Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Where did you buy / pre-order Empires? Has it shipped yet?  (Read 58503 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you buy / pre-order Empires? Has it shipped yet?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2016, 07:16:38 pm »

Sleeved cards do not fit in the organizer, nope.
Hmm. I'll just bet that means they've not solved the problem of the inlay rubbing against cards, either? /-8

No, just that my sleeves are too much longer than the cards to fit in. The inlay isn't really the constraint.
I mean: the new organizer and inlay used for Adventures had three problems: flimsiness, not accommodating sleeved cards and the inlay rubbing against the cards.

It didn't seem plausible that they would fix one of those problems without fixing the others at the same time. And, sure enough, I see cards rubbing against the inlay in werothegreat's photo. Harumph.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2016, 07:18:36 pm »

Maybe you have a second printing of Prince.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, Empires has fixed the bendiness and also the card backs, it's just the card stock is slightly different in texture from pre-Adventures. Adventures and Empires have different card stock it seems, but this really only makes a difference for Empires if you don't sleeve.
I believe all copies of Prince were printed at Altenburger (though someday that won't be true).

The card stock should be identical between Empires and Altenburger-printed sets. The reason is, Cartamundi bought ELM, and we said, we want the identical card stock, surely that's possible at this point, and they said, yes it is and okay. So, it would be a big surprise if it wasn't identical.

I remember when that guy said his Intrigue cards were thinner, and we measured thickness and they were not, but did not realize he was reporting a symptom not the disease, that they were not thinner but were different (in particular bendier). So maybe "these cards are a different card stock" is a symptom of something else, some actual difference, dunno. It's not a symptom of them being a different card stock though.

Comparing my cards to Scout which I've never used IRL, Empires cards do feel different. Not bendier. Just different.

If the card stock is the same, then maybe the ink is different somehow?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2016, 07:20:55 pm »

If Prince feels the same as Empires, then it's possible that Altenburger themselves changed the card stock post-Guilds.

I'm glad I sleeve, regardless.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2016, 07:24:53 pm »

If Prince feels the same as Empires
Disclaimer: all my Dominion expansions/promos are at the house of friends who have base cards. I can't just break them out to check, but...

To me, Prince does not feel the same as Empires. It feels like earlier cards in all respects except the curl being different. Oh, and the whites on the face of the card looking a little more saturatedhigher in value than usual, but that could easily be an optical illusion caused by all the white in the artwork.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:26:23 pm by crj »

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:17 pm »
+3

Just got my copy - here's a rundown of the interesting points:
  • Box is the matte box, same as the Adventures box and Dominion and Intrigue reprintings, not the glossy box from Altenberger.
  • As mentioned, cards feel fine, and have the grain the correct direction this time.
  • Cards don't seem to have any significant difference from Altenberger ones, and coloration on the backs seems fine. I don't have a caliper to measure thickness.
  • Debt tokens have a little 1 on them and are copper colored, not reddish.
  • New victory tokens are thicker than the old ones and don't have as rounded of edges Also they don't have the outer bezel and the shield design is more stretched across the face. The design is indented instead of raised and they don't feel like they have as much texture as the old ones. Mixing the new and old ones will be immediately noticeable. Edit: Only 5 VP and 1 VP tokens are indented. 2 VP and Debt tokens are raised, but not nearly as much as the prior VP tokens. 2 VP tokens also have the outer bezel, but much thinner and still the sharper edges and is the same thickness as the others.
  • New 5 point victory tokens are significantly bigger. This is mostly good so you won't mix them up with the 1s as much, but slightly sad because they don't match the Prosperity ones.
  • My inlay came bent and damaged :'(. This is clearly not the case for all copies, as Wero's isn't. Inlay is same size as all prior ones and is made of the same not-as-glossy material as the Adventures one.
  • Rulebook has the Empires logo off-center, as I previously reported. RGG has already corrected this for the online copy.
  • As previously mentioned, Royal Blacksmith is out of alphabetical order on the inlay (and in the order the cards came shrink-wrapped).
  • Edit: The tokens come in only one larger zip-top bag instead of two smaller ones, which would have been nice (one for VP and one for Debt).

Fortunately, the cards seem to be fine, and that is what counts.  :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:09:26 pm by dbclick »

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:23 am »

Being one who really has a problem with the Adventures card bendiness, I notice no significant difference in the Empires cards versus the other sets that aren't Adventures (or reprints).

