Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Storyteller...?  (Read 17885 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Storyteller...?
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:19 pm »
+3

What even is this card?

1. Bank?
2. With Quarry, you can play Storyteller, then Quarry, then gain an Adventurer with your Workshop, right?
3. Relic still attacks, right?
4. Crown? Like, what?
5. Can you still Counterfeit another Treasure? If so, does the Counterfeited treasure draw you cards or give you moola?
6. If you play Royal Seal with Storyteller, Can you topdeck cards from your Workshop?How about cards you buy?
7. Does Loan do the Loan thing?
8. Rocks?
9. Does Hoard do the fun Hoard Gold gain?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:23:06 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Storyteller...?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:20:35 pm »
+12

1. It counts all the treasures, since they're in play.
2. Correct.
3. Yes.
4. It plays an Action card twice, since it's your Action phase.  Afterwards, you go back to resolving Storyteller.
5. Yes, you can, and it gives you money, but then Storyteller pays all your money and draws cards.
6. I'm not sure what you mean here, since Workshop doesn't topdeck cards and you don't normally play Workshop with Storyteller (edge case: Crown)
7. Yes, it does.
8. Rocks doesn't have any weird rules when you play it; it just gives you $1, which Storyteller turns into +1 Card.
9. Yes, it does, since it's still in play.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:22:33 pm »

Thanks math!

I fixed question six, but I think I know the answer at this point.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:24:23 pm »
+5

Yes, Royal Seal still works as normal, and it works on cards you gain in your action phase.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:54:58 pm »
+1

You only pay the money. You follow all of the effects on the Treasure card as you play them. If you played some Treasure that made you gain an Estate every time you played it, guess what, you gain an Estate when you play the Treasure with Storyteller. It's the same deal with Black Market, only difference is Storyteller "steals" the money used with it's playing treasures effect for draw.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:27:19 am »
+6

The only weird niggle is that playing Counterfeit lets you play more than Storyteller's limit of three Treasures.

Also, for extra inception, play Storyteller, Crown, Storyteller.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:37:24 am »
+1

The only weird niggle is that playing Counterfeit lets you play more than Storyteller's limit of three Treasures.

Also, for extra inception, play Storyteller, Crown, Storyteller.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The game is collapsing

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:54:50 am »
+2

Venture, too! Man, if you really wanted crazy draw, play Royal Seal first, then a Venture, revealing a Tunnel, gaining a Gold, putting in on top of your deck, then play a third Venture to play the Gold. (the second Venture has to play something too of course).

Or three ventures, revealing even more ventures, and finally a Bank. Man, Prosperity is crazy.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:59:08 am »
+2

Storyteller - Crown - Storyteller - Venture - Counterfeit - Venture - Bank - Venture 2 - Crown - Storyteller - ? ? ? - Profit?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 05:03:58 am »
+9

Storyteller - Crown - Storyteller - Venture - Counterfeit - Venture - Bank - Venture 2 - Crown - Storyteller - ? ? ? - Profit?
f.ds: where making your own head explode is considered a viable strategy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 07:17:17 am »
+1

f.ds: where making your own head explode spending every cent in your deck to draw cards is considered a viable strategy.

FTFY
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:19:10 am »
+1

f.ds: where making your own head explode spending every cent in your deck to draw cards is considered a viable strategy.

FTFY
It is with Vineyards!

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:56 pm »

Kind of like when you Throne Room a Throne Room, you play more than a Throne Room's limit of one other Action card.

I love how all of math's answers are pretty much, "yes, really." A lot of the confusion/questions around Crown (and Storyteller here) lately reminded me of things like Throne Room/Feast and Ironworks/Great Hall; yes you really do get to gain 2 cards, just follow the words; yes you really do get +1 Card and +1 Action.

