Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 3p - The disappearing attack  (Read 4243 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
3p - The disappearing attack
« on: May 21, 2016, 04:25:29 pm »

This is an easy one.

3p game: Alice, Bob, Carol

Alice plays an attack card.
Bob and Carol would be affected by Alice's attack card.
Bob plays a non-attack card.
Bob is affected by Alice's attack card.
Something happens.
Carol is not affected by Alice's attack anymore.

Hint:
Bob did NOT play one of the following cards: Council Room, Duchess, Governor, Masquerade

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: 3p - The disappearing attack
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »

Isn't the third character usually Eve? At least, it is with cryptography and internet security.

Bob plays Duplicates on a Curse gain from Witch so that there are no more cards to get when it is Carol's turn to get one.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:45:43 pm »
+1

Isn't the third character usually Eve? At least, it is with cryptography and internet security.

Eve is the evil role in cryptographic examples. There are some cases where Carol has a role, e. g. in secret sharing.

Bob plays Duplicates on a Curse gain from Witch so that there are no more cards to get when it is Carol's turn to get one.

Nice solution, but this is not correct. Note that Bob can play (not call!) a card, before he is affected by Alice's attack.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:06:18 pm »

Okay, here is another solution.

Alice plays Swamp Hag, Bob buys (and gains!) the last Curses. Carol will now be unaffected by any purchases.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:14:40 pm »

Okay, here is another solution.

Alice plays Swamp Hag, Bob buys (and gains!) the last Curses. Carol will now be unaffected by any purchases.

My solution was similar:
Alice plays Swamp Hag. Bob plays Possession. Bob buys any card and gains a Curse. Possessed Alice discards the Swamp Hag.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:18:58 pm »
+1

I was just about to type the Possession solution, though it needed no Swamp Hag specifically, or any Curse buying. That Solution also covers Enchantress (assuming Bob has a Cantrip as well), and Haunted Woods.

Another idea would be (though this involves no card playing) is Bob simply taking the last Curse from a Torturer.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:20:24 pm by Seprix »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 09:57:41 pm »
+3

Bob plays a Caravan Guard, Carol reveals a Moat.

Or more succinctly, is it Moat?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 07:46:54 pm »
+3

Alice played Swindler, Bob played Caravan Guard in response, so he drew a card. This changed the top card of his deck, so that when Alice's Swindler hit it trashed his Peddler, and since the Peddler pile was empty he gained a Province. In response, Carol revealed Fool's Gold, gaining the last Gold in the supply on top of her deck. Alice's Swindler then trashed that Gold, but there was nothing for her to gain in return.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »

Alice played Swindler, Bob played Caravan Guard in response, so he drew a card. This changed the top card of his deck, so that when Alice's Swindler hit it trashed his Peddler, and since the Peddler pile was empty he gained a Province. In response, Carol revealed Fool's Gold, gaining the last Gold in the supply on top of her deck. Alice's Swindler then trashed that Gold, but there was nothing for her to gain in return.

Wow.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »

Carol is still affected by the attack; she lost a Gold.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »

I agree it's not a perfect solution, although I'd point out that in net terms she only lost a Fool's Gold compared to what she had before the attack was played. I've been trying to come up with something better but have not yet found a way to meet all the requirements of the puzzle.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:51:44 pm »

An alternative idea ...

Alice played Haunted Woods. Bob, on his turn, played Vault. Bob did not discard all of his cards, while Carol discarded her dead cards and drew something she could play. Bob bought a card, putting his hand back on his deck, then on Carol's turn she bought a card but had no hand to put back.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 10:04:55 pm »

I agree it's not a perfect solution, although I'd point out that in net terms she only lost a Fool's Gold compared to what she had before the attack was played. I've been trying to come up with something better but have not yet found a way to meet all the requirements of the puzzle.

Could use this solution, but not have the Gold pile be empty, and Carol has a Watchtower in hand? She is sort of effected in that she got to react Fool's Gold, but that isn't really "attack-like".

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:22 am »

Could use this solution, but not have the Gold pile be empty, and Carol has a Watchtower in hand? She is sort of effected in that she got to react Fool's Gold, but that isn't really "attack-like".
But then whatever card she has on top gets trashed and replaced by Swindler.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 12:31:13 am »

But then whatever card she has on top gets trashed and replaced by Swindler.

No, I mean do everything the same, but the Golds aren't empty and there isn't another $6 option. So she reacts Fool's Gold, gains a Gold on top, it gets hit with Swindler, is replaced with a new Gold, and then she reacts Watchtower to put the new one back on top where the first one was.

Edit: I think my comment was unclear.  I said "not have the Gold pile be empty" by which I meant it starts with more than 1 card so it doesn't empty when Fool's Gold is reacted.  I think you might have missed the 'not' because it wasn't phrased very well.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:33:31 am by Deadlock39 »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:37 am »

Ah, I see. Yes, that does kind of make sense.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.