Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: VP Counters and Resignations  (Read 11810 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: VP Counters and Resignations
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 05:47:10 pm »

Controversial opinion: Dominion is not very fun when you are losing by a lot (tempo, points, key engine components, whatever).

I don't think that's controversial at all. I can't think of any game that's fun if you're losing by a lot (and actually trying to win).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 05:47:33 pm »

Obv. ideally you have the option of continuing a won-by-resignation game vs. AI.

This.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 05:57:46 pm »
+7

Controversial opinion: Dominion is not very fun when you are losing by a lot (tempo, points, key engine components, whatever).

I don't think that's controversial at all. I can't think of any game that's fun if you're losing by a lot (and actually trying to win).
I always use Scrabble as an example. You can play Scrabble knowing the other person is going to crush you, before the initial tile draw, and yet still have fun, and, given you parenthetical, yes still be trying to win.

It is a key feature of Dominion, that it can be fun to play even when you know you're losing. All games should strive to be fun to lose, because most people lose most games.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 05:59:43 pm »
+2

I can enjoy watching a movie even though I know how it ends.

Spoiler: Dorothy makes it home.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 06:09:21 pm »
+1

I don't know about my resign rate, but my patience, and therefore my level of play, go significantly down when I'm losing.  It's probably the #1 area of my game that needs improving.

(And in case no one else has mentioned it yet in this thread, VP counts do not indicate who's winning or losing.)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »

I don't understand why finishing a game that you have already won would be fun.  You're just "winning more" now.  The only exception would be for something like achievements on old iso/CR.

Well, two things. First, some people resign very early, like a third to halfway through the game. Man I had a plan that game. I wanted to see if it would work. Second, sometimes it's fun to play out your deck. You built this deck, but then the game is over before you get to use it.

Basically it boils down to: you don't get to see your plans come to fruition (or fall apart, or whatever). If winning is the only thing you find fun, then sure, why prolong the game? But I enjoy actually playing the game, and it's not much fun to be cut off, especially mid-turn.
Quoting because I wanted to upvote this a few more times, but the forums only let me upvote once.

I don't mind if my opponent resigns if they're way behind. I hate it when it's a close game, but my opponent resigns just because I can probably win next turn. Though it's understandable if it's the kind of game where the turns take a long time.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2016, 06:58:37 pm »
+3

I always use Scrabble as an example. You can play Scrabble knowing the other person is going to crush you, before the initial tile draw, and yet still have fun, and, given you parenthetical, yes still be trying to win.

It is a key feature of Dominion, that it can be fun to play even when you know you're losing. All games should strive to be fun to lose, because most people lose most games.

I think it's more fun to lose when you're playing with the physical game. You probably know the people you're playing with, man, they are decent people, why take their fun away, and it'll take a bit to clean up the table and play a new game. Online? I don't know you and I'm probably staring out the window while you play and it is so tempting to click that white flag and start a totally new game in five seconds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2016, 07:01:17 pm »

I hate it when it's a close game, but my opponent resigns just because I can probably win next turn. Though it's understandable if it's the kind of game where the turns take a long time.

Well, I usually wait until I see that you have enough coins and buys to win before I resign.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »
+3

I am for one, thankful for people who resign when I have to spend my 20 coin tokens before having a win (R.I.P. MMF) or I have to play my seven pawns to get to the win.

I get that playing your turns out is fun, but a new game of Dominion is also fun, maybe even more than this one! So when it is clear who is going to win, why is it bad to move on?

I actually adapt to my opponent when I'm playing them a few games in a row on MF, if I see an f.ds member for example I tend to resign more since they generally know what they are doing sometimes and because I assume that resignation is not considered rude here. Casual players sometimes have a different opinion, so I tend to play the games out if it's not very unpleasant to do so.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 08:31:34 pm »
+2

I think having a "Continue with bot / End game" option after a player resigns might be nice, especially for multiplayer games. You could also provide some incentives for finishing the game, as long as they provide just enough value to make you want to sit around for the last turn, rather than nearly-essential to sit through a pin. So achievements that you can still get when you lose, maybe you take a slightly smaller hit to your rating if you finish the game rather than quit it, if there's some kind of in-game currency then maybe everyone who makes it to the end of the game gets a couple of token coins (which are not the same as coin tokens, natch).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:37 pm »

I don't know, if you're getting 50 point turns and I'm staring at a hand full of vowels I'm not having much fun. Plenty of games can be fun to lose, but I guess it's when you feel like you no longer have the ability to do anything meaningful that most people would find themselves not having fun. Dominion does a good job of avoiding that feeling in most games, but it happens.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2016, 06:24:37 pm »

My guess is that players most likely to resign a losing position also like VP counter on.

this surprises me because i am a definite counterexample. i prefer VP off and love a good ragequit. can you conduct a poll which measures the 4 possibilities?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 07:21:24 pm »

If I'm losing a game by 20000000 points, there's no point in continuing to waste my time with the game at hand. Sorry.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:20 pm »
+1

If I'm losing a game by 20000000 points

Log?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2016, 07:28:39 pm »

If I'm losing a game by 20000000 points

Log?

You know it's going to be a Goons game.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 09:33:37 am »

I resign when I'm losing badly and I've also stopped having fun (or if I have to go). Generally I try to ask the opponent if I can resign if it's the last turn or something; that way people who really want to play it out can do so. No one has ever said no yet, strangely enough.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2016, 09:43:21 am »
+2

After replying to this thread I started a random game on Goko and found this pleasant kingdom.  No VP counter required.

Chapel, Guide, Masquerade, Armory, Rats, Artificer, Saboteur, Torturer, Treasure Trove, King's Court, Events: Scouting Party, Bonfire

Armory to gain Rats to trash Curses from Torturer and be targets for Opponent's Saboteur to turn into Chapel to trash Rats.  That's synergy. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.