Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Who's who in Adventures Events?  (Read 13771 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Who's who in Adventures Events?
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:39:40 pm »
+28

Events increase the strategic and especially the tactical complexity of Dominion: now you don't just need to know what to do with your cards and add to your deck every turn, you have to worry about what to do with the game-universe too. Here's some tips on each event to help you. If the only piece of general strategy can be "it depends on the kingdom," the only piece of general tactics is "pay attention." Every buy phase, spend 2 seconds thinking about events. It's not 2010 anymore.

The constant vigilance events: Borrow, Scouting Party, Save-- if any of these three are out, you are going to have to think hard about them every single turn. Borrow is expensive but often worth it, especially in the late game. Scouting Party's free buy makes it an auto-buy on many Province hands. Save should be used virtually every turn that you have +1 to spend more than you need, and should occasionally encourage you to buy cheaper, just so you can save. Don't forget to save junk cards from missing the shuffle, to save Reactions, etc. Obvious but easy to screw up: Saving a copper effectively costs two, saving an action effectively costs one.

Honorable mention in this category to Travelling Fair (which is of the same caliber of constantly-possibly-useful as the others, but often too expensive). Can't mention travelling fair without mentioning the insane Counting House Combo, of course, or that it can provide the only +buy on a board. Honorable mention to all the "gainers" as well.

The game warper: Inheritance. Inheritance, inheritance, inheritance. Inheritance. Perhaps the most fun card of the set, maybe the whole game, certainly the one that least makes you feel like you're playing the same old game of Dominion. If this is on the board, ask yourself: how can I hit seven as fast as possible? The laws of Dominion have changed.  It can make sense to open silver/silver on a strong engine board if a sufficiently amazing target for Inheritance is around. Indiscriminate trashers are now mediocre openers, Moneylender, on the other hand, is good again. Oh, right, and the weird mid-game rush for the estate pile. The estate pile! The mid-game!

The steroids : Mission, Expedition. Mission tends to alternate between broken good and virtually useless. Sometimes you buy it in the early game just to play an important attack/traveler/etc, but often the early game is when you can least afford not to buy anything. Expedition, on the other hand, serves two very different functions: the obvious one (helping you get a megaturn or just a good early turn when you don't particularly want another Silver -- note there's no one per turn limit), but also the safety; if you're ahead in a Village/Smithy type game, an Expedition is probably better than an extra piece in the end-game to stave off a dud turn.

The cards that modify other cards : Gold medals to Lost Arts and Pathfinding. If you're not a fan of the Variants and Fan Cards subforum, consider going there briefly and reading some of the common arguments about how to cost cards, the non-linearity of card costing, the foolishness of adding +1 Action to a middling fan card just to make someone buy it. Then note that you can break all those rules, while literally playing Dominion, with these events. Festival + Pathfinding = Grand Market. Smithy + Lost Arts = unpriceable broken good. And yet Mountebank + Lost Arts = eh, when were you planning on drawing two Mountebanks together anyway, and did you really have nothing better to spend 6 on in a Mountebank game?

Silver Medal to Ferry and Training: Ferry's certainly also nuts. Not as game-breaking as you fantasize it to be, typically because the sorts of games where Ferry is unspeakably awesome are the sorts of games you could do something unspeakably awesome anyway, and Ferry just speeds it up. Training is still good, but it needs to go on something you're regularly playing more than one of per turn to be worth it.

Seaway, like many +Buy cards, is extremely important if it's the only +Buy card on the board, but is rather ignorable otherwise. Bronze medal.

The trashers : Bonfire, Plan, Trade. Bonfire in the early game is a little like a Mint open: good if you have some way to get treasures into an otherwise wretched deck, bad otherwise. Quite synergistic with the Page line. In the mid to late game it can trash silvers for you, if it's that sort of game.

Plan. Eh. Plan's useful in the early game the way Doctor overpay can be, but often gets useless pretty quickly. You find yourself buying a Shanty Town with a spare buy turn 12 and as the client asks, pathetically, if you want to trash a card in your hand, you remember, oh right, I had such big Plans back in the day.

