Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Seprix's Game Report Centre  (Read 24817 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Seprix's Game Report Centre
« on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:15 pm »
+1

I think it'll be much better to just put all of my games (and my play in general) into one thread. I have at least two games I want to post a day to look at, but I don't because I don't want to clutter the board. So here's my (hopefully brilliant) solution, which is to just have one thread that you can ignore instead of 203 of them. I'll post games here from now on, I think. This is just a placeholder for future games in the future.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Game Report Centre
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:59:49 pm »
+1

This is just a placeholder for future games in the future.

But what about future games in the past?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:10:43 pm »

This is just a placeholder for future games in the future.

But what about future games in the past?

Future games in the past are games that are going to happen that have already happened but will happen soon.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:18:38 pm »
+2

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160517/log.0.1463523713520.txt

Code: [Select]
Trade, Haven, Pearl Diver, Ratcatcher, Raze, Ambassador, Develop, Advisor, Feodum, Messenger, Adventurer
I love this game, because I got to use Adventurer. I don't know whether I played 'optimally' or not, but given the circumstance I was in, I like the Adventurer I got, since I could quite handily hit Province with it almost all the time towards the endgame.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 10:15:25 pm »
+1

I'd love to hear other thoughts on that kingdom because I'd consider skipping Ambassador completely.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:26:15 pm »

I'd love to hear other thoughts on that kingdom because I'd consider skipping Ambassador completely.

Go for Feodum? I don't see Feodum as very strong, you can't mean that. Having tons of shit in your deck is going to hurt no matter what plan is pursued, so I'd be interested in what your plan would be. I think you *have* to pick up an Ambassador here. Maybe not two, but you need at least one I'd think.

The only viable option here seems to be a straight BM game. Maybe Feodum to be picked up to flood your deck with Silver, but I still think an Ambassador is fine as an opening.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:39:51 pm by Seprix »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:00:40 am »

I'm with Don here, I would definitely at least consider skipping Ambassador here.

Feodum here is viable, and I think it can definitely beat Advisor BM, and it can also probably beat the engine. The engine payload here is, I guess, double Province buys with Messenger as +Buy, 7 Silver (Silver is better than Gold here), and as many Advisors as you can grab. You have two options to thin: Ambassador gets you really thin, and Trade replaces opening cards with the payload of your engine. Trade does really well here actually, but without Feodum it would pretty clearly be best to Ambassador away all your junk. Advisor makes it hard to actually draw your Ambassador though, and you never have to draw Trade... But I would still do Ambassador without Feodum.

But the Feodum slog here is really good! You can use those same Messenger and Advisor for support, and all of the junk Ambassador hands you is just fuel for Trade, which gets you two silver and two fewer junk for $5. Once you trash a few Copper and Estates, even a single Advisor in hand will help your turns (plus it it's the junk you want to get rid of into your hand for you earlier anyway). Ambassador attacks just become Trader fuel for you. You can then buy Feodums while your opponents deck chokes on Provinces. If you need a quick points injection, you can trash 1 or maybe 2 Feodum for a bunch of Silvers with Trade.

So basically I think Feodum beats BM and engine here because you can let the opponent choke on green (Advisor as only draw is a big drawback) and the game will drag on long enough for Feodum to be worth points eventually.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:02:00 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:45:16 am »
+2

We tried only once and it was close but the King Of Silver won and I lost playing the Ambassador. That'll teach me to talk about messenger before the game starts.

I think his draws were slightly worse then mine. I could have built longer but I don't think that helps; more time just means more Silvers for him. My initial plan was to play with only 1 Ambassador, but when I got the ratcatcher/Feodum in my deck I wanted to trash more fanatically.
Join the Dominion League!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:26:17 am »

Well, I guess Feodum is better after all. Eh. Thanks for playing the board though. :)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 01:18:30 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160606/log.0.1465233188787.txt

Page, Swindler, Alchemist, Bishop, Caravan, Plaza, Transmogrify, Band of Misfits, Lost City, Border Village
This game stung.

I had the win, and it looked like I had it rather easily. Even my opponent said so literally a turn before he won it. I had a nice thing going, and I was even gaining Golds with Hero and trashing them with Bishop. Somehow, my opponent threw a hail mary and out Bishoped me while I was buying Provinces. I guess I should have not bought Provinces, but should have gone for the infinite Gold Gain/Bishop instead, and piled out. He played well, gg to him.

