Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Dark Ages: Feodum  (Read 7745 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Dark Ages: Feodum
« on: June 05, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »
+1

Feodum
How do you stop SCSN from entering your house? Build it on a Feodum.
                          -Seprix

This is probably the Alt-VP card I am the least skilled at, but one of my favorites at the same time. It's the card where you suddenly want stupid Bureaucrat, or that awful Masterpiece, or even freaking dumb Raid that is completely overrated and is not very viable at all. Just read Geronimoo's Article linked below, it does a much better job of discussing Feodum than I. I don't know how many to trash, or when to keep one, or whatever the math is to get the optimal points.
  • Where does Feodum rank among Alt-VP cards?
  • Can we all agree that jsh would basically kill to see pristine art quality of Feodum's caliber on all Dominion cards?
  • Best cases for Feodum? Worst?

for more reading on Feodum: Geronimoo's Article [2015]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:03:28 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Let's Discuss Dark Ages: Rats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:01:34 pm »
+2

Rats is a pretty cool card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Dark Ages: Rats
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:03:46 pm »

Rats is a pretty cool card.

That was embarrassing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Let's Discuss Dark Ages: Feodum
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »
+1

Seprix, you'll be happy to know that I played a kingdom with Masterpiece, Raid, and Feodum, and there was no good time to buy Raid over Masterpiece before the Silvers ran out.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 02:28:43 pm »

Seprix, you'll be happy to know that I played a kingdom with Masterpiece, Raid, and Feodum, and there was no good time to buy Raid over Masterpiece before the Silvers ran out.

Screw Raid.

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:29:53 pm »
+1

I played a kingdom with Amulet, Raid, and Feodum, and there were plenty of times when Raid was preferable to anything else.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 04:44:12 pm »
+2

I don't like Feodum particularly. If there is Masterpiece or Trader you'll have a mirror that includes three different cards you may buy.

There are some weak enabler that make Feodum ok, but the games don't become more fun. Feodum is the most fun to me when I can use it as a gainer
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 06:05:27 pm »
+1

I find feodum interesting just because of how different it is. I have yet to play it in a kingdom with travellers, but treasure hunter might actually be good in that instance. Trader and masterpiece seem to be the way to go. Overpay masterpiece for silver, trash it with trader for more silver. Of course, we all know that overpaying masterpiece by only one coin is pointless, and that you may as well by silver.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »

Oh, and as for trashing it, that's only good when you have more feodums than the value of your feodums. I realize that sounds weird, but essentially, you need to get more points back than the feodum you trashed is worth, otherwise that move actually is detrimental.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:02 pm »
+2

Feodum never got the hate it deserves, it is unfair to other bad cards which are properly hated.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »
+1

I'm looking forward for the Treasure Hunter/Feodum board with any trasher and +buy on the board where I will bring the Feodum player back to zero points.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 09:09:57 pm »

I'm looking forward for the Treasure Hunter/Feodum board with any trasher and +buy on the board where I will bring the Feodum player back to zero points.

That would be very fun, but you may hit nothing but Silver for awhile.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 09:42:17 pm »

That is points for the feodum player

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 09:49:37 pm »

Feodum never got the hate it deserves, it is unfair to other bad cards which are properly hated.

This.

There are only a handful of cards that make it worth going  for. Though, I have bought it a couple of times for it's trash for benefit.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 11:02:41 pm »

And, after I posted that, I just played a Feodum/Jack/Raid game. Hey Seprix, I finally bought Raid.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 11:40:27 pm »

And, after I posted that, I just played a Feodum/Jack/Raid game. Hey Seprix, I finally bought Raid.

But Raid sucks!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 05:18:06 am »

Feodum is a cool card, one of my favorites. Any Silver gainer works with it; everyone knows about Masterpiece and Trader, but I've tried Amulet/Feodum, Squire/Feodum and even Explorer/Feodum to decent success. It's not always easy to play: you have to evaluate carefully whether this Feodum/silver gainer thing, which is often kind of a mixture between BM and slog, is actually stronger than, for example, a strong engine on the same board. And even if you correctly find that Feodum is the best option, how do you play it? If you have a hand of 4 Silvers + something, do you get a Province or another Feodum? Difficult choices.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:32:51 am »

Feodum is the most fun to me when I can use it as a gainer

I overlook this all the time in Feodum games.  I was playing a game recently where my opponent and I were in a mirror, I can't remember the details exactly but we were trashing down and building our engines.  Suddenly he buys a Feodum, and I think "man, that's crazy, Feodum can't win on this board".  There was some kind of gainer, so I think maybe he's going to try and build an engine that can grab multiple silvers per turn, but it just seems like a bad idea.  A couple turns later he's trashed his Feodum, and now his payload is much better than mine.  We both had self-drawing decks but already he's $6 ahead of me.  I lost. 

