Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Adventures card quality  (Read 9946 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Adventures card quality
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:51:10 am »

Hidey ho. I'm so out of touch here that it was a complete surprise to see Empires preview. I haven't even bought Adventures yet.

And that's why I'm posting. I should buy Adventures. Prior to that set, I bought each new expansion within the first 2 weeks of it coming out. I held off on Adventures because of what I heard about the card quality. When I played a couple of games with a friend's set, I could tell the difference. I decided to wait it out and buy a later printing when the card quality is brought in line with the rest of the game.

So has this happened? Are later printings indistinguishable from the other sets? If there is a difference, how can I tell which printing I am looking for?

I suspect that after this snafu, the Empires set will be of consistent quality. So, I'm looking forward to buying Dominion cards again. I really need to get some games going.
A man has no signature

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures card quality
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »
+2

Others probably have more details, but here's what I been told about these things.  There hasn't been a fixed printing of Adventures yet because the earlier printings haven't sold out.  It may be some time before there is such a printing because a lot of people made the same buying decision you did and, as a consequence, there are still plenty of copied available.  Kind of a catch-22 there.  With Empire, steps have indeed been taken to address the previous quality problems so it shouldn't be a issue.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:43:12 am »

That's unfortunate but understandable. Thanks for the insight.

Question for those who've owned Adventures for a while without sleeving cards: Do your Adventure cards wear enough that they become indistinguishable from the other sets?
A man has no signature

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:49:41 am »
+1

Question for those who've owned Adventures for a while without sleeving cards: Do your Adventure cards wear enough that they become indistinguishable from the other sets?
I haven't even noticed different card quality  :P
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:55:48 am »

To my eyes they have worn more quickly than my other sets cards.  Which is not ideal.  But in terms of distinguishing, yeah there's no huge issue.  You can tell from comparing side by side but I'd say it has already become sufficiently hard to identify the set of the top card of your deck without something else to compare with.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »

me neither. (but I sleeve all my cards, so that might make a difference)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:20:38 pm »

My cards are sleeved. I can easily tell when someone is drawing an Adventures card.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 02:47:12 am »
+7

My cards are sleeved. I can easily tell when someone is drawing an Adventures card.

Then you should tell them to stop squealing in excitement every time they draw one. I mean, there's Empires for that.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 10:10:33 am »

There must be huge variation from set to set then, because mine are sleeved and I can't even tell when I'm drawing Adventures cards.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:55:21 am »
+1

There was a lot of variation. The cards were a bit lighter overall, but some packs were definitely worse than others.  I had some of mine replaced, and there were definitely some that were more noticeable than others.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »

Yes, my backs are super light. The difference is very noticeable.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 04:12:16 pm »

I don't think that particular issue is widespread.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 08:51:21 am »

same

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 11:59:59 am »

same

Same here are well

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:22:28 pm »

same

Same here are well

Ive been running opaque back sleeves for a year now to mitigate this. I wish the cards could be exchanged or something. I filled out RGG's contact form once I got the game with pictures of the discrepancies and never heard back.

I remember playing a game where my -Card token was on my deck and I had to decide between Magpie and not Magpie. One quick glance at the top of my deck and I couldn't un-see that it was an Adventures card on top. It's not like once you know that information you can ignore it.

Really I just wish the only opaque black sleeves in existence for Euro cards weren't cheap garbage. I want to use the thicker Fantasy Flight sleeves or whatever that brand is called, but they are only available in clear back...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 12:27:14 pm »

same

Same here are well

Ive been running opaque back sleeves for a year now to mitigate this. I wish the cards could be exchanged or something. I filled out RGG's contact form once I got the game with pictures of the discrepancies and never heard back.

I remember playing a game where my -Card token was on my deck and I had to decide between Magpie and not Magpie. One quick glance at the top of my deck and I couldn't un-see that it was an Adventures card on top. It's not like once you know that information you can ignore it.

Really I just wish the only opaque black sleeves in existence for Euro cards weren't cheap garbage. I want to use the thicker Fantasy Flight sleeves or whatever that brand is called, but they are only available in clear back...

