Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Governor faster than Ambassador?  (Read 3350 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Governor faster than Ambassador?
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »

Here's the set: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/25/game-20120125-090245-e46e6c01.html

I lost (as Fin Fang Foom) because I went with the Ambassador to thin my deck, while my opponent went with Steward.  I can't ever recall losing when I bought an Ambassador and my opponent didn't.  Is the board just too fast with Governor available?

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: Governor faster than Ambassador?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »
+1

I think the biggest mistake(s) you made were drawing cards with your Governors early on. You draw Turn 7, when your opponent has 6+ a pearl diver in hand. You buy a Gold with your extra cards, and allow him to buy a Province. You could have just gained the Gold instead.

Then on Turn 9 you draw again, buying a province, but you also increase his hand from 7 to Province.

You draw again on turn 10, which lets you send back 2 estates, but then he buys a Province again (he had to Governor draw to get it though, this one not so bad).

So... Governor is really fast against Ambassador if you keep drawing cards for your opponent!

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:33:19 pm »

So... Governor is really fast against Ambassador if you keep drawing cards for your opponent!

So, what's your strategy?  Don't buy Governor?  Only use it to gain Gold?  Shouldn't I be worried that his deck, with Governor, is going to be too fast if I'm just using it to gain Gold?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:28 pm »

Gaining Golds is about the only thing I use Governor for in the early game.
It's the only thing that really helps me without helping my opponent.
If he's going for an action card engine, those Silvers will even hurt him.

Later on, I'll prob use it as a Remodel. This is especially good if there are no $7's in the kingdom (opponent can't trash KC for Prov for example) and if the only key cards are at $3 (Silver) or $5 (Governor), so he can't sneak in a Duchy (trash a $4).

I only use Gov for the draw if I know I can hamper my opponent afterwards: Militia-style attack or Possession!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

Short answer: Yes. Anything fast that can acquire provinces amid a bunch of copper is too fast for ambassador.

However, he didn't even really go Governor, per se -- he had only one! You basically did the governing for him. So you tried to give him junk with Ambassador to clog his deck, but you let him draw it with Governor so it never really got in the way. So in effect, you didn't really slow him down at all. You only hurt yourself by taking turns to play Ambassador. Your strategy wasn't coherent.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

If you consistently use Governor for +cards, you're probably going to lose no matter what else you're doing. That's because the benefit to your opponent is greatest when you choose this option--you are letting him play a Laboratory, essentially.

Ambassador is premised upon the fact that you forgo drastic improvement to your own deck while slowly destroying your opponent's deck. The attack is hugely mitigated if you are frequently granting your opponent the use of a Laboratory. Additionally, Governor games tend to end very quickly, and are probably more resistant to Ambassador-style play than the average strategy.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »

Not to mention that ambassador isn't that strong in BM to start with.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »

Once you'd got a small deck you could made use of it by trying a strategy of gain gold, trash gold for provinces. This would have been a rapid accumulation of vp that is difficult to manage with a large deck. Giving your opponent some silvers into the discard pile and some minor trashing will clearly help but perhaps not as much drawing extra cards into hand. There were still 7 coppers in your opponents deck at the end so it might have been difficult to assemble all treasures into province buying hands.

Your draws were poor too btw. Your opponent only ever used his steward to trash 2 cards and that shouldn't provide significant advantage over an ambassador.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:44:08 am »

One of the big big mistakes people tend to make with Governor is to use the +cards effect too early and too often. This is perfectly fine with stuff like Militia (or even better: Minion), but in BMesque games without those discarders Gold should be your first priority early and mid game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.