Trade, like the card Trading Post, is at its best when there's handsize increasers and/or cursing. The comparison to Trading Post stops there; it's more expensive in the sense that you only have to buy Trading Post once, but it can gain you more Silvers, it can't cause you a disgusting turn 6 when you draw it with the only other good cards in your deck, and it isn't hanging out in your deck once you don't need it anymore.

The gainers: Quest, Alms, Pilgrimage, Ball. Quest you either totally ignore or you buy it almost every other turn, the latter in sloggy games where the two curse rule or an obsolete Sea Hag quickly takes you to gold-town. It's quite useful in Mercenary games as well; if your Urchins don't line up on the second shuffle, trade the second one for a gold; later it gives you somehting to do with a Mercenary you can't afford to play (or that you draw dead). And it gives yet another reason to consider Ambassador/Ambassador or Swindler/Swindler openings.

Alms, of all these, should maybe go in the constant vigilance category. The one-per-turn limit means it's never truly insane, but you still often give up a free Caravan if you fail to pay attention to this card throughout the game. Obviously best (not counting the early game) with money-producing-actions and +buy. Don't forget to consider Alms-ing for Estate/Tunnel/Island on an end-game dud turn. Also consider splitting 5/2. If you split 4/3 there's always the "I'll use my coin token" joke. The sequel to that joke is "I'll Alms for a Caravan" when neither is on the board and you don't want anything; you don't have to cite me, you can just use that.

Pilgrimage requires planning; you'll want to have bought the first one before your first mega-turn, but buying thin air in turn delays the average onset of that mega-turn, which can itself snowball. Most important when there's no +buy, or when there are annoying-to-gain cards like Scrying Pool or King's Court. The decision calculus changes with Ranger/Giant on the board, but there's nothing smart to say there except, you know, know which way your Journey token is flipped. 

Ball, hmm, it's sort of like Band of Misfits -- it's fine, it seems at first like it's going to be great, but it just can't be because it makes you gain 4s when you have 5 to spend and usually 5s are more important than 4s. The -1 token is a real kick in the pants too given that you're already a little sad to spend 5 on a 4. I mean remember that time you opened Talisman and then you drew it with 4 coppers on turn 3? Wasn't that already sad enough?

The attack: Raid. It's expensive and floods your deck with Silver, which means it's only a good buy if you're willing to commit to buying it a lot. But then the attack is quite strong, comparable to Minion. Problem: do you know what type of deck is extremely vulnerable to a Minion attack? One whose economy is based on Silver-flooding. The Raid-spam, and especially the Raid-spam mirror, is a bit of a psychological game too: gain a Province now? But then you're not attacking, and you're not gaining 4 silvers. Well, does the opponent look like someone whose next hand has 8 money in it?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:43:31 pm by ehunt »

Scion

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Who's who in Adventures Events?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:13:06 am »
+1

This is fantastic.  Thanks ehunt! 

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:02:39 pm »
+1

inheritance game changer? I really think its a lot less of a game changer than pathfinding and lost arts. If you can trash your estates faster than getting inheritance just do that. Ferry is also nuts as well as bonfire.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:17:24 pm »
+6

On first skim through, you're severely understating how good Bonfire is. It is worlds better than Mint, and since it only trashes two cards at a time it doesn't destroy your economy to buy it early. Bonfire is more often than not going to be bought in games it is present in. It's limitations are offset by how damn fast it is. Not waiting a shuffle to reap the benefits of trashing is That Big Of A Deal.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:18:57 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:23:19 pm »
+3

inheritance game changer? I really think its a lot less of a game changer than pathfinding and lost arts. If you can trash your estates faster than getting inheritance just do that. Ferry is also nuts as well as bonfire.

