Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Where did you buy / pre-order Empires? Has it shipped yet?  (Read 58520 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you buy / pre-order Empires? Has it shipped yet?
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2016, 11:11:24 am »

Sorry, I mean: take a, stick it on a flat table. Either the middle of the card will stand pround of the table with the ends in contact, or the ends will stand proud with the middle in contact. Depending on which way up you lay the card.

I forget offhand which is which, but most Dominion cards curl one way, but the Prince promo and Adventures curl the other. So, having shuffled, you can choose whether to topdeck an Adventures card or not by cutting either from the ends or from the edges. This is worse when playing with just Prince and earlier sets, of course - who wouldn't want to topdeck their Prince?

For someone who's dabbled a little in magic tricks as a kid, this kind of card control technique is second nature, which makes it really hard to play fair. /-8

As it turns out, (the first run of) Prince was printed in Germany. So, is there a chance this is in your mind? Or that you bent the cards that way?

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2016, 11:15:36 am »

I don't sleeve my cards, and I could notice a slight difference in the feel playing last night, particularly when my deck was about half starting cards and half Empires. I didn't notice a difference in look, just how they felt in my hands and how they shuffled.

I've never really noticed the pre-Adventures cards bend much either way (other than from being shuffled), and I didn't notice that with Empires either. My Adventures cards all have a noticeable bend, though.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2016, 11:36:50 am »

As it turns out, (the first run of) Prince was printed in Germany. So, is there a chance this is in your mind? Or that you bent the cards that way?
First time I mentioned this, Donald X. said that and it came as a surprise to me, but the effect's definitely there. I'll try to remember to take some photos.

One possible cause is the different packaging of promo cards (though Stash doesn't have the problem). Another is handling of the promo by the BGG store. But I have a strong suspicion the cause is that Prince was printed the other way up to other Dominion cards. (Which is a different issue from printing at right angles.)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:20 am »

Maybe you have a second printing of Prince.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, Empires has fixed the bendiness and also the card backs, it's just the card stock is slightly different in texture from pre-Adventures. Adventures and Empires have different card stock it seems, but this really only makes a difference for Empires if you don't sleeve.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »

I don't sleeve.

I can't. Being late to Dominion, the expansions I own get played with base cards and earlier sets owned by friends who don't sleeve. To start sleeving, I'd either have to persuade all of them to sleeve (and to agree on which sleeves to use!), or invest hundreds of pounds/dollars/whatever in buying the earlier sets myself.

Which reminds me: do sleeved cards fit in the Empires organiser?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2016, 12:22:02 pm »

I said this in the streaming subforum, but I'll be doing an unboxing stream later today if my copy comes in by the time I get off of work.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2016, 12:29:47 pm »

I don't sleeve.

I can't. Being late to Dominion, the expansions I own get played with base cards and earlier sets owned by friends who don't sleeve. To start sleeving, I'd either have to persuade all of them to sleeve (and to agree on which sleeves to use!), or invest hundreds of pounds/dollars/whatever in buying the earlier sets myself.

Which reminds me: do sleeved cards fit in the Empires organiser?

Sleeved cards do not fit in the organizer, nope.

I really don't think the Empires cards are different enough to warrant sleeving if you don't already (I do). They're fine. They don't feel thinner or anything like the Adventures cards do.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:34:22 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2016, 12:57:41 pm »

Hmm. I'll just bet that means they've not solved the problem of the inlay rubbing against cards, either? /-8

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »

Change of plans - streaming in 15-20 minutes!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2016, 01:38:00 pm »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2016, 02:21:49 pm »

Pictures:

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:11 pm »

Hmm. I'll just bet that means they've not solved the problem of the inlay rubbing against cards, either? /-8

No, just that my sleeves are too much longer than the cards to fit in. The inlay isn't really the constraint.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2016, 02:36:10 pm »

And video:

buckyball

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2016, 02:38:24 pm »

Miniature Market: Our copies will be arriving early this coming week. :(

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »

Every game store in my area is either getting it next week, has no idea when, or didn't even know Dominion was out of retirement ("didn't that game end 3 years ago?").

My Amazon order is definitely not showing up until Monday. This is most frustrating because almost all my Prime orders come USPS, and they deliver them on Saturday, but this one is coming UPS, and they don't (unless you paid for Saturday delivery, which Prime does not include).

Oh well...

flaquito

• Steward
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2016, 04:02:20 pm »

Mine also shipped from CSI yesterday, with a FedEx delivery estimate of Tuesday.

Edit: Just noticed that it's Smartpost, so who knows when it will actually arrive.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »

Miniature Market: Our copies will be arriving early this coming week. :(

...  >:(
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2016, 04:22:48 pm »

My FLGS (and former employer!) got Empires in today (Chicago). Impromptu date night game night tonight, it seems.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »

Just got a call from my local game store. My copy is in!!!! Uncle's Games in the Pacific Northwest.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2016, 05:46:46 pm »
+1

Anyway, as has been mentioned, Empires has fixed the bendiness and also the card backs, it's just the card stock is slightly different in texture from pre-Adventures. Adventures and Empires have different card stock it seems, but this really only makes a difference for Empires if you don't sleeve.
I believe all copies of Prince were printed at Altenburger (though someday that won't be true).

The card stock should be identical between Empires and Altenburger-printed sets. The reason is, Cartamundi bought ELM, and we said, we want the identical card stock, surely that's possible at this point, and they said, yes it is and okay. So, it would be a big surprise if it wasn't identical.

I remember when that guy said his Intrigue cards were thinner, and we measured thickness and they were not, but did not realize he was reporting a symptom not the disease, that they were not thinner but were different (in particular bendier). So maybe "these cards are a different card stock" is a symptom of something else, some actual difference, dunno. It's not a symptom of them being a different card stock though.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »

There's also a chance that they feel different because they are brand-new. Obviously the cards will stand out because they are fresh. I'll find out tonight myself.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2016, 06:39:14 pm »

There's also a chance that they feel different because they are brand-new. Obviously the cards will stand out because they are fresh. I'll find out tonight myself.

My Empires cards definitely feel thicker and less bendy than my Adventures cards did when I first opened them, and still do.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »
+1

No empires near me yet. My store didn't even know about it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2016, 06:51:39 pm »

No empires near me yet. My store didn't even know about it.

One store knew about it, but the shipment was delayed until next week.  The rest didn't know about the expansion.  One hadn't even heard of Dominion!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2016, 06:58:07 pm »

I believe all copies of Prince were printed at Altenburger (though someday that won't be true).

The card stock should be identical between Empires and Altenburger-printed sets. The reason is, Cartamundi bought ELM, and we said, we want the identical card stock, surely that's possible at this point, and they said, yes it is and okay. So, it would be a big surprise if it wasn't identical.

I remember when that guy said his Intrigue cards were thinner, and we measured thickness and they were not, but did not realize he was reporting a symptom not the disease, that they were not thinner but were different (in particular bendier). So maybe "these cards are a different card stock" is a symptom of something else, some actual difference, dunno. It's not a symptom of them being a different card stock though.

Comparing my cards to Scout which I've never used IRL, Empires cards do feel different. Not bendier. Just different.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.