Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Attention-whoring thread.... I did it!!  (Read 161305 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Attention-whoring thread.... I did it!!
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:02:20 am »
+8

Finally, after 757 games, I'm a level 30!!  :D Thank you all to people on the board who have taught me so much, as well as played hard-fought matches with me.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

paddyodoors

Re: Attention-whoring thread.... I did it!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:43 am »
+9

Feels bad man.  :-[ :'( :-[ :'(

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
+6

Good work Gendo! I've felt pretty good every time I've hit a cool milestone (which for me were level 40, level 45, #1 on the leaderboard) too, the last one especially, that was pretty special to me.

On an unrelated note, today is day #5 (or 6?) of me being first on the Leaderboard :) Well, I was first on that 30 day leaderboard for a while too I think, but that doesn't count.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:57:14 am »
+6

I would also like to thank you all for wonderful articles and great games!

On the last Saturday I was at my very first IRL Dominion tournament and I won all 5 rounds, defeating even the reigning champion of my country (Czech Republic)!

I mean...level 30 was nice for me, but see that I can now beat players IRL that I couldn't before is AWESOME!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you all! :)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:01:20 am »
+3

I also finally reached Level 30 the other day!  Was my goal before Isotropic goes down.  Sadly, I've dropped to 29 since, but that's life.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:12 am »
+1

Congrats!

I've only just started my climb towards lvl 20, myself.

Is there a hard date when Iso will be taken down? I only know it's going to be taken down because of threads like this and others where it is mentioned in passing ...

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:13:36 am »

Is there a hard date when Iso will be taken down?

No.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:30:22 pm »

Congrats! I kinda wanted to do this when I hit 30 originally.

I've fluctuated up and down since peaking at level 32 (I may have hit higher, but I forget). However, I think I play a lot better—or at least have a greater understanding of the game—(as a level 28) than when I was ranked that highly. My play style has changed drastically since then, though. Primarily because I had some epiphanies regarding end game strategies, and engine building, but the learning process often involves trying out new things and then losing with them, which dropped my level significantly. When I want it I still have a strong big money game (which is what got me to 32 originally), but rounding myself out and learning how to switch between strategies and gauge when engines will beat big money and vice versa is more fun, and I think more useful to developing myself as a player overall.

Edit: I guess the advice I'm giving is keep yourself open to learning and don't worry too much about protecting your level. In the end it's just a number (and besides these numbers will be wiped and we'll all be starting from scratch soon anyways)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:33:45 pm by Jorbles »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:58:35 pm »
+2

Congrats!

I think the community here has done an excellent job of raising everyone's level of play, and as a result, has made playing on isotropic even more fun!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

Speaking of attention whoring, has there ever been a (non-cheating) level 48 on isotropic? I can't remember seeing one, and I've looked at the leaderboard on most days for the last 10 months.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:04 pm »

Well, I don't think the guy who almost exclusively played low level players was technically cheating, but I don't remember his name or how high he was in ranking.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »

Speaking of attention whoring, has there ever been a (non-cheating) level 48 on isotropic? I can't remember seeing one, and I've looked at the leaderboard on most days for the last 10 months.

yup. jonts26 did it back in november.  he was at 48 for four days just before doug changed the leaderboard for a few weeks. 
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »

Anyways, it's still a pretty strong feat to reach 48. Keep it up!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »

yup. jonts26 did it back in november.  he was at 48 for four days just before doug changed the leaderboard for a few weeks. 

Rats! Here I was hoping I might be breaking a record soon. Guess lvl 50 is a cooler goal anyway :)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »

Is there a theoretical (or actual) upper bound to a level, based on the mathematics in the formula?  (Not that I have ANY hope of getting there).

Probably there it can't get higher than the $MAX_DOUBLE of the machine it's calculated...

It should just get (faster than) exponentially hard to climb up the levels, because it's modelled as a Gaussian with mean 25 and variance in a way that 99.8% lie below 50. So if you want to get above, you either need more people in the system, so that it is more likely for one of them to actually get so high, or you must play really really often and win really really really often to get high.

Edit: And the 50 is the actual skill, not the very very conservative estimate of the 99.8%-quantile.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:14:32 pm by DStu »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »

Rats! Here I was hoping I might be breaking a record soon. Guess lvl 50 is a cooler goal anyway :)

My highest was on Nov 22. Level 48.965. I was really hoping to hit 49. Then I had a bad day.
http://bggdl.square7.ch/leaderboard/leaderboard-2011-11-22.html

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »

Not bad at all jonts, not bad at all :)

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 01:37:15 pm »

Wait...are you saying that I can look at the old leaderboards??? THAT IS SO COOL!!!

BtW: While exploring this, I ran into a level 49 - http://bggdl.square7.ch/leaderboard/leaderboard-2011-10-19.html It might be a cheat though...

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »

Wait...are you saying that I can look at the old leaderboards??? THAT IS SO COOL!!!

BtW: While exploring this, I ran into a level 49 - http://bggdl.square7.ch/leaderboard/leaderboard-2011-10-19.html It might be a cheat though...
Yeah, that's one of the cheats.  Only played Masq/Goons/KC boards.  And once he got the rank, he only played one game a week against a fake account.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 01:40:59 pm »

Oh Paralyzed.

Currently only games with random kingdoms count towards the leaderboard. This wasn't always so. Paralyzed used the same KC/Goons/Masquerade pin against unsuspecting opponents to get an absurdly high win rate. So yeah, he was gaming the leaderboard pretty heavily.

EDIT: ninj'd

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 01:48:47 pm »

Cool. I didn't know the old leaderboards were kept. I got to lvl 47 and I think with the least number of games played:
http://bggdl.square7.ch/leaderboard/leaderboard-2012-01-19.html

Then WW started posting his vids and the word on Big Money dominating a huge percentage of games was out... (just kidding...maybe...)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 02:21:15 pm »

Ugh, yeah. I'm having a dreadful week, but at least some of it is that people are a lot better now......

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

I can't figure out how to view older versions of the leaderboard. Could someone help me out? I would love to see my all time high which must have been sometime during late 2010 or early 2011.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:49 pm »

levels...pfff...mean skill is the thing guys, level is for noobs :-)

Unlucky, that I didnt reach the 60,0 mark some time ago, only got to 59,7 (before my match against RisingJaguar).

Some weeks ago Dekker had a skill over 60, but +-23 deviation :D

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 05:00:04 am »
+1

48.100, I'm coming for you jonts!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.