at school.  I certainly did.  At home, too, for that matter.
Not to mention reading "F bomb" is essentially the same thing as reading the actual word. You acknowledge the actual word and probably say it in your head as well.

And by the actual word I of course mean falafel.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 06:38:11 am »
+1

I cannot think of one time, in or out of RSP, that language has not been appropriate for a 13 year old. I'd like to think (as a 13 year old myself) my opinion holds a bit of weight, but that's probably a discussion for another thread as well.

In my experience of having been 13 somewhat recently (only 7 years ago!), I agree with this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 07:48:14 am »
+5

My thanks to Wero and anyone else who has done the work to make that available.

excuse me, what?

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 12:17:31 am »
+11

OK. Here we go. Group Z contains 15 cards.

#379 - Harem

A lot has already been said about this art in the previous 2 postings from jsh's art rankings.

We had a discussion about the gender of the figure in red in the middle without coming to a conclusion. We wondered what the white lady with the crazy eyes is doing in the picture at all. It looks like a couple of the women have just come from the dentist and their cheeks are all swollen.

Whenever the Harem head shows up in Making Fun's creepy crystal ball, it freaks me out a little bit.

Aside from the dislike of the cartoonish art in general, I think one of the main problems with this card is the expectation created by the title which is unmet in spades. If a guy were going to have a harem, you'd think there would be some level of attractiveness to the women in it. Everything is just wrong with this card.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 12:22:55 am »
+7

#378 - Masterpiece

"Where's the Masterpiece?" asked one daughter. Another wondered if that might be Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast. If you look close, it could be a little face there on the candlestick.

I think here again we have an expectation problem. When I think of masterpieces, I would think of a painting or a sculpture or perhaps even a vase. Candlestick? Really? It's not even symmetrical. Then you have that weird curvy thing going on with the window next to it. I've seen curves like that at the top of windows but never at the bottom.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:09 am »
+8

#377 - Shanty Town

There was a rather heated discussion about whether this was the worst card or Harem. I won out on the argument about what Harem is supposed to represent versus what is actually there. I mean, what do you really expect from a Shanty Town? Certainly not a deformed version of Mr. Potato Head or a Play-do figure gone wrong.

I'm not exactly sure how Masterpiece squeezed between this and Harem after the argument, but there it is.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 12:13:32 pm »
+5

#376 - Candlestick Maker

There's something wrong with the perspective here. The eyebrows are weird. He's polishing his candlesticks with a wig? He is working hard at it though with that muscle going in his neck.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 12:15:40 pm »
+5

#375 - Chancellor

Two words: Butt Chin.

One of my daughters thought he looks awfully constipated.

I think plenty has been previously posted about this card art.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:29:04 pm by jamfamsam »

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 12:22:13 pm »
+7

#374 - Pearl Diver

He's got some nice Botox going on with the lips. He's got the bubbles behind him as if he is propelling forward but the hair going all different directions as if he is not moving at all. If he's a Pearl Diver, why is he diving for Pan's flute?

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 12:25:52 pm »
+1

#378 - Masterpiece

"Where's the Masterpiece?" asked one daughter. Another wondered if that might be Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast. If you look close, it could be a little face there on the candlestick.

I think here again we have an expectation problem. When I think of masterpieces, I would think of a painting or a sculpture or perhaps even a vase. Candlestick? Really? It's not even symmetrical. Then you have that weird curvy thing going on with the window next to it. I've seen curves like that at the top of windows but never at the bottom.
I always interpreted this as the Candlestick Maker's Masterpiece. You'll note that both cards have the same artist and are from the same set.

Surprised to see this as the second worst card. I actually sort of like the art. Even a candlestick can be a masterpiece to some.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:34:36 am by SuperHans »

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 12:34:40 pm »
+1

An excellent point. My daughters are not Dominion players and have no idea about any such link between cards.

Edit: You see, though, that the Candlestick Maker didn't fare much better than his Masterpiece. Perhaps he is really the man from the 'There was a crooked man..' bit rather than from 'Rub-a-dub-dub, 3 men in a tub'.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:00:49 pm by jamfamsam »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 02:06:00 pm »
+3

He's got the bubbles behind him as if he is propelling forward

Those bubbles though. Hadn't really thought about it that much. Is it just his toes spinning at a rapid rate? Does he have miniature propellers attached to them? All good questions
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 02:50:13 pm »

I assumed the bubbles were created when he dove into the water, and his hair is the result of him lifting his head and slowing as he reaches for the pearl?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 07:52:23 pm »
+6

#373 - Scout

Not only is Scout a poor card (roadrunner interjects here), we think it has poor art as well.

No neck, withered hand, freaky shaped boot.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:10 pm »
+1

I think Scout's art is better than most people think. I don't know if it's trash tier. I think Junk Dealer belongs in the trash tier. That 3D modeled picture is just awful. I'm expecting Borrow's art shortly.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »
+6

#372 - Teacher

The bulbous head, withered ear, and Top-Ramen beard just aren't working for us here. The weird forefinger (maybe he stole Scout's hand) is strange too.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 07:56:48 pm »
+3

The thing with cartoon art is not that it's cartoon art, but that it's very bad cartoon art.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 08:03:13 pm »
+5

#371 - Fugitive

Up until now, I don't think there has been anything too controversial about the art postings. I think that is about to change.

My daughters all really disliked this piece of art. His hand is too small compared to his face. He's got the lazy eye thing going or perhaps he can look two different places at once. They think it looks like he is wearing an old-lady shawl.

Dissenting opinion: I hope I'll give equal voice to my daughter's dissenting opinions as well, but I am writing the posts after all. I actually think this image works for this card. Sure, it's not the greatest art ever. However, this guy is on the run, presumably after deserting from the army, and is probably sleeping in barns and hungry and cold most of the time. I think this art captures that at some decent level. No way I put this in the bottom group on my own.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:06:03 pm by jamfamsam »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.