Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Has anybody ever tried implementing a rotating supply like Ascension?  (Read 3191 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile

(If you don't play Ascension, the "kingdom" has only one card per pile, with a random new card dealt each time a card leaves the supply.)

I imagine the variance would frustrate many players here, but I like weird things like that once in a while.  Off the top of my head, you might run into mechanical issues with cards that interact with the supply, or copy things, but it wouldn't be TOO hard to implement on a basic level I'd think.  Thoughts?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile

(If you don't play Ascension, the "kingdom" has only one card per pile, with a random new card dealt each time a card leaves the supply.)

I imagine the variance would frustrate many players here, but I like weird things like that once in a while.  Off the top of my head, you might run into mechanical issues with cards that interact with the supply, or copy things, but it wouldn't be TOO hard to implement on a basic level I'd think.  Thoughts?

Interesting idea.  It would be like a perpetual Black Market deck.  The one problem that I can see is that eventually you'd end up with 10 dud cards in the Supply, so you'd never be able to build a strong engine.  With Black Market, at least you get to look at new cards every turn.

One way to fix it would be to automatically return the leftmost card after each turn, whether anyone bought something or not, and shift cards over to replace it.  All new cards would be dealt from the right whether they were triggered by someone buying a card or by the end of a turn.  That way all the weak cards would be replaced by stronger ones over time.  Events could count as part of the 10 cards and only be available until they disappeared.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
+2

Man, if you're only wanting tactics, don't try to get it by Ascensionizing Dominion.  Play Ascension instead.  Or Star Realms.  The cards in those games are more homogeneous than Dominion cards so that you're never stuck with six duds.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
+1

I don't think that there is anything wrong with trying this out and it is not even that difficult to do so why don't you try it out?

I am pretty sure though that it would end up as what I would consider a random mess. Black Market games are already too swingy for my taste. If there is no trasher/junker in the Kingdom and somebody gets an early trasher/junker via Black Market the game is often already over.
Star Realms and Ascension are not so sensitive to the presence of individual cards which is why they work better than a hypothetical Randominion. For example in Star Realms the likelihood of winning while being the only player with scrappers/trashers is far smaller than in Dominion.

For a less radical implementation of this idea take a look at convolucid's Crop Rotation.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs

If I were to do a rotating supply, each pile would be similar cost cards, and any "gain another copy" would instead refer to "the next card in the pile"

But I probably wouldn't play a game like that.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
+2

I'm not gonna go look for the threads, but this has been discussed at least a couple times already. One of the things that makes Dominion such a great game is the simple fact that everyone has access to the same cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
+10

There you go!

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
+1

There you go!

That'd actually be really helpful for multi-player games!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile

Counter-suggestion: Tech-tree dominion would be cool though. (everyone has access to the same tech tree)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
+1

Counter-suggestion: Tech-tree dominion would be cool though. (everyone has access to the same tech tree)

You mean like Travellers, Spoils, Madmen, Prizes?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile

You mean like Travellers, Spoils, Madmen, Prizes?

Kind of, but what I was driving at is that the "DXV Variety Mechanic" would apply to the tech tree relationships themselves, as opposed to those fixed relationships seen on other cards.

So some games you can't buy King's Court until after you've bought at least one Cache, and maybe it's hard to tell if that's worth it.  Next game, you can't buy a Bridge until you've bought at least one Duchess, and since it's a Fishing Village/Smithy board it's pretty easy to tell that that's worth it, but at least everyone has access to the same deal, unlike concerns some people have with OP.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
+2

Tech tree variant:
To play, you will need 13 "tech" tokens per player.
Setup the Kingdom with 13 Kingdom cards (14 with Young Witch) and up to 2 Events\Landmarks as shown below, observing the order in which cards are drawn:

ROW 3:K10K11K12K13
E2
ROW 2:K5K6K7K8K9
E1
ROW 1:
K1
K2
K3
K4
KBane
  • When a player gains a Kingdom card from a pile where he does not have one of his tech tokens placed on it, he places one of his tech tokens on its Supply pile.
  • Players may freely gain cards from row 1.
  • In order to gain a card from row 2, you must have a tech token placed on any one of the cards from row 1 diagonally below it (e.g., can gain K5 and K6 if you have tech tokens on K1).
  • In order to gain a card from row 3, you must have tech tokens placed on at least two of the cards from row 2 diagonally below it or from row 3 adjacent to it (e.g., can gain K10 if you have tech tokens on any 2 of K5, K6, and K11).
  • When you buy a card from row 3, you may additionally pay $1 to put it on top of your deck.
  • In order to buy an Event, you must have at least one tech token placed on that row (e.g., can buy E1 if you have tech tokens on any one of K5, K6, K7, K8, or K9).
  • Landmarks will have effect regardless of whether a player has any tech tokens placed on that row.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.