I am very happy with the cards.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2016, 12:29:48 am »
+2

I ordered from Nomad Camp co. and saw my Empires cards remarkably quickly. I would recommend!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2016, 03:11:24 am »

My local game shop said they'd have it yesterday. They didn't. Drove 40 minutes (yes, that's the closest game shop) to get it and all. Ended up getting an X-Wing expansion so my trip wasn't worthless. Anyway, they said they wouldn't have it until Tuesday, so I just ordered it from Amazon. Won't have to drive 40 minutes to get it now, anyway.

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2016, 03:23:42 am »
+8

I ordered from Nomad Camp co. and saw my Empires cards remarkably quickly. I would recommend!

That's because it went straight to the top of your deck.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2016, 06:26:57 am »

Sleeved cards do not fit in the organizer, nope.
Hmm. I'll just bet that means they've not solved the problem of the inlay rubbing against cards, either? /-8

No, just that my sleeves are too much longer than the cards to fit in. The inlay isn't really the constraint.

Just wanted to contradict myself - the sleeves apparently do fit in the box if the inlay is removed. I hadn't noticed this until yesterday, so I guess the "problem" of the inlay being wide is still there. Whatever.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2016, 09:29:33 am »
+2

Miniature Market: Our copies will be arriving early this coming week. :(

Miniature Market: you can't buy this if you have any Gold in play?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2016, 10:36:14 am »
+4

Yes, that's the joke.

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:40 am »
+5

Yes, that's the joke.

*furiously searches the internet for an online board game store called 'Nomad Camp' to prove LFN wrong*

*slinks off back to his hole in shame*

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2016, 12:36:58 pm »

You cannot topdeck a boardgame, but you can topdeck some food from Romania. It's got a pool, an outside place to eat, and they even have pizza. Overall, the locals recommend it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:38:51 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »
+4

Yes, that's the joke.

It would make more sense to order from Watchtower or Royal Seal, since Nomad Camp can only put itself on top.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »
+2

Plot twist: Roadrunner is an orphan living in a board game shop
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2016, 03:21:06 pm »
+1

Plot twist: Roadrunner is a Scout living in a board game shop
FTFY
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

InformationLandmine

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2016, 05:27:08 pm »

I got my copy from my LGS yesterday, but unfortunately all the cards from one of the three packets are bowed. Has anybody else had this issue? I had this issue with my entire Dark Ages set and never did anything about it, which I regret now because  the Dark Ages cards are clearly distinguished from any others when in your deck because the bow is so prevalent. I really don't want to let it slide this time and I'm wondering who I should contact.

Thanks.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2016, 06:03:40 pm »

Mine says it's going to arrive sometime from the 10th to the 15th

So what they say is true: Mine is just really slow.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »

I got my copy from my LGS yesterday, but unfortunately all the cards from one of the three packets are bowed. Has anybody else had this issue? I had this issue with my entire Dark Ages set and never did anything about it, which I regret now because  the Dark Ages cards are clearly distinguished from any others when in your deck because the bow is so prevalent. I really don't want to let it slide this time and I'm wondering who I should contact.
I'm not quite sure what your symptom is, but you can contact Rio Grande Games directly through their website, and they will replace anything messed up. Be sure to specify which packet it is (you don't remember the color of the stripe, but what the cards are will do).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2016, 06:46:41 pm »
+2

First game!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »

Mine says it's going to arrive sometime from the 10th to the 15th

Got it today! :D
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2016, 07:59:29 pm »
+1

Yes, that's the joke.

It would make more sense to order from Watchtower or Royal Seal, since Nomad Camp can only put itself on top.
I thought about that but I wanted the joke to be a little harder to see so that someone could have the glorious job of explaining it.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2016, 09:07:58 pm »
+3

Thanks Donald for an awesome expansion!

My wife and I played a bunch of Empires games in the last two days and we love it.  It sounds weird to say, but I really enjoy the feel of the tokens -- nice and heavy, but smooth.  For anybody worrying about the quality after Adventures, no need to.

Of course the game awesome too.  It's going to take a long time to really get a handle on how to play these cards well.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2016, 11:45:21 pm »

First game!

[img]
I, uh, didn't seem to get an invite.  ???
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.