Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some Cards Based on Enterprise  (Read 1657 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Some Cards Based on Enterprise
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:15:42 pm »

Since it is, IMO, the best fan expansion I've ever seen, I've decided to make a couple of cards based on LastFootnote's Enterprise expansion, which you can look at right here.

Barter:
$1
+1 Buy
When you play this, spend any number of Trade tokens. All cards cost $1 less per Trade token spent.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Take a Trade token for every $1 you overpaid.
Cost: $4+
Treasure

Barter 2.0
$1
+1 Buy
When you play this, spend any number of Trade tokens. All cards cost $1 less per Trade token spent. If you didn't spend any, take a Trade token.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, take a Trade token for every $1 you overpaid.
Treasure

Barracks:
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Gain an Armament from the Armament pile.
Cost: $5
Action

Before anybody states that this is strictly better than Bladesmith (from the original expansion), Bladesmith puts the gained Armament into hand. This doesn't.

Bribe:
+1 Buy
+$2
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, take two Trade tokens.

When one of your cards is trashed, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, spend a Trade token. If you do, choose one: Put the trashed card back into your hand; or gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.
Action - Reaction
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:44:35 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Some Cards Based on Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:11:09 pm »
+1

I'm glad you like the mechanics!

Here are my thoughts on these specific cards.

Barter:
$1
+1 Buy
When you play this, spend any number of Trade tokens. All cards cost $1 less per Trade token spent.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. Take a Trade token for every $1 you overpaid.
Treasure

The concept (overpaying for Trade tokens that can then be used when you play the card) has been suggested before. I think it's a fine concept. I honestly have no idea how this specific version of that concept would play out, though obviously the question to ask is, "How easy and common are the megaturns?" Really the limiting factor is +Buy, but once you have enough of that, I bet you can buy a few of these and then pretty easily run out the Provinces. Heck this itself gives +1 Buy! So I'm not optimistic, but it's really hard to know how it works in practice.

Barracks:
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Gain an Armament from the Armament pile.
Action

Reminds me of some of the old versions of Bladesmith (which was originally called Barracks and gained Conscripts).

So this is a lot like Bandit Camp. Obviously it's different because Spoils is different than Armament. But you know, it's very similar. If I had to have more than 3 Armament cards, I'd probably consider something like this, though I might try to make it more different than Bandit Camp. For Enterprise itself, I'm happy having Bladesmith, Profiteer, and some not-yet-created card that gains you an Armament when trashed.

Bribe:
+1 Buy
+$2
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, take two Trade tokens.

When one of your cards is trashed, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, spend a Trade token. If you do, choose one: Put the trashed card back into your hand; or gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.
Action - Reaction

I think this concept of gaining tokens on play and using them as a Reaction has also been suggested. Um. Having the card in your hand is already one hoop to jump through to use the Reaction, and then the token is another one. Maybe the effect is powerful enough for that to work, not sure. In general I am worried about this letting you Remodel Province into Province and keep your original Province. Seems nuts.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:58:00 am »

Barter is too weak in too many situations.
It is just a Peasant and to make it match its costs and work like a Bridge you already gotta pay a Trade token. Bridge is so good because it is a potential terminal Gold with an extra buy but even if you do not buy two cards it is at least a terminal silver. This is why it works in many Kingdoms and is often bought early.

Barter on the other hand probably only works as an endgame card, to set up one megaturn. It is basically a quasi one-shot. But even then the opportunity costs are high and I guess that in many situations you'd rather buy a Province than massively overpay for Barter. As LFN has pointed out, you most likely need other sources of extra buys to set up the megaturn so the marginal benefit of a Barter with a bunch of Trade tokens is limited.
Other typical megaturn cards like Highway work decently during the middlegame whereas Barter does not.

Of course all of this analysis is moot if there are other cards in the Kingdom which gain Trade tokens.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 05:53:11 am »

Barter:
$1
+1 Buy

Treasure

The concept (overpaying for Trade tokens that can then be used when you play the card) has been suggested before. I think it's a fine concept. I honestly have no idea how this specific version of that concept would play out, though obviously the question to ask is, "How easy and common are the megaturns?" Really the limiting factor is +Buy, but once you have enough of that, I bet you can buy a few of these and then pretty easily run out the Provinces. Heck this itself gives +1 Buy! So I'm not optimistic, but it's really hard to know how it works in practice.

I'm guessing it does what it says on the tin, and becomes "Trade token Masterpiece". Given that Masterpiece itself is throttled by loading your deck with Silvers, rather than granting coin tokens, this might be too beastly...

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:42:20 am »

Barter is too weak in too many situations.
It is just a Peasant and to make it match its costs and work like a Bridge you already gotta pay a Trade token. Bridge is so good because it is a potential terminal Gold with an extra buy but even if you do not buy two cards it is at least a terminal silver. This is why it works in many Kingdoms and is often bought early.

Barter on the other hand probably only works as an endgame card, to set up one megaturn. It is basically a quasi one-shot. But even then the opportunity costs are high and I guess that in many situations you'd rather buy a Province than massively overpay for Barter. As LFN has pointed out, you most likely need other sources of extra buys to set up the megaturn so the marginal benefit of a Barter with a bunch of Trade tokens is limited.
Other typical megaturn cards like Highway work decently during the middlegame whereas Barter does not.

Of course all of this analysis is moot if there are other cards in the Kingdom which gain Trade tokens.

You do realize that Barter is a Treasure card, correct? I am going to modify it a bit, though.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.