However, in retrospect, my opponent had the upper hand, and I was misplaying. I should have been continuing to get free points and begin to pile out with that massive lead instead of buying 'merely' a province.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:23:34 pm by Seprix »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »

A few things:

Your opponent had more Bishops. That means they can get more points per turn, and they can thin their deck more. You should have gotten more Bishops.
Don't worry about gaining Gold until you are about to run out of other stuff to trash. Get your deck consistently drawing itself first.
You can use Transmogrify to turn Estate into Page, 5- and 6-costs into Border Village, Silver/Swindler into Bishop, and also to mill Provinces to take advantage of PPR. I would have gotten Transmogrify on turn 4.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 04:35:59 pm »

Transmogrify and bishop might make caravans a better drawing card than alchemists.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 11:32:46 pm »

We tried only once and it was close but the King Of Silver won and I lost playing the Ambassador. That'll teach me to talk about messenger before the game starts.

I think his draws were slightly worse then mine. I could have built longer but I don't think that helps; more time just means more Silvers for him. My initial plan was to play with only 1 Ambassador, but when I got the ratcatcher/Feodum in my deck I wanted to trash more fanatically.

I'm not even sure if opening Messenger+Feodum is a good idea for SCSN, or that getting Feodum on turns 2 and 5 is the optimal move for the strategy. It prevented him from hitting $5 for Trade as often and the Feodums probably helped you by giving you free Silvers.

I was thinking of opening Silver/Messenger+Silver and just hoping to buy Trade as much as possible to exchange junk for Silvers before diving into green.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160621/log.0.1466473898427.txt

Plan, Lighthouse, Masterpiece, Shanty Town, Steward, Bishop, Cutpurse, Miser, Explorer, Library, Nobles
I played this game against the new Division A player next Dominion League season. He's pretty good, and deserves to be there. Anyways, I managed to beat him in this one game somehow, because I looked at this board, saw there was no +buy, and then decided I'd go for the Bishop Golden deck. The best way to go about that is to thin as fast as possible, so I bought Plan and put it on Steward, and then got a nice Gold hit far sooner than I expected, which led to my deck being Bishop thin T10. I don't really know what he was doing, but it wasn't going to be nearly as fast, so he resigned.

(I promise, this was the only game I beat him at. He's seriously pretty good.)

So the question: Was Bishop Golden deck the best plan (ha, pun)? Or was there something better here?

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 10:33:27 pm »
+1

Bishop is great here

In this game, his Steward/Steward left him significantly behind on trashing, so I like a Bishop golden deck to close out the game.

In a mirror, you can go over the top of the bishop golden deck by using Explorer to gain extra golds and trash them for points while buying up the Nobles

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 09:29:00 am »
+2

On turn 8 you buy a silver but it only becomes an extra card to trash in your deck. You could already make the golden deck from bishop, copper, gold, gold, province.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 11:13:17 am »

On turn 8 you buy a silver but it only becomes an extra card to trash in your deck. You could already make the golden deck from bishop, copper, gold, gold, province.

Ahhhh, that's true! I've always seen Golden decks built with Silver, so I could have done this even faster.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 11:26:37 am »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160517/log.0.1463523713520.txt

Trade, Haven, Pearl Diver, Ratcatcher, Raze, Ambassador, Develop, Advisor, Feodum, Messenger, Adventurer
I love this game, because I got to use Adventurer. I don't know whether I played 'optimally' or not, but given the circumstance I was in, I like the Adventurer I got, since I could quite handily hit Province with it almost all the time towards the endgame.

Interesting. I would have thought Advisor/Messenger would be the best.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:47 pm »
+4

advisor-bm suxxxx
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 07:22:25 pm »

advisor-bm suxxxx

It really does. It's playing Lab BM with only sucky cards.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 10:44:56 pm »

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160623/log.0.1466649647664.txt

Inheritance, Beggar, Haven, Secret Chamber, Chancellor, Bishop, Coppersmith, Procession, Jester, Outpost, Hireling
Check out this weird board.

One thing I missed while doing the whole Procession Hireling thing was Secret Chamber, which is fantastic for Provinces. Maybe I should have had more Bishops as well, but I overall did okay. Maybe turning Estates into Secret Chambers or Bishops was a winning move. I don't know, it seemed slow to me, but maybe it was the right call. I'll leave that to the experts who will reveal some obvious combo I of course missed. It could be Coppersmith. I mean, that's not a bad card here either! You can Haven a card to use next turn too, I missed that. There's a whole lot I missed here in general.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:47:02 pm by Seprix »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 10:51:52 pm »

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160623/log.0.1466649647664.txt

Inheritance, Beggar, Haven, Secret Chamber, Chancellor, Bishop, Coppersmith, Procession, Jester, Outpost, Hireling
Check out this weird board.

