Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession vs spending tokens  (Read 2157 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Possession vs spending tokens
« on: June 10, 2016, 10:57:51 am »
+1

The new Possession errata states that i get all tokens the Possessed player would have gotten, so, obviously, i get VP tokens, coin tokens or debt tokens the possessed player would have gotten. So much for that. But what about spending tokens? From my reading, these are the official Possession rules by now:

• I may make my possessed opponent spend his coin tokens (in addition to getting my own for his Baker), but may not have him spend mine
  • I may make my possessed opponent pay off his Debt tokens, but may not have him pay off mine
  • I may make my possessed opponent buy any number of Debt cards (regardless of my own debt) as long as he has no Debt of his own

Edited to make clearer who does what.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:31:33 am by Asper »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Possession vs spending tokens
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 11:12:31 am »
+1

That seems right to me. It's your opponents turn, but you just steal the stuff they would have gotten.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
+2

That's all correct. I think the overall point that answers all of those is that your opponent can't do anything on his possessed turn that he couldn't do on his regular turn... so this means he can't pay off your debt tokens, or spend your coin tokens.

The sort-of exception is that on his regular turn, if he has 5 buys and only $2 to spend, he can't buy 5 Royal Blacksmiths, because after the first one he would have debt that prevents him from buying anything, whereas on his possessed turn, he can buy 5 Royal Blacksmiths without ever getting any debt to pay off.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »

That's all correct. I think the overall point that answers all of those is that your opponent can't do anything on his possessed turn that he couldn't do on his regular turn... so this means he can't pay off your debt tokens, or spend your coin tokens.

The sort-of exception is that on his regular turn, if he has 5 buys and only $2 to spend, he can't buy 5 Royal Blacksmiths, because after the first one he would have debt that prevents him from buying anything, whereas on his possessed turn, he can buy 5 Royal Blacksmiths without ever getting any debt to pay off.

Interestingly, this also means that Debt can be used to counter Possession. Get indebted a little bit and then have your Possessor pay it off if he wants to use your deck for anything. Together with the fact that he can't make me pay off debt cards he makes me buy, this means Debt tokens still throw a wrench into how well Possession works.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:39:03 pm by Asper »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:32:02 pm »
+3

The new Possession errata states that i get all tokens the Possessed player would have gotten, so, obviously, i get VP tokens, coin tokens or debt tokens the possessed player would have gotten. So much for that. But what about spending tokens? From my reading, these are the official Possession rules by now:

• I may make my possessed opponent spend his coin tokens (in addition to getting my own for his Baker), but may not have him spend mine
  • I may make my possessed opponent pay off his Debt tokens, but may not have him pay off mine
  • I may make my possessed opponent buy any number of Debt cards (regardless of my own debt) as long as he has no Debt of his own

Edited to make clearer who does what.
Yes. They take a regular turn in which you make decisions and take any gained cards or tokens.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 08:47:24 am »
+1

On the flipside, if he had $8 to spend, i would still get all the debt tokens from Royal Blacksmith, as he can't pay for those.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.