Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective  (Read 2180 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:15:05 pm »

My wife and I are just playing this old classic and having a lot of fun.

We played case 1 and had no idea what we are doing, we didn't solve the case.
We then played case 2 immediately after that and it worked a lot better. We answered most answers correctly.
And now we just finished case 3 which we didn't solve mostly due to the fact that the main clue is in the newspaper of the previous case. We played with a guest and she couldn't have known it, but we also didn't remember the connection because case 2 was a week ago. We really disliked that. I hope something like that doesn't come up in upcoming games. But we still had a lot of fun and solved the side case which unfortunately wasn't asked about in the quiz, so we at least assume we solved it.

Has anyone played it? What are your experiences with it?

I'm right now imagining how cool Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective would be if you get evidence items or clues that give you markers (just like in Time Stories) which unlocks that you can investigate a person a second time or stuff like that.

Now we are also interested "Watson & Holmes: From the Diaries of 221B" which seems to be similar. Does anyone know about that game?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:37:55 pm »

My friend brought over his copy. He had already played the first story so he read things to us while we solved it. We got 90 points, which was the highest he's seen (he played it once and "ran" it twice).

I'm grateful for the free leads, because I was frowning a lot when we go visit a residence and learn the person of interest was somewhere else. I stopped frowning when I learned we didn't waste a lead on that.

It was pretty neat. We forgot about the universal leads, but we still figured it out. Reading the paper certainly helped.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:01:30 pm »

I think I played this twice, and I really liked it.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 05:47:11 am »

This came up in a search I ran for Solitaire Games (because I'm a sad bastard), and I must admit I kind of skipped over it. It seems to me that once you've done a particular case, it wouldn't have a lot of replayability.

Is that one attempt worthwhile?

Or did I completely miss the point and it's more of a one-off "experience" than a traditional game?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 06:14:21 am »

You're right, you can't replay it. But there are 10 cases and each take at least 2 hours to play (in singleplayer maybe less I don't know) because we take time to take notes, etc.
So that's 20 hours of a enjoyable experience for a low price and you can even resell it later if you want to. So I think it's worth it.

We played now case 4 with the code and we thought we had no clue but answering the quiz we had most questions correct. I liked that solving the code isn't necessary to solve the case because we solved the first part of the code which was very easy, but had troubles with the second part which I found very convoluted.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:16:52 am by Qvist »

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:50:20 am »

So that's 20 hours of a enjoyable experience for a low price
That's a pretty good way of thinking about it. I'll take a closer look, then.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:03:56 am »

So that's 20 hours of a enjoyable experience for a low price
That's a pretty good way of thinking about it. I'll take a closer look, then.

Yeah, it’s a fun experience, and thinking about it in those terms should make it more appealing.

I view it as a combination of Choose Your Own Adventure and a large puzzle book. When you visit specific locations, you are treated to a narrative of what happened, which is likely full of some sort of clue. You’ll want to jot down notes so that you can keep the information together. And at some point you likely will be poring over the London directory (thankfully not as large as the real one) and the newspapers. You may be able to connect the dots using these. When I played, our friend read the narrative and an offhanded remark was made by a character. My wife, who was absorbing the newspaper, said, “Oh really?” and immediately pointed to an entry that led us to a possible suspect.

If you’re doing this solo, I could see this being something you have sitting out next to your computer so that you could just turn your attention to it for 10 minutes and see if anything clicks.

I heard that the original game had you track how much time it took to travel to each lead, but that was needlessly complex. Despite us not needing to track time to solve the case, one guy kept protesting possible leads because they’d take us across the city. Since the score only cared about the number of leads you exhausted, I was not so worried about travel time. Our detectives would have had really sore feet.
A man has no signature

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 05:38:43 am »

It sounds pretty engrossing without being needlessly complex.

Thanks for the overview, chaps.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.