Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: adventures tactics tips  (Read 3077 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
adventures tactics tips
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:57:43 am »
+5

hi everyone! this thread is for pointing out small things you can do during a game with Adventures cards that incrementally improve your odds of winning.

- Use Save on bad cards if you're about to reshuffle.

- If Plan and Peasant are both out, the trash token from Plan can prohibit Teacher from putting a +1 token on a critical pile. Mentally note to yourself that you need to move it some time around Disciple time (and in any event no later than when you get the Teacher on the mat).

- If Expedition and Mission are on the board, consider buying Mission whenever you want to buy Expedition: you can (almost) always buy the Expedition on your Mission turn, and you may be able to buy two Expeditions or get something useful done. (This is not automatic, because your next hand might be really good for buying things.)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: adventures tactics tips
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 06:12:29 am »
+3

- If Plan and Peasant are both out, the trash token from Plan can prohibit Teacher from putting a +1 token on a critical pile. Mentally note to yourself that you need to move it some time around Disciple time (and in any event no later than when you get the Teacher on the mat).

This is also true with Ferry. I learned that the hard way.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:19:18 am »
+2

This is also true with Ferry. I learned that the hard way.
With Ferry it is often correct to Ferry something, load up on it and then move your token when you get your teacher up.

Scouting party is really good.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 09:41:18 am »
+5

Putting too many Swamp Hags in play may allow your opponent to three-pile.

When you play Raze on Estate, the card you pick is the one you put in hand, not the one you discard.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:20 am »

Also, Ferry makes your opponent's cards cost less as well. Use strategically for Swindler (and similar trashing attacks).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »
+1

Ferry and Borrow make Rebuild and Cultist games even more degenerate, unless your opponent doesn't notice the combo.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:24:21 pm »

Noticed that last night... Overbought Planned Gear (note to self: 1 is good, 2 are good. 5 are too many), and then suddenly realized I couldn't +action it... And it was too late in the game to start rePlanning.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 05:40:02 pm »
+2

Plan / Anything opening guarantees that card won't miss the shuffle.

You can BoM anything less than $7 cost if you Ferry the target card's pile. BoM as Goons!

Remember that Ferry and trash-for-benefit interact, which can be a bad thing if you're trying to Apprentice expensive shit or whatever.

Play your Treasure before you buy Borrow or you'll just end up being a sad panda.

Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 11:03:01 pm »
+1

Never underestimate Treasure Trove. Ever.

Hireling is a fantastic card. It is often worth going for at least 2.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:42:30 am »
+3

You can BoM anything less than $7 cost if you Ferry the target card's pile. BoM as Goons!

Remember that Ferry and trash-for-benefit interact, which can be a bad thing if you're trying to Apprentice expensive shit or whatever.

On simiiar note: If you Ferry Border Village, you can only gain cards costing up to 3 with it.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »
+6

1. Alms requires that you have no treasures in play, this means buying Mint or gaining Mandarin can let you also Alms a card giving you a bonus $4 if you have a spare buy. For instance, a Margrave opening to trash Mint & Alms Remodel can go a long way very quickly.
2. It may be obvious, but Guide not only works with short hands from the Militia family (especially Gship) and Opost, it also works extremely well with trashing durations. Early game Guide/Amulet trashes a card which is the great "thin, but don't lose buying power" option ... without having to spend a $5. Late game, Transmogrify can go Duchy hunting (or Provinces with Peddlers, Plats, Princes, etc.) and then let you draw something better than green to kick off your turn.
3. There are a few options for tactical Quest openings. Save a card, then Quest the next turn. You can also Tfair up two curses, this is mostly useless but can be exceedingly strong in very rare cases where you can Tfair, Quest, and Alms something that likes to eat golds (e.g. Dev but also Smason).
4. Bonfire is nice for ridding your deck of problem cards. This is biggest with Possession (bonfire early Ambassadors or Masqs), but is also very useful for mandatory trashing if you have mandatory play going on (e.g. Tr engine, Golem, Herald).

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 01:14:35 pm »

On simiiar note: If you Ferry Border Village, you can only gain cards costing up to 3 with it.

And if you Ferry Catacombs, then trash it, you can only gain a card costing up to 2.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 01:28:11 pm »

And if you Ferry Catacombs, then trash it, you can only gain a card costing up to 2.

But if you Ferry Hunting Grounds, then trash it, you can still gain 3 Estates or 1 Duchy.

Am I doing it right?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 20 queries.