Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Seprix's Game Report Centre  (Read 24782 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Game Report Centre
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »

I got Tac more for the buy than anything else. I wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 12:46:30 am »
+1

In that kingdom you can just get 1 forge, forge all junk, then mill provinces while buying them. Tac seems way to slow.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 01:43:35 pm »

In that kingdom you can just get 1 forge, forge all junk, then mill provinces while buying them. Tac seems way to slow.

He was still buying multiple Provinces a turn, so I don't know if I would have won doing that.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

vsiewnar

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +296
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 02:01:55 pm »
+2

In this game, his Steward/Steward left him significantly behind on trashing, so I like a Bishop golden deck to close out the game.

I overlooked the Bishop golden deck here. By the time Seprix set it up, I was too far behind to do anything reasonable. I was actually going for the Explorer into Gold/Bishop trash Gold thing from the start.

However, what do you mean by 'significantly behind on trashing'? Is it because the Steward missed the shuffle? Asking here to learn something.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »

In this game, his Steward/Steward left him significantly behind on trashing, so I like a Bishop golden deck to close out the game.

I overlooked the Bishop golden deck here. By the time Seprix set it up, I was too far behind to do anything reasonable. I was actually going for the Explorer into Gold/Bishop trash Gold thing from the start.

However, what do you mean by 'significantly behind on trashing'? Is it because the Steward missed the shuffle? Asking here to learn something.

I thinned a card before I even shuffled for the first time, and your Steward also missed the shuffle. I don't know why, but you thinned down less than I did, perhaps because you were buying things as well.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 11:38:06 am »

This game pissed me off.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160628/log.0.1467128098106.txt

Code: [Select]
Duchess, Ambassador, Coppersmith, Cultist, Stash, Storyteller, Venture, Wine Merchant, Harem, Prince
We split the Ruins and I have a decent chance of winning. He buys Prince, and I guess that's not terrible since there are Ruins, which I failed to see at the time. However, he hits the best possible card, Ambassador, so I am just lost. It's how the game goes, but I am curious how a Cultist/Ambassador game should play out, and I think I should have gotten Prince as well, or was that too much of a long shot?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 04:54:43 pm »
+2

If you skip ambassador at the start you can't go back to it later even with bad draws. Stick to cultists and try to win with bulk treasures. That's still going to leave some decisions during the game about harems (probably) and whether you want to play a shorter game (probably) using cultists and ruins as two of the empty piles.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 06:05:28 am »
+6

Plan/Steward leaves a 10 card deck with 1 terminal
On T3/T4 the deck trashes two cards, picks up a lighthouse and another card (possible steward trashing another estate)

Steward/Steward leaves a 12 card deck with 2 terminals
Best case is trashing with steward on t3 and t4
The worst case scenarios are pretty bad (stewards colliding, missing the shuffle, or both)

Plan/Steward is slightly better than the best case for Steward/Steward (since you get a clean shuffle)
In this case removing a card (plan) leads to getting thin faster than adding a card (steward)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:11 am »
+4

The worst case scenarios are pretty bad (stewards colliding, missing the shuffle, or both)

Plan/Steward is slightly better than the best case for Steward/Steward (since you get a clean shuffle)
In this case removing a card (plan) leads to getting thin faster than adding a card (steward)

Planning to avoid the worst case is phenomenal.  This advice is golden and clearly shows why one path is better than the other.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 10:57:46 am »

Plan Steward does about the same amount of trashing as Steward/Steward, if not more in the long term, since you can pick up a village, etc.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 05:04:36 pm »

All the games I played today:

I pretty much want to review all of them. I did not play very well at all.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »

I have a lot of Kingdoms to share today. I will share this one first:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467313698959.txt

Raid, Hermit, Ironmonger, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Spy, Highway, Rebuild, Torturer, Harem, Hoard
I went for Rebuild, opponent went for the engine. I started really regretting my Rebuild decision around T11 or so, but I'm very very sure my opponent misplayed. He should have gotten more Hermits and Highways sooner. He took too long. Because of that, I capitalized and won. However, I am certain the engine here is just better, especially with the Curses flying around. I was watching what he was opening, and if he opened Sea Hag I would have gone for the Engine instead. He did not, so I opted for Rebuild, even though I was not so sure.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467307598702.txt

