Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion (in real life) accessories  (Read 6514 times)

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Dominion (in real life) accessories
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:58 am »

I enjoy finding accessories to make games easier to set up, clean up, and store, or just to pimp them out.  I'm wondering if any of you have Dominion accessories that you find helpful.  I've got the Hobby Lobby box with the Broken Token insert, which should manage to just barely hold it all with the Empires expansion, although my extra sets of base cards have to come out.  I've got some screw-together bead containers like these (http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stackable-Containers-Crafts-Findings/dp/B001AS6OLK) that are good for holding tokens and for fitting in the insert.  One addition I made recently, idea stolen from somebody at a convention, is using popsicle sticks as place holders in the box for the kingdom piles in play each game.  This way I can quickly put them away.

The one thing I'm missing is some kind of card organizer for use during game play.  The inevitably messy piles trigger my OCD.  Anybody have anything they use?

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion (in real life) accessories
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:06:09 am »
+7

I enjoy finding accessories to make games easier to set up, clean up, and store, or just to pimp them out.  I'm wondering if any of you have Dominion accessories that you find helpful.  I've got the Hobby Lobby box with the Broken Token insert, which should manage to just barely hold it all with the Empires expansion, although my extra sets of base cards have to come out.  I've got some screw-together bead containers like these (http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stackable-Containers-Crafts-Findings/dp/B001AS6OLK) that are good for holding tokens and for fitting in the insert.  One addition I made recently, idea stolen from somebody at a convention, is using popsicle sticks as place holders in the box for the kingdom piles in play each game.  This way I can quickly put them away.

The one thing I'm missing is some kind of card organizer for use during game play.  The inevitably messy piles trigger my OCD.  Anybody have anything they use?

Zoloft

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:12:03 am »
+1

I've slowly been 3D printing those nesting card racks that someone posted a month or two ago. The first 4 or so came out pretty nice, barely needed any finishing / sanding. Once I make another dozen I'll let you know how well they work in games.

The Broken Token dividers have been functional but kind of shitty for me. The sub dividers keep falling out. I've been meaning to print bigger ones that won't fall out so much.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »
+1

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:35:19 pm »
+1

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63836/instructions-building-dominion-play-mat

Not sure what you're looking for, Orange, but there's this. I've been using one since I built it about 5 years ago. I built extra sections as expansions continued to surface, that fit a lip under the main board, on a round turntable.

There are little (1 ounce or less) shelf-stable plastic half-and-half coffee creamer cups that restaurants around me have for coffee drinkers, instead of cream in a little pitcher. They work well holding the tokens on Empires Kingdom cards.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 11:42:40 pm »
+5

I needed someone to play with so I got an inflatable doll and taped the harem card art to it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:43:40 am »

That game board, if doubled, could hold the max number of piles currnetly possible within the game, including events/landmarks (assuming you only use two), with four spaces left.
I will now list those piles, feel free to let me know if I missed anything. Base cards and trash(8), platinum/colony and prosperity card(11), looter and ruins(13), spoils and spoil generator(15), tournament and prizes(17), page, peasant, and their upgrades(27), hermit/madman and urchin/mercenary(31), potion cost and potions(33), black market and black market deck(35), one other kingdom card(36), and events/landmarks(38). I now plan on actually building this.
Edit: fixed the 8 and ) turning into a face (again)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:47:24 am by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:42:49 am »
+3

Edit: fixed the 8 and ) turning into a face

FYI, there is a box in the advanced post editing page labeled "Don't use smileys." You can check that, and use 8) all day long without it turning into an emoticon.

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Other people use the strategy of clicking in the middle of the smiley and adding a bold tag or other such thing. This allows you to kill a smiley without disabling them for your entire post. 

It would look like this in the editor:
8[b][/b])

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 11:44:39 am »

Edit: fixed the 8 and ) turning into a face

FYI, there is a box in the advanced post editing page labeled "Don't use smileys." You can check that, and use 8) all day long without it turning into an emoticon.

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Other people use the strategy of clicking in the middle of the smiley and adding a bold tag or other such thing. This allows you to kill a smiley without disabling them for your entire post. 

It would look like this in the editor:
8[b][/b])
Thank you, kind sir. Will do that. Was late at night and too lazy to be clever. Thank you for doing so for me.
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:23 am »
+1

I don't own one of these (though I want to) so I can't actually vouch for this, but I've always thought this thing looked pretty badass.

