Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Empires Rulebook  (Read 111022 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Rulebook
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2016, 09:16:21 am »

Obscure rules questions time!

If I play BoM-as-Encampment, and don't reveal anything, what happens? The way I see it, I would set it aside (thereby BoM stops being an Encampment), and at the start of cleanup, there's a blue dog situation because it is unclear what "return it to the supply" means now. So does BoM just remain set aside for the rest of the game, or does it go back to the BoM pile? I assume it doesn't go to the Encampment pile, because that would be crazy.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:29 am »
+1

I think it's pretty clear you return BoM to the supply, because the effect is set up as you set the card aside and not later. You return the card to its normal pile.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:12 am »
+3

I think it's pretty clear you return BoM to the supply, because the effect is set up as you set the card aside and not later. You return the card to its normal pile.

This is covered in the Overlord FAQ.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

flaquito

• Steward
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:48 am »
+1

I'm not sure I get how D(et)onate works. "After your turn", that means after discarding everything from play, right? But is it before or after drawing 5 cards?

It's after you draw your 5 (or 3 for outpost) cards. Your entire deck will end up in your hand.

And how do you "shuffle your hand into your deck", when everything is already in your hand?

Place all cards from hand in draw pile. Shuffle draw pile. Draw 5 cards.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2016, 09:20:40 am »
+2

One thing I'm confused about though is with capital can you pay off the debt on your clean-up phase then or do you still have to wait next turn to pay it off? I would guess that you would have to pay it off next turn, but the rules say that you have a extra chance then to pay your debt on your clean up phase if I'm reading it right, but that's when you've already discarded all your actions and treasures.
It says you can pay it off at the end of your turn on the card.
The problem is you don't get the debt until you discard it from play and the only way to really discard it from play is go directly to your clean-up phase at which point your already going to be discarding all your actions and treasures that gave you the money in the first place unless somehow that money is still retained on your clean-up phase so I'm not sure.

You still have any leftover money during your clean-up phase. Money isn't tied to having Treasures or whatever in play, it's just tied to having played them sometime earlier during your turn.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2016, 09:28:20 am »
+2

Also, nobody has mentioned it yet, so I'll point out the obvious: Forum+cost reduction is the insta-pile card that we've all been waiting for.

Villa works as well.

MattTV

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2016, 09:36:54 am »

One thing I'm confused about though is with capital can you pay off the debt on your clean-up phase then or do you still have to wait next turn to pay it off? I would guess that you would have to pay it off next turn, but the rules say that you have a extra chance then to pay your debt on your clean up phase if I'm reading it right, but that's when you've already discarded all your actions and treasures.
It says you can pay it off at the end of your turn on the card.
The problem is you don't get the debt until you discard it from play and the only way to really discard it from play is go directly to your clean-up phase at which point your already going to be discarding all your actions and treasures that gave you the money in the first place unless somehow that money is still retained on your clean-up phase so I'm not sure.

You still have any leftover money during your clean-up phase. Money isn't tied to having Treasures or whatever in play, it's just tied to having played them sometime earlier during your turn.
Ahh I see, I didn't know that but that makes sense. thanks Mic Qsenoch

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2016, 09:40:23 am »

So, without knowing whether there are going to be further clarifications in Guilds/Alchemy reprints: Is it true that i can now both spend my opponent's coin tokens AND use his Baker to get coin tokens when i possess him?

Edit: Apparently there's a discussion about the Possession errata already. I'll ask there.

Edit Edit: Apparently that thread has been closed, so nevermind.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:54:16 am by Asper »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2016, 09:55:21 am »
+3

If you have Charm in a Kingdom with two of the 8 Debt cost cards, you can get a 2 for 1 deal, and you don't even have to have any money to start with.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2016, 10:02:36 am »

Donate - Wow, this turns the game on its head.

Indeed.  Villa was the card that most twisted my head in knots trying to think through the game mechanics implications, but Donate was my biggest OMG moment.  I'm particularly interested in seeing how the strategies for best using it evolve.

Mountain Pass - OK, so this is the card with bidding[...]