Seaway, Pathfinding, Ambassador, Advisor, Transmogrify, Counterfeit, Laboratory, Mystic, Royal Seal, Hireling, Expand, King's Court
In this game, I got steamrolled. I'm positive I made so many stupid mistakes, so I will catalogue this here to look at later.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 03:36:17 pm »

Last game I have catalogued for now.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467308196096.txt

Save, Pilgrimage, Vagrant, Transmogrify, Artificer, Counterfeit, Rebuild, Soothsayer, Treasury, Venture, Farmland, Peddler
I remember being so dumb with forgetting Save so many times. I had the right strategy, but I think I could have won this much quicker if I didn't play so hastily. Turn 14 is very fast to end the game with, and I think I could have done better.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

I have a lot of Kingdoms to share today. I will share this one first:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467313698959.txt

Raid, Hermit, Ironmonger, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Spy, Highway, Rebuild, Torturer, Harem, Hoard
I went for Rebuild, opponent went for the engine. I started really regretting my Rebuild decision around T11 or so, but I'm very very sure my opponent misplayed. He should have gotten more Hermits and Highways sooner. He took too long. Because of that, I capitalized and won. However, I am certain the engine here is just better, especially with the Curses flying around. I was watching what he was opening, and if he opened Sea Hag I would have gone for the Engine instead. He did not, so I opted for Rebuild, even though I was not so sure.

Hermit/highway with ironmonger/torturer support beats rebuild here (full engine)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »
+2

Last game I have catalogued for now.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467308196096.txt

Save, Pilgrimage, Vagrant, Transmogrify, Artificer, Counterfeit, Rebuild, Soothsayer, Treasury, Venture, Farmland, Peddler
I remember being so dumb with forgetting Save so many times. I had the right strategy, but I think I could have won this much quicker if I didn't play so hastily. Turn 14 is very fast to end the game with, and I think I could have done better.

Something fun to try out here, that probably never works, is using Artificer to top deck an Estate and immediately rebuilding it into a Duchy. It probably isn't worth it, but I have *always* wanted to try this.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:17 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160707/log.0.1467910925390.txt

Wishing Well, Bishop, Mining Village, Nomad Camp, Procession, Scavenger, Walled Village, Baker, Inn, Tactician
Very tense game. I wanted to win the Baker split, as that would allow me a lot more flexibility. We ended up splitting them. My opponent first went for Procession (which I should have done), and then proceeds to go for a Double Tac engine. I think he also misplayed here. There's the objection that you could simply go and pick up Scavengers and Inns for virtual coin, but that is so slow. If I had won the Baker split 6/4, I would have gone with a Bishop double Tac Golden deck, which was the plan.

As it stands, I did not win the split. So my plan became to just speed up to the finish line before it was too late. My opponent opted to go for Gold trashing, which was a viable strategy. He also stocked up on Mining Villages, which allowed him to triple Province eventually, snagging the win. However, he misplayed. Instead of continuing what he was doing, he instead opted to buy double Gold, losing all of his tokens, preventing him from punishing my taking the 4th Province with a forced win. Because of this, I ended up being able to snag the next two Provinces on the very next turn, denying him the win.

I feel like I misplayed though. I could have done the same strategy as him with my slight lead, and it would have been a guaranteed win instead of a win off of his misplay.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:13:38 pm by Seprix »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 03:30:14 pm »
+1

This deck takes a while to assemble so you can't go off the plan buying stuff like silver. Speed in development could instead come from better use of procession, using gained cards in the same turn. This fits with a general assessment that one big tactician turn will get more out of these actions than two single turns, so you can get the core deck components a bit earlier and look for processions to gain the rest as you go along.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 01:54:32 am »
+1

Something fun to try out here, that probably never works, is using Artificer to top deck an Estate and immediately rebuilding it into a Duchy. It probably isn't worth it, but I have *always* wanted to try this.

