Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Clarification on 2017/2018 pricing??  (Read 27811 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification on 2017/2018 pricing??
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 07:34:45 pm »

Has there been an explanation what's wrong with the following model:

- Pay a subscription fee
- When a new expansion is added: pay a one time fee for the additional expansion
- Continue pay same subscription fee

I guess it's probably more difficult for newer members.

Either way, I'll be paying. I love dominion. I love what Donald has given us. I love that ShuffleIt is offering a year for free, even though they didn't see any of the money I offered MF. It sucks, but sunk costs are sunk costs. I am glad they are doing what they are doing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:39:20 pm by AdrianHealey »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2016, 07:59:47 pm »

- Pay a subscription fee
- When a new expansion is added: pay a one time fee for the additional expansion
So, the one time fee is for a lifetime of that extra expansion? Neither publisher has rights that last that long.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2016, 08:26:03 pm »

- Pay a subscription fee
So, the one time fee is for a lifetime of that extra expansion? Neither publisher has rights that last that long.

Here's a solution that will please everyone: self-destructing expansions.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »

- Pay a subscription fee

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »
+3

- Pay a subscription fee

Here's a solution that will please everyone: self-destructing expansions.

Cards that, when trashed, are actually gone forever!

wujeklew

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2016, 08:07:27 am »
+1

I have a question:
Now I have only two expansion: Prosperity, Seaside. What will happen if I now buy subscription through December 31? I will lose Prosperity and Seaside and in 2017 I will must buy new subscription or I will still have choice between offline – online version?
And second question?
Now I will sign up and buy one small expansion. On 2017 will I can choose full 2017 subscription?

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2016, 08:30:17 am »
+1

I have a question:
Now I have only two expansion: Prosperity, Seaside. What will happen if I now buy subscription through December 31? I will lose Prosperity and Seaside and in 2017 I will must buy new subscription or I will still have choice between offline – online version?

You will still have Prosperity and Seaside for 2017, but not any of the other expansions (you'd need to pay to get those).

And second question?
Now I will sign up and buy one small expansion. On 2017 will I can choose full 2017 subscription?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the free subscription you'd get would be till the end of 2017 for precisely those expansions you bought before the first of January 2017 (not including the subscription MF is currently offering).

If you want the full subscription with all the expansions for 2017 but do not own all the expansions come the new year, you can pay an additional fee that is less than the full price to get them all.

madeintw

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2016, 10:09:05 pm »

I've searched and couldn't come up with the answer to this; kindly do direct me to the proper thread if you already know.

I currently own Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity and want to continue to be able to play against other players.

When will the option be made to choose 1 Free Year of Online or Perma-Offline?
Need I login on December 31st precisely to decide, or will there be a certain time window to make my choices?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2016, 01:28:36 am »
+3

I've searched and couldn't come up with the answer to this; kindly do direct me to the proper thread if you already know.

I currently own Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity and want to continue to be able to play against other players.

When will the option be made to choose 1 Free Year of Online or Perma-Offline?
Need I login on December 31st precisely to decide, or will there be a certain time window to make my choices?
It will be no earlier than right near the end, because people could conceivably buy in near the end, and it's easier to not have to have the data sent between MF and uh the other guys multiple times. I don't see the beauty of forcing you to make the decision in a timely fashion though so I don't think you will be forced to.

madeintw

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:17 pm »

Thank you. That makes sense.

NolanA

• Salvager
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »
+1

I'm a relatively new Dominion player.  I am ready to get my first expansion, probably Intrigue.  I will likely be interested in getting another expansion or two before the end of the year.  It sounds like the timing of getting expansions is not optimal with the switch from MF.  As I understand it, if I buy Intrigue, I will have it until the end of the year on MF.  At the end of the year, I'll be given the choice to either keep it permanently offline, or have it online for 1 additional year with no cost to play online for that year.  If I choose online, then at the end of the year, I'll need to switch to a tiered subscription model, with prices on the order of $2 or $3 per month.   At the time I make the decision between online and offline, I'll have additional information from the forum to help choose, such as the quality of the offline bots (hopefully, they'll include some better players than the bots at MF) and how easy it is to find a desired game online. Is that correct?

In my opinion, one of the things that makes online Dominion most enjoyable is the large number of active players. I can play a game on any day at any time, usually with someone who has a reasonably compatible rating.  In addition to being a great game, one of the key reasons why there are hundreds of players at any given time, is there is an option to play for free (base set only).  This makes it easy for people to try out the game.  If I have a game playing friend who is not familiar with Dominion, there is a good chance they'll try it out, if I recommend the game. We'll end up playing a few enjoyable games through the challenge feature.  However, if all players must pay a subscription, my game playing friends almost certainly will not try the game.  Similarly I would not have discovered the game if my initial play required a subscription, and would not be looking at getting expansions today.   So I'd be strongly in favor of a  business model that had some way for people to play for free.  This might include only having access to the base set, having advertisements, not having access to special features (examples could include things like subscribers have more control in who to play against, are able to choose custom rules for games, have special game log/stat/review features, have more customizable avatars, can unlock special bots after reaching level of achievement, can unlock special card(s) that do not appear in any boxed sets after reaching level of achievement, special tournaments, etc.), not having access to additional online games, or not having countless other subscription benefits.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:13:29 am by NolanA »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2016, 12:05:54 pm »
+1

I'm a relatively new Dominion player.  I am ready to get my first expansion, probably Intrigue.  I will likely be interested in getting another expansion or two before the end of the year.  It sounds like the timing of getting expansions is not optimal with the switch from MF.  As I understand it, if I buy Intrigue, I will have it until the end of the year on MF.  At the end of the year, I'll be given the choice to either keep it permanently offline, or have it online for 1 additional year with no cost to play online for that year.  If I choose online, then at the end of the year, I'll need to switch to a tiered subscription model, with prices on the order of $2 or $3 per month.   At the time I make the decision between online and offline, I'll have additional information from the forum to help choose, such as the quality of the offline bots (hopefully, they'll include some better players than the bots at MF) and how easy it is to find a desired game online. Is that correct?
Yes, but note that you can instead get a subscription on MF now.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 03:51:37 am »
+1

I don't understand. Imagine you're paying for a gym membership. The gym adds another location down the street, offering a small fee to allow you to use both gyms or the same fee to keep using the one gym. Would you be so angry that the other gym isn't given to you for free, that you would quit using the original gym? Even though neither the price nor the product changed? I don't understand this.

I suppose some people are seeing it a different way... They're paying for a gym membership. The gym buys a new machine. They want to use this machine, but then the gym tells them that they'll have to pay more to get access to it. It feels like they're just trying to milk more money out of a customer.

I'm not saying I agree with this sentiment, but I understand it. People hate price increases. They would probably be happier if you just charge the slightly higher price from the start.

In this case, the gym won't increase the price.... at first.  If later on they see that a combo of these extra improvements and equipment isn't maintainable, they'll find other ways to make up... put off new projects, cut some employee hours, raise the prices in other areas like extra services, concessions/drinks, or offer less services while keeping the same price.

As a last resort, they'll increase prices since that tends to be the most noticeable.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.