Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]  All

Author Topic: Empires Rulebook  (Read 110984 times)

minstrel

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Rulebook
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »

For the sake of clarity, if a card existed that cost 3 coin and 2 debt, could I use a card such as Armory to gain it. Would I then gain the debt? And if so, could I then pay off the debt potentially in my Buy phase?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2016, 12:54:42 pm »
+6

For the sake of clarity, if a card existed that cost 3 coin and 2 debt, could I use a card such as Armory to gain it. Would I then gain the debt? And if so, could I then pay off the debt potentially in my Buy phase?

No, for the exact same reason you can't use Armory to gain a Scrying Pool. is NOT "up to ". It doesn't matter whether the Debt cost is anywhere from 1 to anything, the fact that it's there at all makes it not cost less than something that costs only .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:17 pm »
+1

No, for the exact same reason you can't use Armory to gain a Scrying Pool. is NOT "up to ". It doesn't matter whether the Debt cost is anywhere from 1 to anything, the fact that it's there at all makes it not cost less than something that costs only .

Although i understand the misconception here a lot better than with Potions. Potions and coin is just apples to oranges. Debt on the other hand "feels" cheaper than coin. If i can afford to buy a card costing $4, i can also afford to buy a card costing 4 debt, but not vice versa. This, in a "common sense"-way, makes it easy to come to the conclusion debt was just "cheaper coins".

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »
+2

The best way to think of Debt as a third currency. We have coins, potion, and now debt. It's like traveling to another country. You can't use Canadian money in France.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
+9

Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »
+1

Although i understand the misconception here a lot better than with Potions. Potions and coin is just apples to oranges. Debt on the other hand "feels" cheaper than coin. If i can afford to buy a card costing $4, i can also afford to buy a card costing 4 debt, but not vice versa. This, in a "common sense"-way, makes it easy to come to the conclusion debt was just "cheaper coins".

I hadn't thought about it, but that's actually true. The Alchemy rulebook even compares gaining potion cost cards with buying:

"when a player uses University to Gain an action card costing up to $5, the player may not gain a card with [P] in the cost. ...
It is just like Buying a card - if a player just has $5, he cannot buy a card with [P] in the cost."

Obviously this thinking doesn't work with debt cost.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2016, 04:26:43 pm »

I hadn't thought about it, but that's actually true. The Alchemy rulebook even compares gaining potion cost cards with buying:

"when a player uses University to Gain an action card costing up to $5, the player may not gain a card with [P] in the cost. ...
It is just like Buying a card - if a player just has $5, he cannot buy a card with [P] in the cost."

Obviously this thinking doesn't work with debt cost.

It *sort of* does. If you think of "debt cost" as "how much debt you have to take" as opposed to what you have to "pay", then in order to purchase a card costing , you must have the ability to take at least . The sentence above, in Debt terms, still applies... if a player just has , he cannot buy a card with in the cost. But you don't have "just" , you have + the capacity to take unlimited debt.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2016, 04:36:32 pm »
+1

I think of debt the same way I think of imaginary numbers. This is an easy way to explain the concept to nerdy types to give an intuitive understanding of "cost more" and "cost less" situations.

2+3i is "more than" 2+2i or 1+3i, but it is not more than (or less than) 1+4i. Same with debt, 0+8d is less than 8+8d but it is neither more nor less than 2+0d.

And you don't "pay debt", you take debt. This handles "can I overpay debt" - you don't pay Debt, you take it as a cost, and pay *off* debt.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 28, 2016, 04:37:47 pm »
+2

It's like ordering Dominion from another country: You may have as much cash lying around as you like, but that doesn't help you since you need your credit card.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »
+3

new idea: $8 + 8d costs the same amount as $8√2
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2016, 07:04:25 pm »

Donald could have made <1> = $(1-e), where e is an infinitesimal.  But then Engineer would be able to three-pile too fast, which is ultimately why we end up going back to the product order again.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2016, 07:19:54 pm »
+1

In the infinitesimal scheme, you could Remodel an Engineer to get a Stables, but not a Gold.  And a sabotaged Engineer could gain you a <2>, Poor House, or a $0.  An arbitrartily expensive card costing <M> could be remodeled to gain a card costing <M+2> or $(M+1), but not $(M+2).  The linear way to prevent a jump down is if e is infintesimal.  Otherwise, a fan card costing the amount <1/e> (with e a small real number, such as 10^-(10^10^10^10^10)) would cost the same as $(1/e-1), which should not be the case if you have exactly $(1/e-1) to pay right now.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:16:59 pm by Minotaur »

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2016, 07:52:24 pm »
+2

I think of debt the same way I think of imaginary numbers. This is an easy way to explain the concept to nerdy types to give an intuitive understanding of "cost more" and "cost less" situations.

2+3i is "more than" 2+2i or 1+3i, but it is not more than (or less than) 1+4i.
Um. Your mathematics is broken.

While |3i| is more than |2i|, |-3| is also more than |+2|, which isn't at all what you want here. You can't say 3i is more than 2i because, although we know that +i and -i are different, we can't tell which is which.

The correct model, as Minotaur mentioned in passing, is a product order over the integers or naturals.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:20 pm »

new idea: $8 + 8d costs the same amount as $8√2

And Wedding is cheaper than Gold!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2016, 08:46:28 pm »
+1

Another good reason for the product order is that you "can afford" <100> even when you can't afford $5.  So is <100> < $5?  I still wouldn't think so.

For mechanics involving card costs, some heuristic could have been used like <1>=$1, but it's definitely reasonable to regard them the way you would regard gold/wood/food in Age of Empires, even if there is a one-way street from gold to wood.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.