You may be forgetting that any future Estates you gain also get the benefit. Then you are basically buying $5-$6 cards for $2 apiece.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 12:50:28 pm »
+1

You are underrating Bonfire and Plan, and overrating Raid.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »
+17

Dude, I do not want to hear any more about Raid from you until you've bought it at least once.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:55:50 pm »
+4

Dude, I do not want to hear any more about Raid from you until you've bought it at least once.

I will never buy Raid. :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 01:59:10 pm »
+5

You are underestimating all three trashers. Bonfire makes sure that your t1/t2 buy makes the shuffle. Same for Plan. However, Plan will only trash one card at first, usually an estate. If you trashed just two cards from Plan, it was worth it, but usually you will get at least three trashes out of it, sometimes more.

Trade is also a lot stronger than people realize. It's not really a trasher as more of a Payload gainer. Essentially, you exchange two crap cards for two silvers which is quite strong. It is almost always better to buy this over Gold in both BM and engine.

Ball is strong too, assuming you need two $4 or less costs or there are not gainers/+buy on the board. It's penalty is far less than Borrow's Penalty.

You're right though about Inheritance being game-warping to the point where hitting $7 early trumps trashing. Although, there are some boards Inheritance is just not worth going for.

You also forgot that Travelling might be the only source of +buy on a board. I once bought out all the Peddlers because of Travelling Fair.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:01:45 pm by Beyond Awesome »

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 02:16:21 pm »
+1

I feel like Plan should go in the same category as Pathfinding/Lost Arts/Training/Ferry.  All of these events encourage you to run for a pile, possibly competing with other players.  This is particularly interesting with 3+ players, because you might want to place your token on a suboptimal pile if it means you don't have to compete with the other players.

Early on, I made the mistake of thinking it would be good to place tokens on expensive cards.  Wouldn't Grand Market be brokenly awesome if it were also a lab?  But often you just want to place the token on something cheap and spammable that you can get a lot of.  For instance, Hamlet.

Seaway, well, it won't cause you to run a pile, what do you need all that +Buy for anyway?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »
+1

You may be forgetting that any future Estates you gain also get the benefit. Then you are basically buying $5-$6 cards for $2 apiece.
Without cost reducers you can't get 5-6 dollar cards for 2

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 02:39:10 pm »

I feel like Plan should go in the same category as Pathfinding/Lost Arts/Training/Ferry.  All of these events encourage you to run for a pile, possibly competing with other players.  This is particularly interesting with 3+ players, because you might want to place your token on a suboptimal pile if it means you don't have to compete with the other players.

Early on, I made the mistake of thinking it would be good to place tokens on expensive cards.  Wouldn't Grand Market be brokenly awesome if it were also a lab?  But often you just want to place the token on something cheap and spammable that you can get a lot of.  For instance, Hamlet.

Seaway, well, it won't cause you to run a pile, what do you need all that +Buy for anyway?

I agree. The tokens seem to be better on really cheap cantrips like Vagrant and Pearl Diver than expensive stuff like Laboratory, especially if cost reduction is present. Oh, and like any pile token on Magpie is powerful.

Seaway giving too many buys? Well, Grand Market also gives "too many buys" in many cases, but it's excellent pile control. Also, I played a game yesterday where Seaway on Magpie let me get most of the Peddlers.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 02:41:03 pm »
+8

Without cost reducers you can't get 5-6 dollar cards for 2

He's saying the value of a <$4 that also gives 1 VP could be $5-6, which seems fair. Not sure I value the VP that highly, but especially if your opponent passed on Inheritance and let you go hog-wild on Estates those points are nice.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »
+5

An often understated bonus of Inheritance is how the Supply is artificially increased for that pile just for you. Like say you inherit Highway - now it's not at all difficult to get the seven or eight Highway you need to gobble up those Provinces, whereas before that would require you to dramatically win the split. This also applies to terminal dense kingdoms with only one Village, kingdoms where Caravan is the only draw, etc etc. Anytime a cheap resource is scarce Inheritance becomes a huge factor.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »
+7

Wait until you buy your first home in the suburbs. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 04:20:48 pm »

Bonfire makes sure that your t1/t2 buy makes the shuffle. Same for Plan.