One thing I missed while doing the whole Procession Hireling thing was Secret Chamber, which is fantastic for Provinces. Maybe I should have had more Bishops as well, but I overall did okay. Maybe turning Estates into Secret Chambers or Bishops was a winning move. I don't know, it seemed slow to me, but maybe it was the right call. I'll leave that to the experts who will reveal some obvious combo I of course missed. It could be Coppersmith. I mean, that's not a bad card here either! You can Haven a card to use next turn too, I missed that. There's a whole lot I missed here in general.
Obviously it's a procession begger- coppersmith game. With a draw of proccesion proccesion begger coppersmith copper you can get 21 coins.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 10:54:08 pm »

You're trolling, right? :p There's no +buy.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 11:09:31 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160625/log.0.1466823876309.txt

Alms, Courtyard, Secret Chamber, Masterpiece, Envoy, Port, Trader, Tactician, Torturer, Hoard, Forge
Interesting game. I opted to go for the Torturer thing and go into Secret Chamber Double Tac, and my opponent opens a strange Port Envoy, and it works out for him in the weirdest way possible. I get some bad shuffles so I don't get to see my Torturers until later, and by then he's about where I am at. We both Forge and thin down, and I think he is winning at this point. He's drawing his entire deck, I'm not quite there yet, but I get the Tactician preemptively anyways. For some reason he does not go for the second Tactician but instead starts greening, and that was when I knew I probably just had the win. He played badly, but it was still relatively close, which makes me wonder if I played well at all.

I was behind only 13 points on my last turn, and I got to drawing my deck. I could simply Forge Tac and Silver into Province along with the last Curse, buy Province and Alms Estate. I had the win in hand. He resigned after Torturer inactivity which makes me think he was busy, which was too bad, but oh well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:11:21 pm by Seprix »

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 11:15:56 pm »
+1

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160625/log.0.1466823876309.txt

Alms, Courtyard, Secret Chamber, Masterpiece, Envoy, Port, Trader, Tactician, Torturer, Hoard, Forge
Interesting game. I opted to go for the Torturer thing and go into Secret Chamber Double Tac, and my opponent opens a strange Port Envoy, and it works out for him in the weirdest way possible. I get some bad shuffles so I don't get to see my Torturers until later, and by then he's about where I am at. We both Forge and thin down, and I think he is winning at this point. He's drawing his entire deck, I'm not quite there yet, but I get the Tactician preemptively anyways. For some reason he does not go for the second Tactician but instead starts greening, and that was when I knew I probably just had the win. He played badly, but it was still relatively close, which makes me wonder if I played well at all.

I was behind only 13 points on my last turn, and I got to drawing my deck. I could simply Forge Tac and Silver into Province along with the last Curse, buy Province and Alms Estate. I had the win in hand. He resigned after Torturer inactivity which makes me think he was busy, which was too bad, but oh well.
Envoy draws 4 cards which is more than three and forge hard counters torturer. I think the main reson you want tacticion is +buy but I think you will have a slim enough deck that doesn't have 16 extra cards to discard/enough draw to discard things twice. Forge really leans be towards a single province deck that Mills 1-2 provinces per turn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »

I got Tac more for the buy than anything else. I wouldn't have bothered with it otherwise.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 12:46:30 am »
+1

In that kingdom you can just get 1 forge, forge all junk, then mill provinces while buying them. Tac seems way to slow.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 01:43:35 pm »

In that kingdom you can just get 1 forge, forge all junk, then mill provinces while buying them. Tac seems way to slow.

He was still buying multiple Provinces a turn, so I don't know if I would have won doing that.

vsiewnar

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +296
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 02:01:55 pm »
+2

In this game, his Steward/Steward left him significantly behind on trashing, so I like a Bishop golden deck to close out the game.

I overlooked the Bishop golden deck here. By the time Seprix set it up, I was too far behind to do anything reasonable. I was actually going for the Explorer into Gold/Bishop trash Gold thing from the start.

However, what do you mean by 'significantly behind on trashing'? Is it because the Steward missed the shuffle? Asking here to learn something.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »

I overlooked the Bishop golden deck here. By the time Seprix set it up, I was too far behind to do anything reasonable. I was actually going for the Explorer into Gold/Bishop trash Gold thing from the start.

However, what do you mean by 'significantly behind on trashing'? Is it because the Steward missed the shuffle? Asking here to learn something.

I thinned a card before I even shuffled for the first time, and your Steward also missed the shuffle. I don't know why, but you thinned down less than I did, perhaps because you were buying things as well.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 11:38:06 am »

This game pissed me off.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160628/log.0.1467128098106.txt

Duchess, Ambassador, Coppersmith, Cultist, Stash, Storyteller, Venture, Wine Merchant, Harem, Prince
We split the Ruins and I have a decent chance of winning. He buys Prince, and I guess that's not terrible since there are Ruins, which I failed to see at the time. However, he hits the best possible card, Ambassador, so I am just lost. It's how the game goes, but I am curious how a Cultist/Ambassador game should play out, and I think I should have gotten Prince as well, or was that too much of a long shot?