So ya, don't overlook grabbing a Feodum just for some quick silvers sometimes. 

And not that this is "Let's Discuss Adventures Cards - Raid", but it certainly has it's moments.  In non-engine games, there's been times when I've had $5, but don't want to buy another $5 terminal, I have too many already.  So I buy Raid, gain one silver, and I've just Minioned you.  Not a bad buy at all. 

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:51 am »
+1

Feodum is a cool card, one of my favorites. Any Silver gainer works with it; everyone knows about Masterpiece and Trader, but I've tried Amulet/Feodum, Squire/Feodum and even Explorer/Feodum to decent success. It's not always easy to play: you have to evaluate carefully whether this Feodum/silver gainer thing, which is often kind of a mixture between BM and slog, is actually stronger than, for example, a strong engine on the same board. And even if you correctly find that Feodum is the best option, how do you play it? If you have a hand of 4 Silvers + something, do you get a Province or another Feodum? Difficult choices.
Lets say the engine player can Drain the provinces in 16 turns
First shuffle of feudum player get to single silver gainers. Turns 1,2
2nd shuffle play those to get two silvers and buy two more of them turns 3,4
3rd shuffle play your silver gainers to get 3 silvers(two collided) buy three silvers 5,6,7 (8 silvers in deck 4 gainers)
4th shuffle buy feudum *3 gain three silvers buy silver turns 8,9,10,11(3 feudum 12 silvers 4 silver gainers)
5th shuffle Buy feudum *5 gain 4 silvers 12,13,14,15,16
Game over engine player has 48 points.
Feudum player has 40 points
Engine player wins.
Feudum is actually weaker than an engine that can start double provinceing turn 12.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:43 pm »
+3

Lets say the engine player can Drain the provinces in 16 turns
First shuffle of feudum player get to single silver gainers. Turns 1,2
2nd shuffle play those to get two silvers and buy two more of them turns 3,4
3rd shuffle play your silver gainers to get 3 silvers(two collided) buy three silvers 5,6,7 (8 silvers in deck 4 gainers)
4th shuffle buy feudum *3 gain three silvers buy silver turns 8,9,10,11(3 feudum 12 silvers 4 silver gainers)
5th shuffle Buy feudum *5 gain 4 silvers 12,13,14,15,16
Game over engine player has 48 points.
Feudum player has 40 points
Engine player wins.
Feudum is actually weaker than an engine that can start double provinceing turn 12.

This doesn't factor in that the Feodum player will be able to snatch 1 or two Provinces.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 12:32:10 pm »
+3

Feodum isn't usually a rush strategy and it can't usually beat a good engine. But is this really different than any alt VP based strategy that isn't Vineyard? Nah. Feodum is one of the weaker alt VP strategies but it is unique and cool in how it plays out.

The cool aspect of a Feodum strategy is that unlike Gardens or whatever, your deck is actually okay the entire game. Hands of 3-4 Silver aren't uncommon at all in a Feodum game and that allows the Feodum player more end game control by sniping Provinces at opportune times. You can also get support cards that would generally be too expensive for other rushes; 5 cost fun cards like Merchant Guild or Margrave or really anything with expensive +Buy benefit can be a decent mid game pickup in a Feodum game, occasionally.

For Feodum to be good, you need the engine to be weak, you need some help getting Silver, and some reason to believe the game won't end very quickly. In those cases Feodum can slog it out really nicely.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 01:43:10 pm »

double if the feudum player snatches provinces then the game won't last is long. It's already too short for this slog.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:44:32 pm by Limetime »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 01:43:24 pm »

I don't think it's cool how it play out. It's so binary: Either there is one enabler that makes Feodum strong or there isn't. Compare that to other alt vp cards (Garden,Vineyard,Farigrounds,Silk Road) which are just so more versatile.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 02:45:20 pm »

I don't think it's cool how it play out. It's so binary: Either there is one enabler that makes Feodum strong or there isn't.
Not at all. Feodum is with fairground and vineyard the least "binary" alt-vp card. A deck full of silvers can grab provinces, not a deck full of alt-vp/duchy/junk.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »
+1

I don't think it's cool how it play out. It's so binary: Either there is one enabler that makes Feodum strong or there isn't.
Not at all. Feodum is with fairground and vineyard the least "binary" alt-vp card. A deck full of silvers can grab provinces, not a deck full of alt-vp/duchy/junk.

I think he means binary as in "it's either great or awful", not binary as in "you make few choices"
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.