Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Village  (Read 6082 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Village
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:34:24 am »
+2

I've never played this game, but it looks pretty interesting and it's on sale for 20€ on lautapelit.fi. Should I get it?

(inb4 Village only costs $3)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:43:10 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
Re: Village
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 07:17:34 am »

I've passed over it many a time due to the generic title, but your thread actually made me stop and take a proper look at it.

It looks like a pretty solid Euro, but not too scary. I like the look of the different paths to achieving renown and the cycle of life and death.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:58:01 am »
+2

It looks like a pretty solid Euro, but not too scary. I like the look of the different paths to achieving renown and the cycle of life and death.

That's basically it. It's not the best game ever, but certainly a good one if you like euros.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:05:13 am »
+1

I like it.
Would certainly recommend @ €20
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »
+1

We enjoy it well enough. I haven't bought the Village Inn expansion, but I hear that it brings the game up from gateway+ to a more interesting Euro.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:13:00 pm »
+1

I played this a couple times and it was pretty darn good. 9/10

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:46:45 am »

I went and ordered it. Thanks for the opinions!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »

Let us know how it goes for you.

I'm leaning towards it myself.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:18:26 am »

I learned it recently and loved it;  it's on my wish list. My game had both the expansions/mods.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 08:50:47 am »

I've played it a couple of times- it's quite interesting, but, being a worker placement game, I suck at it.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 09:19:35 am »
+4

being a worker placement game, I suck at it.

I never knew you were a worker placement game!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 01:45:29 pm »

I've played it a couple of times- it's quite interesting, but, being a worker placement game, I suck at it.

I don't think I would put it in the category of worker placement.... it has some elements of that I suppose; but the core mechanic is not "place a worker on an action; no one else can do that action this round. If you have more workers, you get more actions each round."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 03:23:42 pm »
+6

I haven't played it, but if I played it once, I'd get to play two more games, right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 03:54:17 am »
+5

I haven't played it, but if I played it once, I'd get to play two more games, right?
This right here is the reason we need an alternative up-voting mechanism, a small icon in the shape of a rolled up newspaper to smack a user on the nose and say, "No! Bad user!"

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 05:33:58 am »
+1

This right here is the reason we need an alternative up-voting mechanism, a small icon in the shape of a rolled up newspaper to smack a user on the nose and say, "No! Bad user!"

PMing theory now.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:30:40 am »
+1

I played one game and my first impressions are that it was very worth the 20€, but not necessarily the next game I'm going to get super excited about. It'll probably get a little bit more interesting after I play it a few more times.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:24 am »

I played one game and my first impressions are that it was very worth the 20€, but not necessarily the next game I'm going to get super excited about. It'll probably get a little bit more interesting after I play it a few more times.
What are the things that you feel hold it back, based on that one play?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 06:50:15 am »

What are the things that you feel hold it back, based on that one play?

It doesn't seem like it has enough variety. I'm going to be drawn back to the game quite frequently until I feel like I've stopped learning new things every time I play, and then it's going to sit on the shelf and maybe I'll gladly play it when I want to introduce a friend to it or when someone else suggests that we should play it, that kind of thing. I think it's probably difficult enough to master that it'll be interesting for at least a few dozen games, but certainly not for a few thousand games.

In that sense, it seems like it's a lot like Puerto Rico, which is also a great game but I'm just not super excited about it anymore.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 06:32:28 am »

I feel like Dominion has ruined me in that regard - utterly prejudiced me against a base set that I'm not going to get several hundred plays out of. Village was recently a little cheaper out my way, but I went with Caylus instead for precisely that reason. I can still see it being a hassle to get to my table, if only because the people who do like resource management in the form of Waterdeep like Waterdeep a lot - anything more stabby and I feel like they're going to get upset...

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 01:49:21 am »

Has the honeymoon worn off yet, or are you still at least finding new strategies?

Curious because I picked it up recently myself due to the aforementioned reduced price. Still haven't played it because I strained my back lifting the package it came in with Caverna.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 12:57:40 pm »

Has the honeymoon worn off yet, or are you still at least finding new strategies?

Curious because I picked it up recently myself due to the aforementioned reduced price. Still haven't played it because I strained my back lifting the package it came in with Caverna.

I have only played like 4 games, I don't really have any idea what I'm doing yet.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 06:54:43 am »

I have only played like 4 games, I don't really have any idea what I'm doing yet.
You're talking to someone who completely forgot the wishing well was a thing for the opening couple of games...

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 05:52:06 am »
+2

It seems my initial estimates of it were pretty wrong. I had assumed that there was going to be one strategy per game (aim for the church this time; the market the next), but you really have to diversify and play off of whatever is best at the time. Locking yourself into one route seems not just sub-optimal - it's downright difficult.

I like how it feels as though you can't experience everything in one game, too. Due to the available resources, there's always a fork in the road where you have to make a decision; for example, commit to producing more tools to clean up at the market, or start offing family members to mop up the available victory points in the town chronicle. Like awaclus said, the number of viable strategies might not take a long time to uncover, but at least for the opening few games, each time feels like a new experience.

On another note, I like how tactile the game is. If it were just worker placement/resource taking, it might well have been generic. But you've got the seeding at the start of the round, where you draw resources from a bag randomly; and then the mass at the end, where you do the same with the clergy members. I feel like these elements, especially the latter, could've been represented with simple card draw or something; but they're turned into a kind of mini-game. It might seem a bit silly, but the I find the randomizer bags really quite endearing.

The base game itself is pretty neat, but I think the Tavern expansion with its "bonus point" cards is pretty close to essential. The downside is that some cards are much, much more powerful than others, and getting a lucky draw late in the game (when you've already completed the objectives) can feel a bit like you haven't earned it. But on the whole I personally like the benefits they provide and the extra depth they add to the game, as a change in the cards might cause you to consider another route you hadn't considered. Moreover, many of them encourage you to gamble on a certain strategy: you'll get a bigger pay off, but it might cause other players to try and dogpile your targets to prevent you from pulling it off. It's not quite Seaside level of, "is this still the same game?", but it does what a good expansion ought to: adds a lot of different paths to victory and replayability.

Apologies for length and all that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 04:50:47 pm »

I finally bought this recently, and got to play it last night. As good as I remembered.

I got a pretty good lead early, but with much less ability to get points-per-turn than my opponent. So I was able to rush the game end by wasting a lot of time and ending it during only the 4th round, to win by 2 points.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.