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 04:54:43 pm »
+2

If you skip ambassador at the start you can't go back to it later even with bad draws. Stick to cultists and try to win with bulk treasures. That's still going to leave some decisions during the game about harems (probably) and whether you want to play a shorter game (probably) using cultists and ruins as two of the empty piles.

dedicateddan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 06:05:28 am »
+6

Plan/Steward leaves a 10 card deck with 1 terminal
On T3/T4 the deck trashes two cards, picks up a lighthouse and another card (possible steward trashing another estate)

Steward/Steward leaves a 12 card deck with 2 terminals
Best case is trashing with steward on t3 and t4
The worst case scenarios are pretty bad (stewards colliding, missing the shuffle, or both)

Plan/Steward is slightly better than the best case for Steward/Steward (since you get a clean shuffle)
In this case removing a card (plan) leads to getting thin faster than adding a card (steward)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:11 am »
+4

The worst case scenarios are pretty bad (stewards colliding, missing the shuffle, or both)

Plan/Steward is slightly better than the best case for Steward/Steward (since you get a clean shuffle)
In this case removing a card (plan) leads to getting thin faster than adding a card (steward)

Planning to avoid the worst case is phenomenal.  This advice is golden and clearly shows why one path is better than the other.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 10:57:46 am »

Plan Steward does about the same amount of trashing as Steward/Steward, if not more in the long term, since you can pick up a village, etc.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 05:04:36 pm »

All the games I played today:

I pretty much want to review all of them. I did not play very well at all.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »

I have a lot of Kingdoms to share today. I will share this one first:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467313698959.txt

Raid, Hermit, Ironmonger, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Spy, Highway, Rebuild, Torturer, Harem, Hoard
I went for Rebuild, opponent went for the engine. I started really regretting my Rebuild decision around T11 or so, but I'm very very sure my opponent misplayed. He should have gotten more Hermits and Highways sooner. He took too long. Because of that, I capitalized and won. However, I am certain the engine here is just better, especially with the Curses flying around. I was watching what he was opening, and if he opened Sea Hag I would have gone for the Engine instead. He did not, so I opted for Rebuild, even though I was not so sure.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467307598702.txt

Seaway, Pathfinding, Ambassador, Advisor, Transmogrify, Counterfeit, Laboratory, Mystic, Royal Seal, Hireling, Expand, King's Court
In this game, I got steamrolled. I'm positive I made so many stupid mistakes, so I will catalogue this here to look at later.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 03:36:17 pm »

Last game I have catalogued for now.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467308196096.txt

Save, Pilgrimage, Vagrant, Transmogrify, Artificer, Counterfeit, Rebuild, Soothsayer, Treasury, Venture, Farmland, Peddler
I remember being so dumb with forgetting Save so many times. I had the right strategy, but I think I could have won this much quicker if I didn't play so hastily. Turn 14 is very fast to end the game with, and I think I could have done better.

dedicateddan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

I have a lot of Kingdoms to share today. I will share this one first:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467313698959.txt

Raid, Hermit, Ironmonger, Moneylender, Sea Hag, Spy, Highway, Rebuild, Torturer, Harem, Hoard
I went for Rebuild, opponent went for the engine. I started really regretting my Rebuild decision around T11 or so, but I'm very very sure my opponent misplayed. He should have gotten more Hermits and Highways sooner. He took too long. Because of that, I capitalized and won. However, I am certain the engine here is just better, especially with the Curses flying around. I was watching what he was opening, and if he opened Sea Hag I would have gone for the Engine instead. He did not, so I opted for Rebuild, even though I was not so sure.

Hermit/highway with ironmonger/torturer support beats rebuild here (full engine)

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »
+2

Last game I have catalogued for now.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467308196096.txt

Save, Pilgrimage, Vagrant, Transmogrify, Artificer, Counterfeit, Rebuild, Soothsayer, Treasury, Venture, Farmland, Peddler
I remember being so dumb with forgetting Save so many times. I had the right strategy, but I think I could have won this much quicker if I didn't play so hastily. Turn 14 is very fast to end the game with, and I think I could have done better.

