Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Where did you buy / pre-order Empires? Has it shipped yet?  (Read 58535 times)

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: Where did you buy / pre-order Empires? Has it shipped yet?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »
+3

Card quality is definitely better than Adventures, at least for my copies. I just got the kiddo to bed, so no time yet to compare to the rest of the cards, but these are not the bendy cardstock at least.

Here's hoping we actually find time to play it sometime soon. ;)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 12:29:15 am »
+2

Card quality is definitely better than Adventures, at least for my copies. I just got the kiddo to bed, so no time yet to compare to the rest of the cards, but these are not the bendy cardstock at least.

I'm miffed at mirthful mith for having the set before me. :(
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 04:10:02 am »

I am giving my FLGS a couple more days before I decide to order elsewhere.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 08:49:49 am »

I ordered Empires on Amazon from Fun Family Games on Tuesday.  It shipped yesterday.  I got slow shipping, so it's not expected to arrive until next week.

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 10:06:33 am »

Last night my FLGS verified that their supplier had it, and that supplier normally delivers to them on Thursday or Friday. The sales-critter was also hoping it had come in today, as he is planning on getting it as a gift for friends for this weekend. I will check with them again today. This is the same FLGS that earlier said that they had been told "End of June" by their supplier.

With luck, I'll have it in my hands by Friday evening.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 11:49:59 am »

Anybody in the UK heard anything yet? I'm guessing there's a container sloshing around in the mid-Atlantic still? /-8

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 12:44:23 pm »

Called my FLGS yesterday and they said they had no idea when it'd be in. Contemplated cancelling my order and getting it from Amazon. FLGS called me just now and said they had it.

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 02:56:39 pm »
+2

CSI now has it in stock. I wrote to them just a few minutes ago to ask if there was an estimated shipping date, and they wrote back extremely promptly to say that it was being shipped out today, so hopefully I'll have my hands on it on Monday!

(Edit: FedEx says ETA Tuesday, not Monday)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:05:37 pm by DLloyd09 »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »

My FLGS is hoping to see it by the middle of next week.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jsmarvin

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 03:20:53 pm »

Just received my overnight delivery from Amazon that I ordered yesterday.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »

I ordered from Amazon last night with regular Prime shipping after my FLGS said they did not expect to have copies until middle of next week. I got shipping notice today, but right now it says it won't arrive until Monday.  I am optimistic based on the reports here that it will show up tomorrow or Saturday.

jsmarvin

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »

I ordered from Amazon last night with regular Prime shipping after my FLGS said they did not expect to have copies until middle of next week. I got shipping notice today, but right now it says it won't arrive until Monday.  I am optimistic based on the reports here that it will show up tomorrow or Saturday.
You might be right if that was just your first notice. But if the notice you are talking about is the one with a tracking number, then their estimate is probably correct. My first notice said Monday (that's why I chose overnight because without it they were saying Tuesday, and I wanted it for game night on Monday). Then when I got the shipping notice with tracking number they said it would come today, which it did. I got both notices yesterday within a few hours of each other. If you didn't get a notice until today you may have ordered too late to meet yesterdays shipping deadline.

Also, it will depend on the shipper. UPS and FedEx are pretty good with their estimates. But regular Prime shipping sometimes goes via USPS. A lot of people complain about that, but I've had good luck with them. Sometimes I even get things on Sunday, even though that seems kind of extreme, since default Prime shipping doesn't guarantee delivery on either Saturday or Sunday. In a lot of cases I wasn't expecting them to deliver on Sunday and almost felt bad that some postal employee had to drive to my neighborhood just to deliver some simple thing I ordered via Prime.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 04:15:45 pm »

I have never had a prime package that didn't meet its estimate on order. More than half the time it's a day early too.

