Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fortune and -$1 Token  (Read 3760 times)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
Fortune and -$1 Token
« on: June 11, 2016, 03:24:35 am »
+1

When Fortune doubles your money, does it do that by giving you +$N where $N is your current coin total, meaning a -$1 Token would reduce that to +${N - 1}?  Or is it really a multiplication and somehow different from "getting" coins, letting the effect bypass -$1 Tokens?

If a -$1 Token does reduce the $ gained, does that mean you didn't quite double your $ and can play another Fortune and get the doubling effect again?  Or is merely attempting to follow the "double your $" instruction sufficient to disallow you from getting the effect again, regardless of whether it was completed successfully the first time?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Fortune and -$1 Token
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:59:32 am »
+3

When Fortune doubles your money, does it do that by giving you +$N where $N is your current coin total, meaning a -$1 Token would reduce that to +${N - 1}?  Or is it really a multiplication and somehow different from "getting" coins, letting the effect bypass -$1 Tokens?

If a -$1 Token does reduce the $ gained, does that mean you didn't quite double your $ and can play another Fortune and get the doubling effect again?  Or is merely attempting to follow the "double your $" instruction sufficient to disallow you from getting the effect again, regardless of whether it was completed successfully the first time?
You get $1 less and yet that still counts as your doubling for the turn.

You have $ and a -$1 token and can play Fortune. Bridge Troll won't do it, it must be Ball. You had $6 or more, bought Ball gaining Villa, didn't play the Villa (which would eat the -$1 token and we wouldn't want that, uh there's Haunted Woods in effect and you want that Villa in your next hand), went back to your Buy phase and played Fortune. Well there you have it, it's possible.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 04:43:09 pm »

You have $ and a -$1 token and can play Fortune. Bridge Troll won't do it, it must be Ball. You had $6 or more, bought Ball gaining Villa, didn't play the Villa (which would eat the -$1 token and we wouldn't want that, uh there's Haunted Woods in effect and you want that Villa in your next hand), went back to your Buy phase and played Fortune. Well there you have it, it's possible.

Edge case challenge, hard mode: Can you find a situation where that's better than playing Fortune first before buying the Ball?  I'm don't think it's possible, but I would love to be proven wrong.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:28:10 pm »
+1

Edge case challenge, hard mode: Can you find a situation where that's better than playing Fortune first before buying the Ball?  I'm don't think it's possible, but I would love to be proven wrong.

You didn't have Fortune in hand in your first action phase.  You ran out of actions, bought Ball gaining Villa, returned to your action phase and played something (like Smithy) that drew Fortune.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 06:38:35 pm »

You didn't have Fortune in hand in your first action phase.  You ran out of actions, bought Ball gaining Villa, returned to your action phase and played something (like Smithy) that drew Fortune.
Better: You didn't have Fortune at all. You had two Buys, bought Fortune and Ball, played Smithy to draw Fortune.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:17:42 pm »
+1

Possibility that doesn't require additional actions: You had two Ventures in hand and wanted to buy Grand Market. There was a Copper and a Fortune left in your discard. You buy Ball, GM first and afterwards you can play the Venture.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 07:21:49 pm »

Possibility that doesn't require additional actions: You had two Ventures in hand and wanted to buy Grand Market. There was a Copper and a Fortune left in your discard. You buy Ball, GM first and afterwards you can play the Venture.
Playing Venture gives you $1, which eats the -$1 token ahead of Fortune.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 07:45:24 pm »

I have $10 and a Potion with a -$1 token. I play Fortune.

How much money do I have?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:35 pm »
+5

I dunno, you're still a kid, right? I guess maybe you have a paper route or something. Man do kids still have paper routes? No-one's paying you to deliver the internet news.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 08:00:13 pm »

I dunno, you're still a kid, right? I guess maybe you have a paper route or something. Man do kids still have paper routes? No-one's paying you to deliver the internet news.
Hi Awaclus.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 06:39:54 am »
+2

Hi Awaclus.

Hi.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.