...and hopefully people now understand why the fears about a bidding mechanic were perhaps somewhat overblown.  :-)

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2016, 10:03:37 am »
+9

So if I play Overlord as BoM as Conspirator, do I get the +1 Card, +1 Action when I play Conspirator for playing 3 actions?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2016, 10:05:14 am »
+2

I would think so.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2016, 10:06:34 am »

Also, nobody has mentioned it yet, so I'll point out the obvious: Forum+cost reduction is the insta-pile card that we've all been waiting for.

Villa works as well.

Yes, but a load of Fora don't hurt your deck, while too many Villae probably do. :)

Looking forward to all the fun plurals, btw.

(stretching it as far as decently possible, you also have Gladiatores, Basilicae, Emporia, Arenae, and Musea)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2016, 10:17:29 am »

Didn't Rats already do that?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2016, 10:17:55 am »
+1

So if I play Overlord as BoM as Conspirator, do I get the +1 Card, +1 Action when I play Conspirator for playing 3 actions?

Plus all tokens from all 3 piles!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:11 am »
+2

So many new cards; I'll post my first impressions of my favorites.

Forum: I've been hoping for a card line this for a while. We really have needed more sifters that preserve your handsize. I really like the cost, how yes it costs $5 but not a buy. I foresee jokes about the name.

Engineer: I like how the debt cost helps balance this card, not because you would normally pay less for it up front, but because you can't do crazy things with trashing Engineers to gain Engineers and then play them to gain more cards.

Delve: I want to add "like Silver" to the end of the rulebook entry.  :D

Sacrifice: I guess the flavor fits in with Tribute rather than Iron. I do like how it does slightly different things than similar cards. And it provides a reason why you might actually want to trash Estate-Crowns if that worked, so that question didn't go to waste. It's cool to finally have a trashing village.

Ritual: I love Bishop, so I think I'll like this. It's great if you have a way to get rid of those curses. I can see it being really good with Provinces and Colonies.

Defiled Shrine: I just love the interaction with Curses here. Curse is such a good card!

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:37 am »

Messenger or Ambassador on a split pile - how does that work? Do you stop when you run out of the similarly named card, or continue digging down the pile?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2016, 11:23:17 am »
+7

Messenger or Ambassador on a split pile - how does that work? Do you stop when you run out of the similarly named card, or continue digging down the pile?

It's not any different from Ruins or Knights, you stop when the card name doesn't match.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2016, 11:50:14 am »
+33

I think SCSN has a new favorite event in Delve.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2016, 11:52:55 am »

Obelisk + Port looks entertaining. Who is the village idiot now?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2016, 11:55:19 am »

Sadly not.

But you presumably do get the benefit of any of your tokens on Overlord, on BoM and on what you play BoM as. That alone could be an epic hack to get around Teacher's restriction.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2016, 11:57:35 am »
+4

Sadly not.

But you presumably do get the benefit of any of your tokens on Overlord, on BoM and on what you play BoM as. That alone could be an epic hack to get around Teacher's restriction.

Happily so. (Donald reversed the ruling to which you linked.)

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2016, 12:00:35 pm »

I don't think Donate will be quite as amazing as it looks at first.  Yes, it's crazy, but you'll probably only want to buy it once because of the cost, and it'll be hard knowing when to do that.
One use case I can think of: when you have a 4/3 or 3/4 split and there's a $5 card you really must have ASAP.

Buy Donate on your first turn, eliminating your Estates and two Coppers. Pay off the remaining debt on turn two. Turn three, you're certain to have a $5 hand. Turn four, you're 83% likely to draw your shiny $5 card, and if you don't you have $5 to buy a second.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2016, 12:04:52 pm »

Delve - Makes Silver cheaper to buy.  Simple enough.  I don't expect this to make a difference on most boards.  It could make Silver-favouring cards (Feodum and Conquest?) more viable though, and it may give an edge to Big Money strategies where they otherwise wouldn't be competitive.  Hmm.
Don't forget the +buy - it's not just cheaper, it's more easily multi-buyable, meaning $4's a ton better if you want silvers.

Not forgotten; refunding the Buy is another way it is cheaper!

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2016, 12:06:06 pm »

Sadly not.
Happily so. (Donald reversed the ruling to which you linked.)
OK. I grant that you sound like you know what you're talking about, but is there any evidence the ruling in the Wiki is more recent than the ruling in that thread?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.