(This thread is locked. If you have comments please post them here)I. League Structure
Each League season lasts for 5 weeks, and is followed by a 2 week break. Players are divided into groups of at most 6 players. Groups are arranged in tiered divisions. There is a single A group and two B groups. C and D divisions have a maximum of 4 and 8 groups, but may have less groups depending on the number of players available. There is also an E division available for beginner players.
At the end of the season the players with 1st place ranks promote to the next level, while players ranked 5th or 6th place demote. II. Match Structure
Each player will play one match with each other player in their division. Matches consist of 6 games, with each player going first 3 times. The League recommends playing pro games until one player has been first player 3 times, and then switching to unrated games as restarting my be required to get the correct starting player for the remaining games. Each player is receives 1 point for each game they won, and 0.5 points for each tie for that match.
The League standard is to play games on Dominion Online with VP tracking enabled with the player who owns the most cards hosting randomly generated kingdoms. These standards should be followed for all games unless both players agree to alternate arrangements. (Games may be played without VP tracking, in person, with modified kingdom selection options, ect., but both players must consent.) If you wish to make arrangements that differ from the league standard, you should make this clear to your opponent when scheduling your match.
The League suggests completing all 6 games of a match on the same day, but this is not required. When scheduling, keep in mind that a matches typically take 1.5-2 hours. After completing a match one of the players should post the result in the results thread as soon as possible. If a match is started, but not completed, the partial result, including the number of times each player has gone first should be posted in the Partial Results
thread. When the match is completed, the partial result should be removed.III. Standings
During the season, the standings for each group will be updated as players complete matches. The players in each group will be ranked based on the average number of points they have received in each match. Ties are broken in the following order.
- Number of total points from matches between the tied players
- The sum of the number of points received in each match multiplied by the total score of the opponent from that match.
- Coin Flip
At the end of the season, players who place 1st in their groups will promote to the next higher division, and players who place 5th and 6th will demote to the next lower division. (e.g. the players who place 5th and 6th in the A group will demote to the B division, and the players who place first in B1 and B2 groups will promote to the A division to take their places.) Players in the E division, are not required to promote to the D division unless they wish to; similarly, Players in the D division will not demote to E unless they wish to. (However, the League may require a player to promote from E or remain in the D group if the player's ability is not in line with the E division.)IV. Joining, and Leaving
You're not required to own any cards in order to sign up, and who owns what will not have any influence on how players are placed into groups.
When a player joins for the first time, they are placed in a division based on the availability of spots and their rating on the Isotropish Leaderboard.
At the end of each season, players must indicate if they intend to stay in the league, or leave for the next season. You will not automatically re-enter the next season without specifying your preference. Please indicate whether you intend to return for the next season or not in the results thread before the end of the season.
Available spots that are created when players leave the league will be filled with players in the following order:
- Players who left the league after a prior season are inserted at the level they previously earned.
- Players who are joining for the first time, or who we were unable to place based on criteria #1 will be inserted into groups as best as possible based on their rating on the Isotropish leaderbard
- Promoting the player or players who had the best score in their division among those who placed 2nd.
- Skipping demotion of the player or players who had the best score in their division among those who placed 5th.
A suggested schedule will be posted in your group's scheduling thread with a specific player to play each week. There is no requirement to follow the suggested schedule, but it is recommended not to fall behind the one match per week pace. Each group will be assigned a league moderator. If you have any scheduling issues, or if your opponent does not show up for a scheduled match, please inform your moderator.
If you are placed in a group with a player you are close friends with, please schedule your match as early as possible in the season to eliminate any temptation for collusion. You can also inform a league moderator if you anticipate this type of issue and the League will make an effort to place you in separate groups.VI. Playing Competitively
All players in the league are expected to complete all of their matches as competitively as possible. There are times when it may appear that your remaining games cannot effect your standings, but this is very seldom the case. The average points per player in a full group each season is 15, and 6 points are at stake in each match. In some groups, the difference between 1st and 6th place has been less than 2 points at the end of the season. Even if your personal promotion/demotion status is guaranteed, it is still not acceptable to complete games non-competitively. It is possible for the result of any match to determine the fate of another player by way of the 2nd tiebreaker points. It is unfair to other players in your group if you do not complete your matches properly. Players who are found to have forfeited games or matches, colluded with other players, or posted results that were non-competitive in other ways may be banned from the league for up to 4 Seasons depending on the severity of the offense. Repeat offenders may receive a longer ban period or be permanently banned from the league. If anyone suggests recording a result that you feel is in violation of this policy, please report it to your League moderator immediately.VII. Incomplete Games
If a game unexpectedly ends because either Dominion Online breaks down or one of the players accidentally disconnects (internet connection lost, computer crashes, ...) please use the following guidelines.
- Discuss the game together with your opponent. Was the game completely open, or was either player ahead? And if there was a lead, was it small, significant or almost insurmountable?
- Based on the players assessment of the game, you may chose one of the following options.
- If you decide game was even or the lead was small, simply replay the game.
- If you decide one player had a strong lead, report this game as 0.75-0.25 in favor of the leading player.
- If you decide one player had a very significant lead, then that player should be awarded a win for that game.
VIII. Dropping Players Mid-Season
- We know that arbitrating this process with your opponent may be scary. Determining the state of a Dominion match is not a very scientific process especially when the players that have to make these decisions are competing. An ideal result is not possible when disconnects are involved, and there is no expectation of a perfect outcome. The purpose of this process is to give clear guidelines for players to adhere to when resolving the situation. If you really feel like you were ahead, and your opponent feels the same, then you are entitled to some equity and this process attempts to provide that.
- Please know that in coming to an agreement may require one player to lose some equity. E.g. If you estimate there you have a 5% chance to win a game, then resigning it due to a disconnect may not feel great because you have given up a chance you had to win that game. It's still the most fair option, because 5% is a lot closer to nothing than to 25%. We do not allow match results more precise than 0.75/0.25 because estimating win chances in these situations is very imprecise.
- If you and your opponent cannot come to an agreement about the game state, you can chose to defer the decision to your group moderator. Your moderator won't enjoy making this decision for you, so please make every possible effort to come to an agreement with your opponent. Both players should post their thoughts on the game state in their group's thread and which result they think is best before sending a message to the group moderator. Make only one post with your opinion. There will not be any extended discussion about the game The group moderator will make a decision based on the players statements and their own evaluation of the game. This decision could be a win/loss, replay, or 0.75/0.25. The moderator may also issue a tie if scheduling a replay is not possible.
Players dropping out during the season has a significant negative impact on their group. Unfortunately sometimes must drop out, or become inactive and are have to be removed by the moderators. It is difficult to deal with matches that have been played by a player who has dropped because the matches they have played and have failed to play can have significant impacts on the group standings. The following rules are used for dropped players:
- If the removed player has not played any matches, they are simply removed and the remaining players in the group will play one less game.
- If the removed player has played exactly 1 match, the match result is voided, and the remaining players will play one less game.
- If they've played more than 1 match the results will be retained in the standings unless there are other reasons to void those results (e.g. If there is evidence suggesting that the dropped player purposefully threw games prior to dropping. This very rarely happens and is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The group moderator will have the final decision such a situation.)
Players who who become inactive and are removed by the moderating team will be banned from participation in the next 2 League Seasons. If a player needs to drop from the league for personal reasons, they should inform their moderator as promptly as possible. If a player is in good standing with the League (i.e. has played in prior seasons without drops or scheduling issues) The ban period may be reduced or eliminated per the moderating team's discretion.