Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Probably inaccurate power predictions  (Read 29405 times)

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Re: Probably inaccurate power predictions
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2016, 02:20:52 pm »
+1

Thanks for the comments. You are probably right that I am undervaluing these cards, but Catapult is so much worse than Militia. It's worth noting that it is not $1 less on play, it's $2 less because you trash a copper to get the effect, and combined with how slow trashers you really want to get rid of your Estates ASAP but with Catapult you want to kill the coppers because the discard effect is so much better in the early game you just end up with these super bad hands all the time with a high Estate density. Surelike Trade Route it has its use when you will take anything to get trashing, but for every card in the game you can construct kingdoms where that card is good, like Scout and Adventurer and Trade Route but those are still cards I'd rate 1/5.

Good point about sifting for Bustling Village and Settlers. Part of my reasoning for not being so keen on Bustling Village is because I found out when playing with City Quarter that only having 3 or so villages in your deck can make it super hard to kick off if the village isn't in your starting hand, which is less likely when you have so few, think about decks where you need Crossroads as your village and how often that can dud. City Quarter is 5/5 though because the drawing is insane so you don't need to buy terminal draw as much, and it plays nicely with other villages if they are around to help you use draw to find it and you still want it because it draws so much, while with bustling village I probably won't want it when other villages are on the board because it's so much harder to get and I can just use those other villages most of the time. And plowing through the settlers also means that while I spent time on getting g these not great cards I ended up also letting my opponent buy the Bustling Villages without them having to waste time buying bad stuff, so if you can't make the settlers work for you then it seems kinds bad.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:25:37 pm by kieranmillar »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2016, 02:51:42 pm »
+1

Catapult is better than Militia.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2016, 03:30:31 pm »
+2

Urchin and ambassador are considered two of the strongest $3s because they thin your deck and attack your opponent at the same time. Catapult is obviously not as strong but it still does both of those things, so I definitely think it's way better than people say.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2016, 06:41:44 pm »

Urchin and Ambassador are really strong because they are fast trashers that trash more than one card at a time, so if you get them early you can add good cards to your deck while still having the overall size of your deck decrease per shuffle, an effect that I would say is more than twice as good as trashing just one card. So comparing these with Catapult is a mistake, they are in a different league entirely on a fundamental level.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2016, 08:11:37 pm »

Urchin actually starts slow at first. It does get faster though once you're trashing two cards at a time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.