Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ordered Pile - Caverns  (Read 1963 times)

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
Ordered Pile - Caverns
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »
+3

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I came up with some cards that had synergy specifically with each other.  But, they would have had the problem of being too weak when they didn't show up in the same kingdom.  When ordered piles were revealed, it basically allowed the problem to be fixed.  I'm new at making fan cards, so these are quite simple. So, Here are my cards:

Spelunker - Action - $1

+1 Action
Choose One: Look through your discard pile, reveal a Cavern from it, and put it into your hand; or +1 Card.

Ice Cavern - Action-Cavern - $2

+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards, trash a card from your hand, and put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

Sand Cave - Action-Attack-Cavern - $3

+1 Action
Each other player either gains a Copper per Cavern you have in play, or gains a Curse, their choice.

Moonglow Tunnel - Action-Cavern - $4

+$2
+1 Action per Cavern you have in play.

Hidden Grotto - Action-Cavern - $5

+1 Action
+1 Card per Cavern you have in play.

Canyon - Action-Cavern - $6

+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Caverns. Put the Caverns into your hand, and discard the other revealed cards.

Jungle Hollow - Action-Cavern - $7

+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have at least 2 Caverns in play, +1 Card, +1 Action, +2$

Miracle Tarn - Action - $8

+1 Action
Trash any number of cards from your hand. Gain a Gold per card you trashed, putting them on top of your deck.

They are mostly non-terminal to make it much easier to chain.  Since they have had zero testing, they're probably really unbalanced.  I would appreciate any feedback anyone has.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:14:49 pm by LostPhoenix »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered Pile - Caverns
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:45 pm »

I don't like Spelunker on the top of the pile as it is a dead card until you get another Cavern.

Ice Cavern should say "trash a card from your hand". It's also similar in strength to Masquerade in the early game (which is saying something), so people will really not want to buy Spelunker and give opponents access to Ice Cavern.

Miracle Tarn looks fun.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 04:21:24 pm »

I wanted Spelunker to still made Spelunker "search" for a Cavern, so I made it into an optional cantrip.
Ice Cavern now discard 2 cards instead of 1.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:48:03 am »

This is a cool idea.  The cards vary widely in power level, which means there may be times when I don't want the top one because the one under it is better.  Moonglow Tunnel may be susceptible to this; it's good, but not amazing, and Hidden Grotto is amazing if you have a decent number of Caverns.

I'm a bit confused by Miracle Tarn; it doesn't seem to fit with the other Caverns.  Most engine decks either don't want Gold or don't want to topdeck it, and Caverns work best in an engine deck.

Technical question:  Shouldn't there be 10 in the pile?  You could either come up with new ones or duplicate two of the ones already there, similar to Castles in 3-player.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Your resident lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:36:33 pm »

This is a cool idea.  The cards vary widely in power level, which means there may be times when I don't want the top one because the one under it is better.  Moonglow Tunnel may be susceptible to this; it's good, but not amazing, and Hidden Grotto is amazing if you have a decent number of Caverns.

I'm a bit confused by Miracle Tarn; it doesn't seem to fit with the other Caverns.  Most engine decks either don't want Gold or don't want to topdeck it, and Caverns work best in an engine deck.

Technical question:  Shouldn't there be 10 in the pile?  You could either come up with new ones or duplicate two of the ones already there, similar to Castles in 3-player.

I was browsing images for Caverns, when I found a drawing that reminded me of Deathwater from the Chronicles of Narnia. Deathwater was a pool that transformed everything that fell into it into gold.  A Dominion card like that sounded interesting to me, so I made it into one of the Caverns.  Although it may be somewhat thematic, you're right that it doesn't work well with the others.  I don't know what It could be changed to, though.  Maybe some kind of scaling remodel?

As far as the 10-pile, there could be duplicates of some of the more powerful ones like Hidden Grotto.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 04:18:10 pm »

I don't know, I kind of like Miracle Tarn, sometimes square pegs in round holes are more interesting than round pegs in round holes.  The price is probably wrong though, I think it either needs to go up or down.  At 9$ you wouldn't be able luck into an early spike and just trash your BM deck for golds (at least not as often), at a lower price point you could weaken it somehow and let the enginier cavern deck compete with it better.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.