4. It plays an Action card twice, since it's your Action phase.  Afterwards, you go back to resolving Storyteller.

Roadrunner, I'm sure you'll be pleased to note that this means you can play a Storyteller, use it to play Crown, use the Crown to play Scout twice which nets you +2 Actions and maybe you draw some Harems that you can also play with Storyteller... :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 01:07:43 pm »
+1

The thing that is actually confusing is BM + Crown + BM. Which cards do you get to look at...?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:03 pm »
+10

Kind of like when you Throne Room a Throne Room, you play more than a Throne Room's limit of one other Action card.

I love how all of math's answers are pretty much, "yes, really." A lot of the confusion/questions around Crown (and Storyteller here) lately reminded me of things like Throne Room/Feast and Ironworks/Great Hall; yes you really do get to gain 2 cards, just follow the words; yes you really do get +1 Card and +1 Action.

Roadrunner, I'm sure you'll be pleased to note that this means you can play a Storyteller, use it to play Crown, use the Crown to play Scout twice which nets you +2 Actions and maybe you draw some Harems that you can also play with Storyteller... :P

Seriously, people. The cards always literally do just exactly what they say except for Pirate Ship

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 01:35:09 pm »
+4

Seriously, people. The cards always literally do just exactly what they say except for Pirate Ship

And Nomad Camp, and also now Possession.

But yes, your point is still well made.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »
+3

Also Black Market.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »
+1

The thing that is actually confusing is BM + Crown + BM. Which cards do you get to look at...?

- play Black Market1
-- reveal 3 cards from the BM deck
-- play Crown
-- -- play Black Market2
-- -- -- reveal the next 3 cards from the BM deck, may play Treasures and buy one of those 3
-- -- play Black Market2 a second time
-- -- -- reveal the next 3 cards from the BM deck, may play Treasures and buy one of those 3
-- play any other Treasures you want, may buy one of the originally revealed 3

Once the cards are revealed from the deck, they're not on the deck any more, so subsequent plays of Black Market just look at the deck and know nothing about the cards currently revealed.

It reminds me a little of Lookout+Cultist; you look at 3 cards from your deck with Lookout, if you trash a Cultist, you draw the next 3 cards of your deck, while the other 2 cards you're currently looking at are not part of your deck.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »

Also Black Market.

And Envoy. But yeah, even with all that said, the answer to almost every rules question in Dominion is "do what the card says to do." Except for Crown, playing a treasure in the action phase is no different than playing it in the buy phase.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 07:31:38 pm »
+6

Something tells me someone has done this before, but...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 08:23:14 pm »

Something tells me someone has done this before, but...

I think Villa is more appropriate for that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »

But yes, your point is still well made.

What's different about Nomad Camp and Pirate Ship? Pirate ship prolly should say something like pirate token or whatever, but I can't figur out what's wrong with what it should say on nomad camp?

And posession: because the tokens now go to you (playing as him) and no longer him?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:16 pm »

Also Black Market.

And Envoy. But yeah, even with all that said, the answer to almost every rules question in Dominion is "do what the card says to do." Except for Crown, playing a treasure in the action phase is no different than playing it in the buy phase.

What's different with how envoy is worded than to what it does?

"

Envoy is misworded: it should say "Put the rest into your hand" rather than "Draw the rest", and should be treated as such. This is relevant for when the -1 Card token is on your deck; in this case, you still reveal 5 cards, put 4 into your hand (discarding 1), and put the token back on top of your deck. "

Ok, I got that part.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
+1

What's different about Nomad Camp and Pirate Ship? Pirate ship prolly should say something like pirate token or whatever, but I can't figur out what's wrong with what it should say on nomad camp?

Yeah, Pirate Ship just says "take a coin token", the same way Candlestick Maker does, but Pirate Ship does not actually give you coin tokens.

Nomad Camp, the deal is, it says "when you gain this" you put it on your deck, but in Dominion "when you gain this" usually means right after you gain something. And with Nomad Camp you put it on your deck as you gain it, not right after.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 03:47:50 am »

In what particular context does that matter? When something wants to move nomad camp?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.