Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: City  (Read 2431 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: City
« on: June 11, 2016, 05:32:40 pm »

It's my favourite Dominion card!

Are there any setups where you'd get this just for its Village effect?
What cards are likely to make this really strong?
How important is being the first one to play City after a pile empties?

(My best-ever City game: Chapel, University, Minion, City and Peddler were all in the tableau. I opened Chapel/Potion on the way to a 13-turn three-pile with seven Provinces in my deck.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: City
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:53:31 pm »

I find City is strongest when there's one pile you already know is going to empty.  Ruins in a Cultist game, Curses when there's a strong curser, Magpies, Wharfs, something like that.  You know by midgame City is going to be Level 2, and then since City is such a great card, the city pile will empty and be Level 3.  Otherwise City is a trap card, you're trying to empty the City pile by yourself, or some other pile by yourself (while still buying cities), and your opponent ignoring cities takes off faster than you.

One trick with Cities is to look for the card on the table that will allow you to Level up the cities on your own turn, to avoid giving your opponent the first turn with them.  When the City pile is sitting at one City remaining, that Remodel or Develop you invested in can help you grab the last city near the beginning of your turn, and then you can play all your cities powered up before your opponent. 

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:49:22 am »
+1

One thing to keep in mind with cities is that a vanilla village is frequently worth 5$, I used to frequently ignore cities when I thought there would be no empty piles in a game, only to miss a potentilly decent engine. As for emptying piles IŽd say that emptying the first pile is frequently a good move, your opponent might have a pretty good turn, but youŽll probably be having one too, but emptying a second pile is almost suicide, youŽll be giving your opponent lots of buys and extra money when there are two piles over already, even if he doesnŽt manage to end the game, he can probably gain a lot of control over you.

Of course it all depends on the state of the game, but I would generally consider that emptying a second pile in a game where cities were evenly contested to be a pretty hail mary move, youŽd be betting your opponent duds in his next hand to grab an otherwise unlikely win.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:01:22 am »

I think it's rather a high skill card. I find it hard when city is the only village and you have to decide between rushing to empty the city pile or keep getting engine pieces.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:13:59 am »
+1

It is probably a common knowledge but I just recently discovered something about City's art:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12902/carcassonne-city

Also, cities are magnitudes better when you can gain them midturn.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:15:46 am by Burning Skull »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.