Something fun to try out here, that probably never works, is using Artificer to top deck an Estate and immediately rebuilding it into a Duchy. It probably isn't worth it, but I have *always* wanted to try this.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:17 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160707/log.0.1467910925390.txt

Wishing Well, Bishop, Mining Village, Nomad Camp, Procession, Scavenger, Walled Village, Baker, Inn, Tactician
Very tense game. I wanted to win the Baker split, as that would allow me a lot more flexibility. We ended up splitting them. My opponent first went for Procession (which I should have done), and then proceeds to go for a Double Tac engine. I think he also misplayed here. There's the objection that you could simply go and pick up Scavengers and Inns for virtual coin, but that is so slow. If I had won the Baker split 6/4, I would have gone with a Bishop double Tac Golden deck, which was the plan.

As it stands, I did not win the split. So my plan became to just speed up to the finish line before it was too late. My opponent opted to go for Gold trashing, which was a viable strategy. He also stocked up on Mining Villages, which allowed him to triple Province eventually, snagging the win. However, he misplayed. Instead of continuing what he was doing, he instead opted to buy double Gold, losing all of his tokens, preventing him from punishing my taking the 4th Province with a forced win. Because of this, I ended up being able to snag the next two Provinces on the very next turn, denying him the win.

I feel like I misplayed though. I could have done the same strategy as him with my slight lead, and it would have been a guaranteed win instead of a win off of his misplay.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:13:38 pm by Seprix »

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 03:30:14 pm »
+1

This deck takes a while to assemble so you can't go off the plan buying stuff like silver. Speed in development could instead come from better use of procession, using gained cards in the same turn. This fits with a general assessment that one big tactician turn will get more out of these actions than two single turns, so you can get the core deck components a bit earlier and look for processions to gain the rest as you go along.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 01:54:32 am »
+1

Something fun to try out here, that probably never works, is using Artificer to top deck an Estate and immediately rebuilding it into a Duchy. It probably isn't worth it, but I have *always* wanted to try this.

Adam has theorycrafted this once. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth it. If Artificer doesn't collide with Rebuild you are always guaranteed a Duchy. If it does, you can gain an Estate to Rebuild it. So the first play of Artificer always makes up for the 1 Duchy you could have bought.

Is it worth not having another Rebuild, or having to topdeck a Duchy in the former case? Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

smcrtorchs

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:24 am »
+1

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160707/log.0.1467910925390.txt

Wishing Well, Bishop, Mining Village, Nomad Camp, Procession, Scavenger, Walled Village, Baker, Inn, Tactician
Very tense game. I wanted to win the Baker split, as that would allow me a lot more flexibility. We ended up splitting them. My opponent first went for Procession (which I should have done), and then proceeds to go for a Double Tac engine. I think he also misplayed here. There's the objection that you could simply go and pick up Scavengers and Inns for virtual coin, but that is so slow. If I had won the Baker split 6/4, I would have gone with a Bishop double Tac Golden deck, which was the plan.

As it stands, I did not win the split. So my plan became to just speed up to the finish line before it was too late. My opponent opted to go for Gold trashing, which was a viable strategy. He also stocked up on Mining Villages, which allowed him to triple Province eventually, snagging the win. However, he misplayed. Instead of continuing what he was doing, he instead opted to buy double Gold, losing all of his tokens, preventing him from punishing my taking the 4th Province with a forced win. Because of this, I ended up being able to snag the next two Provinces on the very next turn, denying him the win.

I feel like I misplayed though. I could have done the same strategy as him with my slight lead, and it would have been a guaranteed win instead of a win off of his misplay.

This looks like a double tac.

Your payload should be processing 2 bishops per turn, killing 2 inns and 2 coppers, while you gain 2 inns and rebuy the 2 bishops at the end of the turn. This is 8 points per turn for as long as the bishops are available. Then you can switch to provinces. An early bishop does not look good here as it also helps opp. The baker split is nice, but I would go for the same deck anyway.

Here is a log if you are interested. I gave the board a few tries, first I got 10 bakers, then in the second I believe I made some silly mistakes, then i thought what am I doing with the bishops and it struck me. In the log I bought only 5 bakers and did not trash to any of the bot's bishop plays to simulate human conditions as much as possible.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160708/log.0.1467963493987.txt

The points tally could be 4 points higher, had I not forgotten to process the bishop last turn. I am also not claiming that this is an optimal solution, just what I managed to come up with.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:54 pm »
+1

Impressive. Procession is truly the highest skill card in Dominion. No debate.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:32 pm »

I thought that was rebuild.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:48 pm »

Not really. Rebuild is up there, but Procession can seriously make a horrible looking engine work and quickly.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 12:31:02 am »
+1

Not really. Rebuild is up there, but Procession can seriously make a horrible looking engine work and quickly.
But, but rebuild is rebuild.

