Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Negative vanilla boni and split piles  (Read 3828 times)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Negative vanilla boni and split piles
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:05:12 am »

Boomtown
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Action card. Discard the other cards and play the revealed Action card.

Nothing fancy here, just another village. This is on average probably a bit better than Farming Village as you more often than not prefer an Action over a Treasure card but also moderately worse as, like with Golem and Herald, you are forced to play the Action card immediately.

Commue
Cost: $5
-1 Buy
Gain a card costing up to 5 and put it on top of your deck.

The key idea of this and the next card is that of negative vanilla boni. A more unambiguous wording that prevents folks from assuming that you could have negative buys would be "spend a Buy" but that's sound kind of weird. Note that if you throne this or Relocation (or any other hypotheticaly negative vanilla boni card) you gotta spend two Buys/Actions
This is similar to a playtesting Workshop version which also featured a negative Buy but I hope that it works better on a non-standard 5$ gainer. I thought about making it non-terminal but this would only make it more likely that this is broken, i.e. if a decent strategy in many Kingdoms turns out to be to get 2 or 3 Communes to rush-pile the 5s. This also happens in University games but the key difference is that University cannot gain itself whereas Commune can.

Relocation
Spend an Action. If you do:
+4/5$
+1 Buy
----
When you gain this, gain a Deserted Village.

Deserted Village
Cost: $0*
+1 Card
+2 Actions
(This is not in the Supply.)

I am not sure about how much coins this should provide and whether the card is too sharp, meaning that it is too often either too weak and not bought at all or too strong and rushed for.

Highwayman
Look through your discard pile and trash a card from your discard pile.
Gain a Deserted Village or an Alley.
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face up, gain a Spoils.

There is Jack, Altar and Hermit and I wanted another of these trasher-gainers. Alley is a card of Asper's and for the sake of Highwayman it should be used as "not in the Supply". I like the card thematically but think that it could be a bit too strong.

Here come some thematically Tarantino-inspired split piles. I am not sure about the numbers yet, perhaps they are best when scaled with the number of players, but the first one should be something like 8-6.

Slaves

Cost: $2
Look at the top card of your deck. If it an Action card, +1 Action. Otherwise gain a Slaves.
+1 Card
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face up, +1 Action.

Django
Types: Action-Attack
Cost: $6
Look at the top 2 cards of all decks. Reveal all Slaves, trash them and gain a Django per trashed Slaves.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+2$
When you discard this from play, take a Debt, and then you may pay off Debt.

Slaves is a Magpie variant that self-gains quicker. It is either a Ruined Library, a cantrip or a Village. If it turns out to be too weak I will get rid of the Journey token thingy and make it always provide an Action such that the card is either a cantrip or a Village.
Django is of course a thematically driven card, hence the slave freeing. 6$ is definitely the right price but at this very price the card could be too weak/strong as I am not sure about the strength of this Capital-esque (double) Peddler thingy.

Split at 6-4.

Nazi
Types: Action-Reaction-Reserve
Cost: $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
---------------------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your Tavern mat. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.
If the Attack card is a Bear Jew, trash this.

Bear Jew
Types: Action-Attack
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face down, each other player takes a Debt. If it is face up, each other player skips their next Clean-up phase.

A cantrip reaction is a big no-no so a reserve variant of the same thing is even worse. Its main idea is to prepare for and weaken Bear Jew but Nazi could disincentivize the purchase of other Attack cards too much.
Bear Jew is even more problematic. The Debt attack is OK, it is just the same as a -1 Coin token attack that stacks (I waited with this until Empires is out to check whether DXV has alerady done a Debt attack). But the Clean-up phase skipping implies a giant risk of a standstill pin. One could claim that a card like this should never ever be done and I would not argue with that.
There are some mitigating factors though. First of all, you know what is coming and can prepare for it via buying some Nazis. Second, like Saboteur and Sea Hag Bear Jew does nothing for the active player. Third, Clean-up skipping only happens every second turn. Last and least, a skipped Clean-up phase can sometimes not be totally horrible (for example if your density of terminals is too high such that after you gotta skip your Clean-up phase you can at least play a terminal in the next turn) and very rarely even be good, e.g. if you have 16$ and only one buy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:59:20 am by tristan »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Negative vanilla boni and split piles
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:57:58 am »

Boomtown
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Action card. Discard the other cards and play the revealed Action card.
Similar to Sage. Is it worth cost4?

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:05:17 am »

Boomtown
The only similarity is that both cards dig. But Sage is a cantrip whereas Boomtown is a village. As Boomtown is a village with a bonus (due to the forced play it is not strictly better than Village but most of the times you rather want a Boomtown than a Village) it has to cost more than 3$.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:20:37 am »

Boomtown
The only similarity is that both cards dig. But Sage is a cantrip whereas Boomtown is a village. As Boomtown is a village with a bonus (due to the forced play it is not strictly better than Village but most of the times you rather want a Boomtown than a Village) it has to cost more than 3$.

Is a "+1 action" or something else missing in the text?  As written right now, Boomtown doesn't seem to let you play two other actions like most villages/spliters would.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:38:35 am »

Boomtown

Is a "+1 action" or something else missing in the text?  As written right now, Boomtown doesn't seem to let you play two other actions like most villages/spliters would.
Thanks, I forgot to include "+1 Action."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:08:01 am »
+4

"Boni" is not a word.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »
+1

"Boni" is not a word.
Involuntarily self-ironic wannabe grammar police embarassment. Boni is the Latin plural of bonus and used in many other languages. As I am non-native speaker of English I wrongly assumed that it is also used in English.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:14:08 pm »
+2

Boni is the Latin plural of bonus and used in many other languages.

Neat! I did not know that.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 06:46:14 pm »
+1

Commue
-1 Buy
What is -1 Buy? Can I gain 7 Duchies when I
King's Court-King's Court-Commue-Commue-Woodcutter?

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:27:39 am »

Commue
-1 Buy
What is -1 Buy? Can I gain 7 Duchies when I
King's Court-King's Court-Commue-Commue-Woodcutter?

A more unambiguous wording that prevents folks from assuming that you could have negative buys would be "spend a Buy" but that's sound kind of weird. Note that if you throne this or Relocation (or any other hypotheticaly negative vanilla boni card) you gotta spend two Buys/Actions

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 03:06:31 am »

Bear Jew can very easily lead to unescapable pins. It's not true that it hits every other turn, since you can very easily play two of them per turn on most boards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.