I kinda wanna make one.

http://www.dominionpro.com
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 11:52:43 am »
+1

I don't know, I find just having the cards out by themselves is pretty nice.

The one accessory that would be great is storage. If there's a way to conveniently store all of the Dominion cards and the tokens, that would be very useful. As it stands, that's not really going to be possible as more expansions get released.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 12:13:18 pm »

That game board, if doubled, could hold the max number of piles currnetly possible within the game, including events/landmarks (assuming you only use two), with four spaces left.
I will now list those piles, feel free to let me know if I missed anything. Base cards and trash(8), platinum/colony and prosperity card(11), looter and ruins(13), spoils and spoil generator(15), tournament and prizes(17), page, peasant, and their upgrades(27), hermit/madman and urchin/mercenary(31), potion cost and potions(33), black market and black market deck(35), one other kingdom card(36), and events/landmarks(38). I now plan on actually building this.

By my count, you would only need 32.

11 kingdom cards (including bane)
8 base cards
3 plat/colony/potion
8 (ruins, spoils, prizes, page upgrades, peasant upgrades, madman, mercenary, black market deck)
2 events/landmarks

So 11x3, to give you a spare event if you want to do that, or 8x4 to be a little more compact from side to side. Maybe add some extras for tokens (or just figure that the likelihood of needing the max number of piles is pretty slim.)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »

By my count, you would only need 32.

11 kingdom cards (including bane)
8 base cards
3 plat/colony/potion
8 (ruins, spoils, prizes, page upgrades, peasant upgrades, madman, mercenary, black market deck)
2 events/landmarks

So 11x3, to give you a spare event if you want to do that, or 8x4 to be a little more compact from side to side. Maybe add some extras for tokens (or just figure that the likelihood of needing the max number of piles is pretty slim.)
No, I am correct, for the way I do page/peasant. I separate the upgrades into individual piles, so that would be 4 extra piles per traveller. You apparently put them all into one pile. My way makes each upgrade easier to access, yours is more compact. Just depends on your style

bardo

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: g. lazalde
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:51:45 pm »

Ah, yes. Yours makes more sense.

If I ever do this, I think I would have a base of 2x10 or maybe 4x5 or 4x6. Then make either another 2x10 unit (or 2 1x10 units) or something comparable for 4x6 units, and make them interlock. I would get bugged with all the spaces that would typically be empty.

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 03:29:27 pm »

I've got some screw-together bead containers like these (http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Stackable-Containers-Crafts-Findings/dp/B001AS6OLK) that are good for holding tokens and for fitting in the insert.  One addition I made recently, idea stolen from somebody at a convention, is using popsicle sticks as place holders in the box for the kingdom piles in play each game.  This way I can quickly put them away.

For the tokens I found some small containers from the dollar store. They were 10 for a dollar, and they work great. I'm still looking for a storage solution to hold my cards and mats before I get any more expansions. It's just taking up too much closet space.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 09:50:30 am »
+1

If there's a way to conveniently store all of the Dominion cards and the tokens, that would be very useful.

Here's my storage solution:

http://www.staples.com/Solo-Pro-Laptop-Attache-TItanium-AC100-10-/product_555681

This solution fits every expansion, including Empires, everything sleeved, all of the randomizers and blanks, and all of the mats. And a tablet with the randomizer app. And there's still room for another expansion or two, because you could theoretically make a pocket for the mats that would fit above the cards (there's a bit of vertical wiggle room.)

Gut the inside, other than the layer of protective foam around the entire interior. Jam in a few strips of basswood to make the columns and you're all set.

A small fishing tackle box fits inside with all of the tokens, including Adventures supply tokens, coins, victory and debt.

For table organization, I just use piles. Base Victory / Treasure all go sideways, then two columns of 5 Kingdom cards. Events and Trash to one side, Bane/Travelers/misc. on the other side. Makes a slightly wider than square rectangle with playing space on all sides even on a smallish table.

Petrovic

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:18 am »
+1

I wasn't happy with any of the storage solutions out there, so I made my own. I had made a wooden box about 15 inches square, 6 inches tall which held all the unsleeved cards including empires. Recently decided to sleeve the cards so they didn't fit in that box any longer.

It got tiresome to carry that box around, so I went a different direction this time.

I think I have room for three or four more expansions now. Here's to hoping that there will be more.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxCKAVAvB-buWl9YcFRQR0dEbEU
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.