Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Millennium Blades  (Read 2679 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Millennium Blades
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:26:56 am »

I just found out about this intriguing board game that many of you might like. It emulates being a professional CCG player and is totally a meta game. It consists of basically 2 parts. First you start with a couple of cards and a little bit of money. You have 2x 7mins where you can buy, sell and trade as many cards as you wish. You have then 6mins to order your cards and pick your strategy. Part of these cards go to your collection where you gain victory points the more cards you got from a specific set. With the rest of your cards you're actually playing the CCG in a tournament. This is simulated by playing 6 of your cards in a certain order triggering comboes and messing with your opponent flipping their cards over etc. Victory points are awarded based on how many points you scored in the tournament (the winner gets X VP, second place gets less etc.). The two phases - trading cards and playing in the tournament - happen 3 times and whoever has the most VP at the end is the winner.

The target group for this game is certainly small but Dominion being a deckbuilder and many of you playing MtG it may appeal to a lot of you. So I thought I share. Has anyone played it already?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Millennium Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 12:11:05 pm »

I posted about this last year when it was on Kickstarter! A friend backed it and received it so I think I'll get to try it eventually.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:26:13 pm »

I posted about this last year when it was on Kickstarter! A friend backed it and received it so I think I'll get to try it eventually.

Well, I searched the forum because I wondered this, but you misspelled Millennium that's why I didn't find it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:37:18 pm »

Well, I searched the forum because I wondered this, but you misspelled Millennium that's why I didn't find it.

Oops! I think I consistently misspell that.

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't have started this thread or anything; I was just linking my previous thoughts on this.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:46:38 pm »
+1

Ugh, games with timers.  Now I know not to worry about getting it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 01:51:49 pm »

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't have started this thread or anything; I was just linking my previous thoughts on this.

Sorry I know, I understood.

Ugh, games with timers.  Now I know not to worry about getting it.

I'm also not a fan of timer, but it would just take too long without a time frame. You can play of course without it and there is a variant without timer but with turn order, but I'm not sure how good it is.

HLennartz

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:46:26 pm »

The timer isn't that bad, because it gives you 20 minutes per deckbuilding phase (broken up into 7 minute, 7 minute, and 6 minute chunks). Usually when games have real-time play, it's designed to be hectic, but I feel MB gives you just enough time to make strategic decisions at a relaxed pace (with no down time and being engaged 100% of the time!), but actually moving the game along and not falling into analysis paralysis. It's the first time I've ever seen a game do that (real-time, but not rushed) and I'd really like to see more games like that.

I've played the game quite a few times now, and it's definitely in my top favorite games. There's also a co-op mode in the Set Rotation expansion that can be played solo, and it's a pretty solid way to play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 21 queries.