SearingSpear92

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 06:53:21 am »
+2

First, I think that was a really difficult board to play, and hardly anyone would have played either of our strategies optimally the first time. Looking back, getting to triple province would have been great, but it wasn't really on my mind at the time. Sure, I could have managed my coin tokens better, but $24 seemed so far off. I was definitely thinking about getting the last 2 provinces by cashing in the mining villages, but you never let that happen. The main reason I got the mining villages was because I needed the actions. If I was working toward triple province, I would have needed to get hardly any golds because even when I was buying gold + mining village that was taking about all the money I could produce in one turn, so my coin tokens were already dwindling, not increasing. In my mind, I wanted to bishop 2 golds per turn, and make up my points deficit before you could end it on provinces. I was desperately trying to catch up on points the whole time. I think it could have worked, but I should have tracked your deck better to realize I had less time than I thought. I think you played it well, getting the double province exactly when you did to put it out of reach for me. Also, I think I could have done more with procession but I felt pressure to get the bakers quickly because I knew you were going for them hard. After they were out, I thought procession lost a lot of value because the only thing for 5 I could get was Inn, which wasn't very useful to me. The $4 virtual money cards were more important. But I've always struggled with procession.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2016, 01:42:16 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160710/log.0.1468172375808.txt

Caravan Guard, Doctor, Oracle, Bridge, Pirate Ship, Procession, Contraband, Distant Lands, Haunted Woods, Venture
I decided to go for a crazy Bridge Procession into Distant Lands and Ventures to go for a rush in points. It worked out very well for me. My opponent started to catch up, but it was just too late for him I think. Not even sure there's a better strategy on this board. Winning the Distant Lands split makes it really hard to come back.

I had the equivalent of 4 Provinces in VP on T14, 24 points.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:43:54 pm by Seprix »

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »
+3

That was one good doctor.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2016, 07:03:47 pm »

That was one good doctor.

It really was a fantastic Doctor. It probably helped a lot.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 12:50:19 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160717/log.0.1468773830300.txt

Doctor, Familiar, Ironworks, Magpie, Talisman, Cartographer, Hunting Party, Royal Carriage, Harem, Forge
Wow, this game was crazy. I don't think I played particularly well in the beginning. I didn't get Forge, when I should have over the first Province. But I really did get sunk into a hole at first. My opponent opened Magpie/Silver, which may have been better than Potion/Silver. It probably was. My Potion was on the bottom, so I didn't get Familiar until the third shuffle, and it was on the bottom. So, I got to play my first Familiar on T8. Thankfully, I had a Royal Carriage by then, so I didn't even bother to buy more Familiars. I didn't even have time to do so.

I got Forge the turn before the last, which should have been much much sooner. Buying Ironworks early on was another poor decision. I wanted to get into the Magpies, but that never materialized for me. Anyways, I somehow won this game despite poor play and bad shuffles. It goes to show that getting all 10 Curses in your deck is really really bad. If my opponent contested Familiars (as she should have), I would have likely been sunk.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 02:01:10 pm »
+1

There's a solid strategy here with magpie-hunting party-forge which should be able to trash curses then forge magpies into provinces later. Your opponent tracks her deck well and spots a good overpay on doctor but should probably still take a forge. As for your deck, you should be getting the income to buy familiars, hunting parties and the forge instead of the early doctor and royal carriage.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2016, 02:11:52 pm »

There's a solid strategy here with magpie-hunting party-forge which should be able to trash curses then forge magpies into provinces later. Your opponent tracks her deck well and spots a good overpay on doctor but should probably still take a forge. As for your deck, you should be getting the income to buy familiars, hunting parties and the forge instead of the early doctor and royal carriage.

You are right. Royal Carriage was a poor buy, as was Doctor. I was planning to do the Magpie/Forge thing, but that never materialized. I played really badly on this board. I wish I had a redo.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 12:12:07 pm »

Summon, Raze, Fortune Teller, Guide, Trade Route, Coppersmith, Duplicate, Magpie, Cultist, Storyteller, Torturer
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160721/log.0.1469117376543.txt

His opening was terrible, right? I just lost because of bad shuffles, right? There's just no way what he was doing was right. I didn't even get a Single Cultist in until T9, and by then I had all but 2 Ruins in my deck.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2016, 01:03:58 pm »
+1

Your luck was indeed atrocious in that game, but I don't think anything he did was all that unreasonable. Magpie and Raze open will cycle very quickly, produce enough economy early for multiple Cultist buys, and get those Estates out of the way early. Ignoring a non terminal cycling Trasher on a Cultist board is a mistake.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2016, 01:08:04 pm »

Your luck was indeed atrocious in that game, but I don't think anything he did was all that unreasonable. Magpie and Raze open will cycle very quickly, produce enough economy early for multiple Cultist buys, and get those Estates out of the way early. Ignoring a non terminal cycling Trasher on a Cultist board is a mistake.

