Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality  (Read 15907 times)

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
+3

Just wanted to ask if someone here has read it.

If not, allow me to give you an introduction:

Hpmor is covering an alternate universe where Petunia (Harrys aunt) is married to an oxford professor. Therefore, Harry is used to the scientific method, mathematics and physics before getting his letter. He is much more interested in the fundamentels of magic and the protagonist (and antagonist) are much more intelligent.

The fanfiction is written by an American scientist and is well-written and definetly interesting.

If you are interested, you can find the text/podcast right here:

http://hpmor.com/chapter/1
http://www.hpmorpodcast.com
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »

I have read it and liked it.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:02:54 pm »

Did you also read Significant Digits? (fanfic of that fanfic and also very recommendable)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:23:42 pm »

Did you also read Significant Digits? (fanfic of that fanfic and also very recommendable)
That one I did not know of. I have started reading it.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 02:35:43 pm »
+1

I read the first few chapters, at which point it started to get... boring?  Not sure if that's the right word.  Preachy and uninteresting perhaps?

Yudkowsky and his followers are... a very, very strange bunch.  Like, they have some interesting-but-impractical ideas, but the way they present themselves and their ideas makes you want to avoid the overwhelming smugness.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »

I read the first few chapters, at which point it started to get... boring?  Not sure if that's the right word.  Preachy and uninteresting perhaps?

Yudkowsky and his followers are... a very, very strange bunch.  Like, they have some interesting-but-impractical ideas, but the way they present themselves and their ideas makes you want to avoid the overwhelming smugness.
Up to which time did you read? Did you read of the first defense class ?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:41:31 pm »

I liked most of it. The war portions were boring. Pretty much everything involving Daphne too. Loved everything with Dumbledore and Quirrel.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »

I liked most of it. The war portions were boring. Pretty much everything involving Daphne too. Loved everything with Dumbledore and Quirrel.
Do you mean the defense class 'war' ?

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:46:37 pm »

I read it and liked it, then reread it and disliked it. It's fun but hardly "rational" at all.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:50:01 pm »

Yes. I guess I just didn't care for how the author (sorry, I don't want to butcher the spelling) writes action and I really wanted to get back to more of the philosophical and scientific sections of the story. I also listened to the entire text via the podcast up until the final arc, so it's possible the voice actors weren't selling it, but I suspect I would have zoned out during those parts regardless.

Please don't get me wrong; on the whole, it was one of my favorite Harry Potter fanfics, right up there with "The Lie I've Lived," the Alexandra Quick series, and "Ectomancer." My favorite section of it overall was the Azkaban break-in. The ending was pretty cool too, though I think the last bit with Hermione reconstructed felt a little silly.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:22:33 pm »

Yes. I guess I just didn't care for how the author (sorry, I don't want to butcher the spelling) writes action and I really wanted to get back to more of the philosophical and scientific sections of the story. I also listened to the entire text via the podcast up until the final arc, so it's possible the voice actors weren't selling it, but I suspect I would have zoned out during those parts regardless.

Please don't get me wrong; on the whole, it was one of my favorite Harry Potter fanfics, right up there with "The Lie I've Lived," the Alexandra Quick series, and "Ectomancer." My favorite section of it overall was the Azkaban break-in. The ending was pretty cool too, though I think the last bit with Hermione reconstructed felt a little silly.
I liked Askaban and Quirrel and Harry in the corridor, especially the description of the Wizarding war most as well. And those Harry Potter references (e.g. Goblet of fire, Sectumsempra, corridor, Voldemort being insanely stupid by not hiding his stuff right ,...) were just awesome and always worth a laughter.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 04:24:25 pm »

This sounds amazing. I will read it when the College or the Job don't own my soul.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 04:25:46 pm »

This sounds amazing. I will read it when the College or the Job don't own my soul.
:)

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »

I recommend the podcast version if that floats your boat! Listen to it while doing chores, walking/running, cooking, etc. It's a pretty heavy read, but the distinct voices and slower pace of listening helped me get into the story. I tried to pick it up just visually several years prior and couldn't get going.

http://www.hpmorpodcast.com/

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »

I recommend the podcast version if that floats your boat! Listen to it while doing chores, walking/running, cooking, etc. It's a pretty heavy read, but the distinct voices and slower pace of listening helped me get into the story. I tried to pick it up just visually several years prior and couldn't get going.

http://www.hpmorpodcast.com/
Linked in the OP as well, but i would recommend the podcast as well. I have never heard an audio book before but that one was just awesome.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
+1

Read it and enjoyed it, but not enough to read it again.  I liked the start more than the end, probably because it was still an amusing twist on Harry Potter.  The further the story progressed, the more it became the author's own wildly divergent creation with its own rules and quirks.  While that's not an objectively bad thing, it wasn't a world I particularly liked.  I was charmed by "rational" Harry interacting with and trying to make sense of a brand new magical world, and I was very much able to suspend disbelief and accept this ridiculously precocious 10 year old protagonist.  That slowly eroded as other characters in his year proved just as precocious; most of the kids didn't actually seem like kids.  I still liked it well enough, but the writing at the end felt a tad too clinical for my tastes.

IIRC, the best thing I got out of it was one of the Author's Notes that linked to Worm, one of my absolute favourite works of fiction.

If you liked HPMOR, you might also enjoy Harry Potter and the Natural 20.  The basic premise -- a D&D Wizard gets dropped into Harry Potter.  Word of warning, the author is on an extended hiatus (I think), with the last update was about 15 months ago, relatively early into the author's version of Prisoner of Azkaban.  If that bothers you, you could stop after the end of their Chamber of Secrets parallel and have enough closure.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 05:47:43 pm »

I have read HPMOR, and I enjoyed it vary much.  It's great to see a hero who is actually smart for once (not referring only to Harry Potter here, but to stories in general).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »

I have read HPMOR, and I enjoyed it vary much.  It's great to see a hero who is actually smart for once (not referring only to Harry Potter here, but to stories in general).

Have you read Worm?  That was actually the reason it was mentioned in HPMOR.  The protagonist and other characters are a lot smarter with their powers than in most superhero fiction.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 05:56:11 pm »
+1

It's great to see a hero who is actually smart for once (not referring only to Harry Potter here, but to stories in general).

Um.

You haven't read/watched much, I assume?

Literally just off the top of my head: Tony Stark, Veronica Mars, the main character of The Martian, and of Ancillary Justice, and Old Man's War.  The Doctor.  Jean-Luc Picard.  That's thirty seconds of thought.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »
+1

Come on, Kirian. No obligatory Picard picture? You have to post one when you mention Picard! That is one of the rules of the Internet.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
+2

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 06:26:15 pm »

I've read most of it and even enjoyed about 10 first chapters maybe, but the more I read the worse it became up to the point when I said to myself "cmon dude, you either do nothing at all or at least read something decent or maybe even AnotherNotSoGoodStephenKing'sBook would be better"

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 06:29:29 pm »

I've read most of it and even enjoyed about 10 first chapters maybe, but the more I read the worse it became up to the point when I said to myself "cmon dude, you either do nothing at all or at least read something decent or maybe even AnotherNotSoGoodStephenKing'sBook would be better"
The middle part is actually quite boring but the end is worth it absolutely...Starting at chapter 79, the rest is just awesome.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 06:30:57 pm »

Tony Stark

Debatable. :P

"I taught myself quantum and nuclear physics last night" isn't enough for you?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 06:38:11 pm »

This is hilarious!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.