Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance, Throne Room, and self-trashing Actions  (Read 5648 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Inheritance, Throne Room, and self-trashing Actions
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:39:28 am »
+2

I inherited Feast.
What happens when I Throned Estates?
It is not an Action when I try to play Estates on the second time. Nothing happens? Or client freezes and I lose the game?

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance, Throne Room, and self-trashing Actions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:20:24 am »

I inherited Feast.
It is not an Action when I try to play Estates on the second time. Nothing happens? Or client freezes and I lose the game?
You can't trash in second play, but gain.

Throne Room (and co) remember what it plays; also if the Acton is not in play anymore.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:58:25 am »

I inherited Feast.
You can't trash in second play, but gain.

Throne Room (and co) remember what it plays; also if the Acton is not in play anymore.

Even though Throne Room remembers what it played, it just remembers the name, doesn't it? Does it remember the ability, too?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 11:21:55 am »

Based on the BoM ruling, I would assume they probably turn back into regular Estates, and would no longer have their Inherited powers. I could maybe see them becoming "yours" again briefly when your Throne Room plays it again though, so I think Donald will have to tell us what he thinks to be sure. I don't recall this being asked previously (or at least not since the BoM ruling).

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:33:20 am »

I always thought it tried playing the same card again, and if it couldn't find it (in play) that it would repeat what it did last time.

I don't know if that changes the BoM ruling.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:45:09 am »
+1

I always thought it tried playing the same card again, and if it couldn't find it (in play) that it would repeat what it did last time.

I don't know if that changes the BoM ruling.

What I thought is that the lose track rule prevents TR from moving the card in play from the trash, but it doesn't prevent it from looking at it to see what it does. So I think it doesn't memorize it, but rather it checks again every time it needs to play it. The question is, when it checks again, the Estate it finds is just a vanilla Estate or does the Estate become yours for an instant?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:00:35 pm »

So, Throne knows that the card is in the Trash, and plays it from there? Or just knows the card that it is playing, twice?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 01:02:54 pm »
+1

So, Throne knows that the card is in the Trash, and plays it from there? Or just knows the card that it is playing, twice?

It doesn't "know" that the card is in the trash, but it "knows" which card it's trying to play (wherever it is).

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »
+2

It doesn't "know" that the card is in the trash, but it "knows" which card it's trying to play (wherever it is).

I'm realizing that talking about what cards "know" or "remember" very often doesn't get us the right answer.

The card ability tells you, the player, to do something. Throne Room tells you to play the card again. You know which card it's talking about, and you know what its ability is. If it's Feast, then you do that. If it's Estate, well there's nothing to do. (I don't see how a card can become yours when it's in the trash.)

The only complication is the lose-track rule, which is very difficult to express without talking about abilities keeping track of cards. That only matters for moving cards though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:01:49 pm by Jeebus »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:44:43 pm »

The reason Band of Misfits works the way it does is because it does something when you play it but can't do it again if it's already in play. That's why if you teach it as Feast with Throne Room you get to change what card or is the second time. Throne Room isn't looking in the trash because it didn't put the Band of Misfits there. It just knows it played a Band of Misfits and is playing it again. Since that Band of Misfits isn't the card it was pretending to be the first time anymore (because it's in the trash) you get to choose again.

When you played the Estate-Feast with Throne Room, it was an Estate that said to trash it and gain a card costing up to $5. Throne Room plays it once, trashes it, and you gain a card costing up to $5. Throne Room then plays that Estate-Feast again because that's what it was when you choose to play it with Throne Room. It doesn't look into the trash because it didn't move the card there. It doesn't matter that it's not yours anymore because Throne Room already knew what to do.

That's my understanding anyway.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:31:02 pm »
+2

I inherited Feast.
I don't know about the client, but irl nothing happens the second time. That Estate doesn't do anything when played.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 05:21:28 pm »

I inherited Feast.
I don't know about the client, but irl nothing happens the second time. That Estate doesn't do anything when played.

But it does still get played, or does it try but fail to play it because it's not an action? For Conspirator, I would guess the second one doesn't count because even if it is played, it's not an action. Of course, either way if you play Conspirator after, it would be minimum the third action.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 06:15:27 pm »
+1

But it does still get played, or does it try but fail to play it because it's not an action? For Conspirator, I would guess the second one doesn't count because even if it is played, it's not an action. Of course, either way if you play Conspirator after, it would be minimum the third action.
Try but fail to play it as it's not an Action or Treasure.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 12:08:59 am »

What if you throned an Inherited BoM as Feast?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 12:27:01 am »

How are you going to get Feast to cost less than an Actiony Estate? Ferry+Quarry doesn't work since Quarry makes your Estate-BoM cost less too. But replace Feast with Embargo I guess. You'd play it as Embargo, it trashes itself. You try to play it again, it's a normal Estate in the trash so you can't play it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:29:50 am by singletee »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 12:29:43 am »

How are you going to get Feast to cost less than Estate? Ferry+Quarry doesn't work since Quarry makes your Estate-BoM cost less too. But replace Feast with Embargo I guess. You'd play it as Embargo, it trashes itself. You try to play it again, it's a normal Estate in the trash so you can't play it.

Ferry works fine, because you can always remove it later. Embargo probably works just as well though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 09:31:11 am »

How are you going to get Feast to cost less than Estate? Ferry+Quarry doesn't work since Quarry makes your Estate-BoM cost less too. But replace Feast with Embargo I guess. You'd play it as Embargo, it trashes itself. You try to play it again, it's a normal Estate in the trash so you can't play it.

Ferry works fine, because you can always remove it later. Embargo probably works just as well though.

No no, the problem isn't getting Inheritance to target BoM, it's getting your Inherited Estate to copy any card that isn't Poor House or a ferried card costing $3 or less. As far as I can tell an Estate that inherited BoM can never copy Feast.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:32 am »

No no, the problem isn't getting Inheritance to target BoM, it's getting your Inherited Estate to copy any card that isn't Poor House or a ferried card costing $3 or less. As far as I can tell an Estate that inherited BoM can never copy Feast.

Oh. Right.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.