Maybe, but it's a dead card when you draw it with Cultist.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
+1

That's okay; you still got to play your Cultist. Also, when the Ruins are gone or nearly so, you can Summon Raze/Guide/Magpie for another action next turn, which means Cultist's draw is no longer dead.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:14:24 pm by singletee »

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:03 pm »

If it trashes literally one card, and then you constantly draw it with Cultist for the rest of the game, you broke even (opportunity cost of missing a Silver notwithstanding). It's pretty reasonable to expect you'll get to trash at least two cards with Raze.

Plus late game, you'll trash Cultist, draw 3 cards, then any one of the next five. Makes spiking Province much easier.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »

Another game I should have easily lost, but won:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160721/log.0.1469123186921.txt

Native Village, Alchemist, Port, Trader, Walled Village, Merchant Guild, Outpost, Venture, Grand Market, Expand
Clearly, you go and win the Alchemist split, and then you can go from there. I decided to open Potion/Native Village to thin a bit. It was probably stupid, but I didn't want to go and buy Silver. My economy was going to come from GM and Merchant Guild. However, that didn't really pan out. I didn't hit $4, so I couldn't get Trader to thin quicker, and it spiraled out of control. I guess Silver/Potion was a better buy. Anyways, my opponent decided to trash his Potion (don't know why), and then he left a forced win sitting out, instead opting to grab more points. I took advantage of that, bought tons of Copper in a desperate attempt to get Coin Tokens for my Outpost turn, and I stole the win.

Morale of the story: Take the forced win!

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 02:37:34 pm »
+3

I would probably open Silver just to give myself a better chance of drawing $3 with my Potion.  We've had this discussion more with Familiar, but Native Village is atrocious at helping you hit $3P.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 06:33:40 pm »

Holy cow, I played some awesome Kingdoms. Some of the most fun Kingdoms I have ever played for sure.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160721/log.0.1469140166349.txt

Borrow, Dungeon, Lookout, Wishing Well, Fortress, Island, Miser, Remake, Distant Lands, Mystic, Rogue
Check out that Fortress/Remake synergy there alongside Lookout. If I ever need draw and I know my Fortress is on top, I can simply trash it to put it into my hand. Not to mention there's Distant Lands, Duchy and Mystic as great $5 costs for trashing Fortress. One of the best Kingdoms I have ever played.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160721/log.0.1469137955852.txt

Bonfire, Peasant, Fortune Teller, Tunnel, Baron, Bishop, Envoy, Ironworks, Remodel, Vault, Possession
This game was incredibly weird. I'm certain I did not play the beginning all that well, but I transitioned decently enough I think. I ended up destroying him with Possession. Even if Possession were not on the board, I would have won this easily. Even on weak engine boards, you cannot ignore Peasant that often.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 08:02:02 pm »
+1

In that first game there's a 'golden deck' you can quickly make with remake, fortress x 2, wishing well that can gain and play two distant lands per turn. There may be some other fancy things you can do after that too. If you open remake/lookout, trash coppers with the lookout and remake estates into wishing wells.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:28 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160722/log.0.1469148850632.txt

Save, Transmute, Duchess, Develop, Storeroom, Warehouse, Alchemist, Ironmonger, Band of Misfits, Mandarin, Royal Seal

The game where I actually got Transmute. And used it. And made it work.

This was a standard get-all-the-Alchemists game. We split 5/5, and both had nearly identical decks. Because of Duchess, I was perfectly okay with getting a Transmute for emergency Duchy gaining (along with an extra Gold!), and sacked the Develop I had in order to do so. Dmet copied me and we ended up with a tie.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:11:39 pm by Seprix »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:03 pm »

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160722/log.0.1469208229419.txt

Goko Salvager is currently down, so I can't post a Kingdom setting. I basically went for the Urchin/Mercenary to complement Jack on a Shelters board against pure Jack. It worked out very well for me. I figured JoaT would love discard attacks, but that it would hurt more than it helped when Jack was not in his hand.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2016, 02:45:36 pm »

I think if you're doing both Mercenary and Jack, you only want one Jack. I'd also consider a pivot to a Lab engine that plays Jack and Mercenary every turn and just buys a Province all the time? Maybe there aren't enough $5 buys for that, idk. But you can skip Gold that way.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2016, 02:50:48 pm »

I think if you're doing both Mercenary and Jack, you only want one Jack. I'd also consider a pivot to a Lab engine that plays Jack and Mercenary every turn and just buys a Province all the time? Maybe there aren't enough $5 buys for that, idk. But you can skip Gold that way.