My game just arrived so I'm gonna go home and do stuff to it. Does anyone care about unboxing pictures or video these days? I don't think so really. Post here soon if there's anything you want me to document.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »

Anyone know if the kickstarter linked below is planning on making plastic dividers for Empires?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/483649042/dominion-card-divider-subscription

EDIT: Yes. http://www.spielgeek.com/empires.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:56:01 pm by SuperHans »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2016, 04:39:39 pm »

You might be right if that was just your first notice. But if the notice you are talking about is the one with a tracking number, then their estimate is probably correct. My first notice said Monday (that's why I chose overnight because without it they were saying Tuesday, and I wanted it for game night on Monday). Then when I got the shipping notice with tracking number they said it would come today, which it did. I got both notices yesterday within a few hours of each other. If you didn't get a notice until today you may have ordered too late to meet yesterdays shipping deadline.

Also, it will depend on the shipper. UPS and FedEx are pretty good with their estimates. But regular Prime shipping sometimes goes via USPS. A lot of people complain about that, but I've had good luck with them. Sometimes I even get things on Sunday, even though that seems kind of extreme, since default Prime shipping doesn't guarantee delivery on either Saturday or Sunday. In a lot of cases I wasn't expecting them to deliver on Sunday and almost felt bad that some postal employee had to drive to my neighborhood just to deliver some simple thing I ordered via Prime.

The tracking number I got is UPS. It says Monday on Amazon, but UPS doesn't have it going yet. I am pretty sure UPS delivers on Saturday, so I think that the Prime guaranteed date might be pessimistic here. If it is not, I will sadly have to wait until Monday.  I may also be able to contact the UPS distribution and have them hold it there since it is very close to me, and might shave a day (or the whole) weekend off by picking it up myself.

Edit: It is showing up on UPS now, and does look like it isn't going quite yet. I'll just keep my fingers crossed until UPS updates with a delivery date.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:43:10 pm by Deadlock39 »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2016, 04:58:20 pm »

My package from Amazon is currently in Michigan, and should be here sometime tomorrow!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 05:25:20 pm »

I'm miffed at mirthful mith for having the set before me. :(

If I'd had more time last night, I'd have taken a bunch of pictures just to really get on everyone's nerves. ;)

Wife and I might play a game or two tonight if baby cooperates. I will actually be celebrating my 4000th play (whether or not that's accurate, who knows, but I've got 3999 logged on BGG).

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »
+1

Short version: if you're at all concerned about quality issues, don't be. It's great. The new tokens feel nicer and more distinct than the old ones. Cards are fine. Buy it.

Didn't realize how much I miss holding physical unsleeved cards until I unboxed this. Maybe I should unsleeve my collection and replace my iffier Adventures cards.

bug me on discord

they/them

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »

Just learned that my FLGS received its copies today.  I'm heading out to get it momentarily.

couch

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »

Now in available stock at Cardhaus.  Hopefully my order will ship out no later than tomorrow.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:56 pm »

Just went to order on Amazon but they said it is not in stock with an estimated arrival date of June 15.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 01:31:43 am »

So, the card quality is better than Adventures, but it seems to be made of the same stock. If you feel everything up to Guilds, the stock feels different. It doesn't have the bendiness of Adventures, but still not the same as other sets. Regardless, just a minor quibble. I sleeve my cards anyway.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:23 am »

Do the backs match earlier sets for colour, now? Do the corner radii match? Do the cards curl the same way as earlier ones?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
+1

Do the backs match earlier sets for colour, now? Do the corner radii match? Do the cards curl the same way as earlier ones?

Yup, yup, and they certainly seemed to bend like other cards on first feel but I guess I'm not an expert on card bendiness. They didn't feel loose like Adventures cards.

bug me on discord

they/them

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2016, 11:09:10 am »

Sorry, I mean: take a, stick it on a flat table. Either the middle of the card will stand pround of the table with the ends in contact, or the ends will stand proud with the middle in contact. Depending on which way up you lay the card.

I forget offhand which is which, but most Dominion cards curl one way, but the Prince promo and Adventures curl the other. So, having shuffled, you can choose whether to topdeck an Adventures card or not by cutting either from the ends or from the edges. This is worse when playing with just Prince and earlier sets, of course - who wouldn't want to topdeck their Prince?

For someone who's dabbled a little in magic tricks as a kid, this kind of card control technique is second nature, which makes it really hard to play fair. /-8
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 21 queries.