Adam has theorycrafted this once. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth it. If Artificer doesn't collide with Rebuild you are always guaranteed a Duchy. If it does, you can gain an Estate to Rebuild it. So the first play of Artificer always makes up for the 1 Duchy you could have bought.

Is it worth not having another Rebuild, or having to topdeck a Duchy in the former case? Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

smcrtorchs

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:24 am »
+1

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160707/log.0.1467910925390.txt

Wishing Well, Bishop, Mining Village, Nomad Camp, Procession, Scavenger, Walled Village, Baker, Inn, Tactician
Very tense game. I wanted to win the Baker split, as that would allow me a lot more flexibility. We ended up splitting them. My opponent first went for Procession (which I should have done), and then proceeds to go for a Double Tac engine. I think he also misplayed here. There's the objection that you could simply go and pick up Scavengers and Inns for virtual coin, but that is so slow. If I had won the Baker split 6/4, I would have gone with a Bishop double Tac Golden deck, which was the plan.

As it stands, I did not win the split. So my plan became to just speed up to the finish line before it was too late. My opponent opted to go for Gold trashing, which was a viable strategy. He also stocked up on Mining Villages, which allowed him to triple Province eventually, snagging the win. However, he misplayed. Instead of continuing what he was doing, he instead opted to buy double Gold, losing all of his tokens, preventing him from punishing my taking the 4th Province with a forced win. Because of this, I ended up being able to snag the next two Provinces on the very next turn, denying him the win.

I feel like I misplayed though. I could have done the same strategy as him with my slight lead, and it would have been a guaranteed win instead of a win off of his misplay.

This looks like a double tac.

Your payload should be processing 2 bishops per turn, killing 2 inns and 2 coppers, while you gain 2 inns and rebuy the 2 bishops at the end of the turn. This is 8 points per turn for as long as the bishops are available. Then you can switch to provinces. An early bishop does not look good here as it also helps opp. The baker split is nice, but I would go for the same deck anyway.

Here is a log if you are interested. I gave the board a few tries, first I got 10 bakers, then in the second I believe I made some silly mistakes, then i thought what am I doing with the bishops and it struck me. In the log I bought only 5 bakers and did not trash to any of the bot's bishop plays to simulate human conditions as much as possible.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160708/log.0.1467963493987.txt

The points tally could be 4 points higher, had I not forgotten to process the bishop last turn. I am also not claiming that this is an optimal solution, just what I managed to come up with.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »
+1

Impressive. Procession is truly the highest skill card in Dominion. No debate.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:32 pm »

I thought that was rebuild.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:48 pm »

Not really. Rebuild is up there, but Procession can seriously make a horrible looking engine work and quickly.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 12:31:02 am »
+1

Not really. Rebuild is up there, but Procession can seriously make a horrible looking engine work and quickly.
But, but rebuild is rebuild.

SearingSpear92

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 06:53:21 am »
+2

First, I think that was a really difficult board to play, and hardly anyone would have played either of our strategies optimally the first time. Looking back, getting to triple province would have been great, but it wasn't really on my mind at the time. Sure, I could have managed my coin tokens better, but $24 seemed so far off. I was definitely thinking about getting the last 2 provinces by cashing in the mining villages, but you never let that happen. The main reason I got the mining villages was because I needed the actions. If I was working toward triple province, I would have needed to get hardly any golds because even when I was buying gold + mining village that was taking about all the money I could produce in one turn, so my coin tokens were already dwindling, not increasing. In my mind, I wanted to bishop 2 golds per turn, and make up my points deficit before you could end it on provinces. I was desperately trying to catch up on points the whole time. I think it could have worked, but I should have tracked your deck better to realize I had less time than I thought. I think you played it well, getting the double province exactly when you did to put it out of reach for me. Also, I think I could have done more with procession but I felt pressure to get the bakers quickly because I knew you were going for them hard. After they were out, I thought procession lost a lot of value because the only thing for 5 I could get was Inn, which wasn't very useful to me. The $4 virtual money cards were more important. But I've always struggled with procession.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.