It is a crummy solution, but you could use the nicer sleeves and then slide opaque paper in behind each card. (as if everything wasn't too heavy already.)

I thought RGG had sent out replacements for the miscolored backs. I got some replacements due to the off center cuts. Fortunately, I can only tell the color difference when they are side by side.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:34:34 pm »

Seconded
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:43 pm »

I thought RGG had sent out replacements for the miscolored backs. I got some replacements due to the off center cuts. Fortunately, I can only tell the color difference when they are side by side.

I suppose that's my follow-up question. Is it possible to get a replacement if the copy I open is noticeably different from the other cards?
A man has no signature

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 10:54:42 pm »
+2

I suppose that's my follow-up question. Is it possible to get a replacement if the copy I open is noticeably different from the other cards?
It's not my call and I don't really know the answer.

If you find that your cards are noticeably miscut, I believe RGG always replaces those. If you don't like how bendy they are, say you want them replaced, see what happens. If you know you're going to want bendy cards replaced, wait; someday there will be non-bendy ones. If they're miscolored, well I have no information there.

In general all new cards are marked, due to lack of wear, whether you sleeve or not (unless you resleeve everything when getting a new set). That's not me providing an excuse for the people blowing it on the printing; just putting it into perspective.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 09:09:52 am »

I do not have card sleeves (READ: too lazy to put them on), but am obsessed with keeping my cards and boxing is as close to mint condition as possible while using them a lot. We could create a poll "Yes/No the quality of my Adventures cards was lower than for other expansions I bought.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:17 am »
+2

Well, I think "the quality of my Adventures cards was lower than for other expansions I bought." is true for 100% of people unless maybe they have only bought the reprints of some of the early sets that ran into the same issues.

The real question is whether the quality is "noticeably" lower/different, and unfortunately that is very subjective.

The "bendy-ness" is absolutely different on 100% of Adventures cards that exist today. I am sure anyone can tell the difference if they closely inspect the cards. Can you tell the difference when you are shuffling though? Maybe... depends on how you shuffle.  You better not be able to tell the difference with my cards, because they are sleeved, and if you bend them, you will get on my bad list.

The coloring is another thing, but also subjective. I posted some pictures of mine somewhere around here when I got them, and you could for sure tell which cards were which by looking at the pictures, but it isn't super obvious, and I don't think it is something that will be casually noticed during a game with my cards.  Some others posted pictures of light colored backs that were much more obvious (Chris is me I think).

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:50 am »

The bendiness thing doesn't really impact gameplay much for me, and it's very difficult to notice once the cards are on sleeves. If you TRY to cheat you can use it to identify Adventures cards yeah, but I'm assuming people aren't trying to cheat and do that sort of thing, just like they aren't looking at minute differences in the backs or card wear.

I'm honestly considering just buying a new set of Adventures cards, eventually a new one of every card, so I can have unworn cards in good sleeves. But man that's money, and maybe I should be a reasonable person and live with either opaque sleeves of shit quality or discoloration on some key cards.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »

I do not have card sleeves (READ: too lazy to put them on)...

Sleeving your cards probably won't be as bad as you think .  I started playing a little after Guilds was released and I had all of the expansions before I sleeved anything.  I thought it was going to be this agonizing, day-long project, but it really wasn't.  Just make sure you have the space and organization so that when you start sleeving you can get in a rhythm.  Minimizing stops and starts is key.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 12:33:03 pm »

Sleeving your cards probably won't be as bad as you think .  I started playing a little after Guilds was released and I had all of the expansions before I sleeved anything.  I thought it was going to be this agonizing, day-long project, but it really wasn't.  Just make sure you have the space and organization so that when you start sleeving you can get in a rhythm.  Minimizing stops and starts is key.
Seconded. Sleeving all of the cards does not take that long. Throw on a movie or a couple episodes of a show and you are golden.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 12:40:15 pm »

Seconded. Sleeving all of the cards does not take that long. Throw on a movie or a couple episodes of a show and you are golden.

Yeah, I guess I will get around to it eventually. Still, the cost of the sleeves is equal to at least one more Dominion, and I still don't have Intrigue or Alchemy.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.