This is something I keep on not realizing. 

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 04:27:53 pm »
+2

Some interesting things to think about when putting Plan on a trasher.,

Plan on Chapel gets rid of an estate right away and makes sure that it doesn't miss the reshuffle.

If you open Plan/Forager, you are technically not adding any cards to your deck. After t4 when you trashed with Forager and bought a card, your deck should still be at 10 cards. If you opened Double Forager, it's possible one or both missed the shuffle. But, assuming even both made the shuffle and you bought cards on t3/t4, your deck would be 12 cards. If one forager missed the shuffle, you effectively trashed one card, but added two foragers which sole purpose is to trash cards. Also, your deck would be 13 cards assuming you bought t3/t4. And, well, let's not talk about both missing the shuffle.

I could give more examples of putting Plan on a trasher as an opening, but I think I've made my point. Essentially, putting plan on a trasher means you see your trasher more and you trash more quickly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:35:02 pm by Beyond Awesome »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »
+4

Some interesting things to think about when putting Plan on a trasher.,

Plan on Chapel gets rid of a copper right away and makes sure that it doesn't miss the reshuffle.

If you open Plan/Forager, you are technically not adding any cards to your deck. After t4 when you trashed with Forager and bought a card, your deck should still be at 10 cards. If you opened Double Forager, it's possible one or both missed the shuffle. But, assuming even both made the shuffle and you bought cards on t3/t4, your deck would be 12 cards. If one forager missed the shuffle, you effectively trashed one card, but added two foragers which sole purpose is to trash cards. Also, your deck would be 13 cards assuming you bought t3/t4. And, well, let's not talk about both missing the shuffle.

I could give more examples of putting Plan on a trasher as an opening, but I think I've made my point. Essentially, putting plan on a trasher means you see your trasher more and you trash more quickly.

Plus, once your old Trasher is all beat up from so much Trashing, you can buy a shiny new copy of your Trasher and Trash your old Trasher from your hand.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:53 pm »

Gotta concur with the love for Bonfire and Plan. Of note: They don't clog your deck. Once you're done with Chapel, it's a dead card.

Also, here's a question: Is Plan worth buying in BM since it doesn't leave a dead action in your deck while you buy your terminals? I recently played a Plan/"3rd Gear" game which was startlingly fast. Without Estates, it skipped buying Silver altogether and went Gold/Province/Province/Province/Province/Gold/Province/Province/Province (I guessed correctly that the second gold would enable more provinces rather than settling for Duchies.) Opponent's engine didn't have a chance.

Would that apply for other BM+X cards or not? Wharf? Smithy? Simulations, anyone?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 10:20:42 pm »

Yes, yes, some words have different meanings. How aweful.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 03:17:30 am »
+14

Raid is pretty good, but +1 anyway for dedication!

Also, did anyone else take

as meaning, "much like your principled stance against Raid will one day erode in the face of an overwhelmingly Raid-friendly board, so too will your feeble desire to live an adventurous life in the city center collapse under pressure as you slowly turn into your parents," rather than as a pesticide joke? Totally normal read right? Could happen to anyone.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
+3

as meaning, "much like your principled stance against Raid will one day erode in the face of an overwhelmingly Raid-friendly board, so too will your feeble desire to live an adventurous life in the city center collapse under pressure as you slowly turn into your parents," rather than as a pesticide joke? Totally normal read right? Could happen to anyone.

Like most things I say, it's so deep and amazing that it works on many levels.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:14:04 am »
+9

Since Making Fun has implemented Raid, it should be bug-free, right?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 10:35:52 am »
+2

as meaning, "much like your principled stance against Raid will one day erode in the face of an overwhelmingly Raid-friendly board, so too will your feeble desire to live an adventurous life in the city center collapse under pressure as you slowly turn into your parents," rather than as a pesticide joke?

Me.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19:15 am »

If that happened to anyone, it would probably be me.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.