I didn't want to skip Gold. I got free Golds from Hoard and Farmland was on that board too.  :P

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2016, 11:20:12 am »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2016, 11:45:21 am »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160826/log.0.1472175400979.txt

Summon, Armory, Fortress, Remake, Wandering Minstrel, Council Room, Junk Dealer, Merchant Guild, Fairgrounds, Nobles, Forge
I probably made tons of mistakes in this game, but my plan was good enough, I think. The problem was, Tracer may have found an even better plan. Whose plan was better? Did I execute poorly? Should I have built up like a crazy person instead of simply rushing with Fortress/Forge?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2016, 12:02:08 pm »
+1

Yeah, if you decide not to go Fairgrounds on a board like that where basically every card is good, you need to be prepared to take 8 Provinces.

He kind of telegraphed his megaturn by getting all the Coin tokens a few turns in advance, so I hope you saw what was coming.

Tough to say what to do differently other than doing what he did instead of what you did.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2016, 12:04:13 pm »

Yeah, if you decide not to go Fairgrounds on a board like that where basically every card is good, you need to be prepared to take 8 Provinces.

He kind of telegraphed his megaturn by getting all the Coin tokens a few turns in advance, so I hope you saw what was coming.

Tough to say what to do differently other than doing what he did instead of what you did.

I saw what he was doing, and there was very little I could have done. I should have Provinced more that first turn after he did that, assuming and hoping he stalled, I suppose. If he could kick off, he would have basically won anyways.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 12:28:06 pm »
+1

You really want to have a bunch of remakes and remake fortresses into things I personally would go for merchant guild with a forge(To clear out coppers and gain provinces at the same time. Fairgrounds is a huge deal here worth easily 6 points.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2016, 12:36:51 pm »

You really want to have a bunch of remakes and remake fortresses into things I personally would go for merchant guild with a forge(To clear out coppers and gain provinces at the same time. Fairgrounds is a huge deal here worth easily 6 points.

Really? I want a bunch of Remakes? Hmm, if you say so. I mean, it was very fast work for Tracer.

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:43 pm »

Really? I want a bunch of Remakes? Hmm, if you say so. I mean, it was very fast work for Tracer.
Well make sure you can support them. But two 5 costs is really good especially with a remake path too points(primarily nobles and fairgrounds).

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2016, 12:53:58 pm »
+1

On your Turn 3 you could have Summon'd another Remake.  This would increase your trashing tempo and get you do the draw you deck stage faster.  You can always Remake one of them into a $5 if they collide.

Engine games like this can be won in the early/mid game by one person getting just a turn or two ahead in tempo.  By the end of the game that extra early tempo often turns into control of a potential 3-pile.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »

On your Turn 3 you could have Summon'd another Remake.  This would increase your trashing tempo and get you do the draw you deck stage faster.  You can always Remake one of them into a $5 if they collide.

Engine games like this can be won in the early/mid game by one person getting just a turn or two ahead in tempo.  By the end of the game that extra early tempo often turns into control of a potential 3-pile.

I'm happy. I thought about that. I almost did it. I opted for Armory because I wanted more Fortresses, but I did almost do the Remake.

DG

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2016, 01:22:43 pm »
+1

Trashing is very important here. Remaking estates into silvers is not cutting down the deck and is not fast enough on its own. Things you do to speed up trashing could include summoning the remake on turn 4, buying a junk dealer on turn 4, trashing coppers with the remake before trashing estates, or even opening remake/nothing.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

Trashing is very important here. Remaking estates into silvers is not cutting down the deck and is not fast enough on its own. Things you do to speed up trashing could include summoning the remake on turn 4, buying a junk dealer on turn 4, trashing coppers with the remake before trashing estates, or even opening remake/nothing.

I agree that trashing Estates into Silver does nothing basically. I used to just trash Coppers and not the Estates until later, and I lost that way, because my opponents had Silvers and I did not.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2016, 02:39:24 pm »
+1

You had a 3 pile win on turn 13 if you take 2 Remakes and 2 Fortresses with your Forges and Armory and then Remake Fortresses for 4 Merchant Guilds. On a board like this you should really think about the possibilities for emptying piles.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2016, 11:15:17 pm »

You had a 3 pile win on turn 13 if you take 2 Remakes and 2 Fortresses with your Forges and Armory and then Remake Fortresses for 4 Merchant Guilds. On a board like this you should really think about the possibilities for emptying piles.

Yeah, I'm sad I didn't see that. I need to find things like that. I need to get better at finding three piles.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.