Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Empires Rulebook  (Read 110976 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Rulebook
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2016, 05:24:52 pm »

I guess we also have Sacrifice, but man, if that were the only source of Village on the board, that would probably be a hard engine to pull off.
On the plus side, the combination of Sacrifice and Fortress would be pretty nifty!

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2016, 05:29:34 pm »
+1

If the first Province gained is is on the same turn that triggers the end condition (e.g. 3 pile), does the Mountain Pass bidding still happen or not? (the base rules say to end the game, but the Mountain Pass says to do the bidding after that turn - which rule overrules?)
Look at the rules carefully. The original Dominion rulebook says "The game ends at the end of any player's turn when...".

And "Mountain Pass" happens "after that turn".

After that turn is later than at the end of it. The game ends before Mountain Pass has time to trigger.

(And, when you think about it, this is likely why Mountain Pass was worded in such a way. Otherwise, the person to the left of the current player just bids <40> and gets 8VP for free.)

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2016, 05:37:39 pm »
+1

(And, when you think about it, this is likely why Mountain Pass was worded in such a way. Otherwise, the person to the left of the current player just bids <40> and gets 8VP for free.)

That's precisely why we had the question when playing the game.

Also, I believe it's worded to trigger between turns so that each player is free to make their own choice during the bidding. Otherwise, when possessing you I just have you pass on your bid and I take the +8VP for 1 Debt in a 2 player game.

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2016, 06:13:57 pm »
+7

Did anyone else notice that on the second page of the rulebook it says (emphasis mine):

Dominion: Empires is an expansion, and cannot be played by itself; to play with it, you need Dominion or the first edition of Intrigue, as both provide the Basic cards as well as the full rules for setup and game play.

Seems to suggest that when the next printing of Intrigue occurs it may just be a regular expansion and not a standalone set.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2016, 07:02:39 pm »

If the first Province gained is is on the same turn that triggers the end condition (e.g. 3 pile), does the Mountain Pass bidding still happen or not? (the base rules say to end the game, but the Mountain Pass says to do the bidding after that turn - which rule overrules?)
Look at the rules carefully. The original Dominion rulebook says "The game ends at the end of any player's turn when...".

And "Mountain Pass" happens "after that turn".

After that turn is later than at the end of it. The game ends before Mountain Pass has time to trigger.

By analogy, Caravan says to draw a card at the start of your next turn, but if the game ends before your next turn, you don't get to draw a card.  Likewise, if you buy Mission and the last Province, you don't get a Mission turn.  Or if your opponent plays an attack and you set aside Horse Traders, but your opponent then buys the last Province, you don't get to return Horse Traders to your hand or draw a card from it.

In short, it's entirely possible to trigger an effect, but then end the game before that effect can be carried out.  Mountain Pass is no exception.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2016, 07:13:54 pm »
+1

Did anyone else notice that on the second page of the rulebook it says (emphasis mine):

Dominion: Empires is an expansion, and cannot be played by itself; to play with it, you need Dominion or the first edition of Intrigue, as both provide the Basic cards as well as the full rules for setup and game play.

Seems to suggest that when the next printing of Intrigue occurs it may just be a regular expansion and not a standalone set.

Good find! For me Intrigue is already just an expansion; I took the base cards out and put them in Hinterlands.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2016, 07:15:28 pm »

...and therefore also not a way to be able to play with 5-6 players?

I can't pretend I've done that often, but when you need to, you need to. And you can have two games of Dominion going on at once, of course.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2016, 08:01:02 pm »
+5

...and therefore also not a way to be able to play with 5-6 players?

I can't pretend I've done that often, but when you need to, you need to. And you can have two games of Dominion going on at once, of course.

http://riograndegames.com/Game/419-Dominion-Base-cards

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:34 pm »

Well, yes. But you'd want all the basic Treasures and Victories to match... surely?

Then again, maybe the main game is going to get the refreshed base cards artwork sometime.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2016, 09:47:18 pm »

I noticed that as well and was not sure what to make of it

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2016, 10:15:44 pm »

They sell the Dominion Base cards alone now, so I would imagine they're removing the base cards from Intrigue to cut costs or something.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:52 pm »

Err, I don't believe that's true. Pulling from the rulebook: The 8VP is only given out to the highest bidder. This doesn't happen if there is no highest bidder. The other player(s) simply have to bid <40> as well.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2016, 11:10:00 pm »
+3

Err, I don't believe that's true. Pulling from the rulebook: The 8VP is only given out to the highest bidder. This doesn't happen if there is no highest bidder. The other player(s) simply have to bid <40> as well.
"Each bid can be a pass, or a higher bid than the previous bid."

Mountain Pass is between turns because of Possession. It has a maximum bid because the "correct" bid might be "unbounded."

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2016, 11:27:44 pm »
+6

It has a maximum bid because the "correct" bid might be "unbounded."
"oh yeah? well i bid infinity plus two"
"my dad can beat up your dad"
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »

"Hah!  I got those 8!"
"Yeah, well, good luck buying anything for the rest of the game."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2016, 12:16:04 am »

Question on Triumphal Arch: If you only have 1 kind of action card in your deck, do you still get a vp award or not?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2016, 02:02:33 am »
+3

"Hah!  I got those 8!"
"Yeah, well, good luck buying anything for the rest of the game."
"I can draw my deck which includes two Expands and three Ironworks. I don't need to buy anything for the rest of the game."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2016, 02:23:31 am »

Mountain Pass is between turns because of Possession. It has a maximum bid because the "correct" bid might be "unbounded."

I don't understand why that's a problem.  Tokens aren't physically limited, and frankly "you can't buy anything for the remainder of the game" is as easy to keep track of as 40 debt tokens is, isn't it?

I guess the difficult case is where the "correct" answer is somewhere in the 100s or 1000s and you don't want to wait for someone to make those calculations.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2016, 02:53:17 am »
+10

I don't understand why that's a problem.  Tokens aren't physically limited, and frankly "you can't buy anything for the remainder of the game" is as easy to keep track of as 40 debt tokens is, isn't it?
It's yuck. The problem is it's yuck. Yuck ptui.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2016, 03:20:07 am »

Well, there's a way to create an infinite amount of $, right?
Surely CelestialChameleon or someone else figured this out.

And we don't want to go through the whole ordeal of someone actually trying to do it after bidding 99999999999D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2016, 03:25:01 am »
+22

Well, there's a way to create an infinite amount of $, right?
Surely CelestialChameleon or someone else figured this out.

Empires makes this easy: just create half of the infinite amount and then double it with Fortune.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2016, 03:31:50 am »

Or I could just play an infinite amount of Coppers with Black Market and just play a single Bank during my buy phase.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2016, 05:43:58 am »
+3

I guess the difficult case is where the "correct" answer is somewhere in the 100s or 1000s and you don't want to wait for someone to make those calculations.

There can be a case where the correct bid is basically infinite. Having a bid limit seems a lot more elegant than Player 1 bidding Graham's Number, and player 2 bidding Graham's Number +1.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2016, 06:29:32 am »

In hindsight, I kinda expected there would be more Debt cards and less vp stuff. I'm not complaining, though! :)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2016, 08:24:26 am »
+1

There can be a case where the correct bid is basically infinite. Having a bid limit seems a lot more elegant than Player 1 bidding Graham's Number, and player 2 bidding Graham's Number +1.
Having a bid limit has the upside of making it crystal clear how much to bid to make sure you're winning the bid.
This may prevent analysis paralysis; oh should I bid 13 or 23 or 103? Just bid 40 if you desperately want to win.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.