Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: the Mississippi Queen - a weird game  (Read 1953 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
the Mississippi Queen - a weird game
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:30:56 am »
+2

I'd like to receive some opinions about this game. I considered posting this in the Help! board, but while I definitely would do with some help here, I think it's an interesting enough board to be here. :)

Kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Ferry, Ball, Coin of the Realm, Shanty Town, Militia, Navigator, Spy, Worker's Village, Rabble, Royal Carriage, Swamp Hag, Hireling
Log:
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160523/log.0.1464000691920.txt

Ok, so, a Swamp Hag Kingdom with no trashing, multiple buys, an Engine on board, Royal Carriage, Ball and Ferry. I'm pretty proud of the title of this thread.

Neither of us is willing to take the curses, so we do a weird game of ferrying stuff and then Balling it in. I win the Royal Carriage split 7-3, sacrificing draw, and the game punishes me by letting him have two Swampless windows to buy Provinces, while I only got one. (actually, I got another and didn't take it!)

With the three pile around the corner, I hope he'll dud next turn and buy two Provinces (and 6 Curses come for free), tieing him.
My opponent had a guaranteed 8 in next turn (9 from Swampies -1 from Ball), and my desperate hope was that he wouldn't gather the 4 coins and the buy to get the last Worker's village. As a matter of fact, he did, but didn't see the forced win, which I took one turn later. With 8 new dead cards, my deck sucked, but Swamp Hag's money was enough there.

What would you do?
Also, how would you deal with the end game? I'm pretty sure there was a better solution than mine.

I think my worst tactical error is skipping the Province on turn 13. Hireling was good because I desperately needed reliability, but those -6 points could have cost me the game. So, probably I should have Ferried the Hireling and gotten them the "usual" way, instead getting a Province there?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:01:02 am by Accatitippi »

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
Re: the Mississippi Queen - a weird game
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:48:38 am »
+3

The link to the log doesn't match the game you describe.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:00 am »

The link to the log doesn't match the game you describe.

I fixed it, thanks.
Apparently, pasting a log address in the Prettifier's bar doesn't change the main address bar, so I had to fuse the links it by hand. :)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:27:49 am »
+4

The desire to win splits comes natural to all Dominion players, but very often it isn't the best Advisor.

Here you should get more draw earlier. All those Royal Carriages... the problem isn't that they're bad, but they're not good enough.
Add a lot of Rabbles/Hirelings. Start playing with a larger part of your deck every turn. 
It's much better to have a few Royal Carriages and play them every turn than to have a lot of them with the majority unused in your draw pile. (this isn't specific to Royal Carriage)
Also add a Militia, that certainly isn't a bad card if you can play it every turn.

How to play the endgame will depend a lot on what opportunities arise, but buying double Province when they'res accompanied by three curses each can't be the right move.
Note that some Balls on double Estate is the same amount of points for less junk.

In general I expect you should green very late on this board, and get quite some Hirelings to prepare. Rabble already does that, and Swamp Hag pushes it even further.
Join the Dominion League!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:36:49 am »
+1

The desire to win splits comes natural to all Dominion players, but very often it isn't the best Advisor.

Here you should get more draw earlier. All those Royal Carriages... the problem isn't that they're bad, but they're not good enough.
Add a lot of Rabbles/Hirelings. Start playing with a larger part of your deck every turn. 
It's much better to have a few Royal Carriages and play them every turn than to have a lot of them with the majority unused in your draw pile. (this isn't specific to Royal Carriage)
Also add a Militia, that certainly isn't a bad card if you can play it every turn.

How to play the endgame will depend a lot on what opportunities arise, but buying double Province when they'res accompanied by three curses each can't be the right move.
Note that some Balls on double Estate is the same amount of points for less junk.

In general I expect you should green very late on this board, and get quite some Hirelings to prepare. Rabble already does that, and Swamp Hag pushes it even further.

Thank you for the advice! I wouldn't normally go so heavily into a non-drawing pile so early, but here the opportunity cost of moving the Ferry around tipped me WAY over.  ;D'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:13 pm »
+1

I agree with Stef here, too many Royal Carriages, not enough draw. It is also excellent that you saw your lack of draw when you wrote your game report. Adaptability and seeing past mistakes are the best ways to get better.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »
+1

I would have put the Ferry first on Rabble and try to Ball some early Rabbles and WVs. I then would probably put the token on Hireling. Ball a couple of those and then proceed to get Royal Carriages and Swamp Hag. Ball mitigates the cursing of Swamp Hag, so it's potentially possible to delay getting it until you need payload.

Anyway, looking at the board, it seems quite complex.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.