Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Preview Fan Expansion "Dragonlands"  (Read 5462 times)

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Preview Fan Expansion "Dragonlands"
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:58 am »
+4

Edit:

Hello Dominion Fans. Thank you a lot for your comments. I will try to get some answers and reupload the cards with a better wording I hope. :>

I have all expansions of Dominion and play a lot with my friends. 2015 I started to design some new cards and try to create some new strategies. My first fan expansion I´ve finished was “Dragonlands”. I liked the idea that a lot of actions and carddraws only work with other cards which you hold in your hand. As I started, I tried to create a cool coulour and I found this one you can see. For sure it looks a bit like the “reserve” cards – but it isn´t the same colour :> trust me. All other colours – grey, red, purple etc…didn't look very cool in my eyes. I printed these cards in a printery and finally they looked different to the reserve cards. In this expansion there are not only Dragoncards, there are normal action- , points- and “clean up - cards” which destroy duration and charisma cards..oh carismacards, that’s a new keyword. These are powerful cards which are lying not only one round like durationcards, they are lying all the time. If you want, I can upload an example these days.

So, here now the cards with a better wording – I hope :>
Stay cool! Greetings from Germany! :>

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:31:29 am by Coinside »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Preview Fan Expansion "Dragonlands"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:40:37 am »

Can you put in text form what the card says? I can't see the image.

For example:
Village $3 Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:42:11 am »
+1

You can´t see the image???

Here is a direktlink..can you see it then????

http://i.imgur.com/WvuZUFD.jpg

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:05 am »
+2

Hello Dominion Fans! :)

I´am a fan from Germany. I create some cards if I have freetime. I had an idea for a Fan Expansion. Here is sneak preview, perhaps you like it. I tested them, and it worxx :> (Sorry, if there are some grammar faults :>)

All of these cards are in dire need of wording changes; they're either too confusing or don't hold you accountable (they don't have you show your hand to prove that you have any Dragon cards). Here are my suggestions for most of them:

Dragon Egg:
+1 Card
Reveal your hand. +$1 if you reveal any Dragon cards.
Cost: $1
Action - Dragon

Little Dragon:
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. +$2 if you reveal any Dragon cards.
Cost: $2
Action - Dragon

Armored Drake:
I'm not sure what you meant for this to do, since you don't tell us when we can remove it from your Dragon mat...here's my guess at what you're trying to do, though:

+$1
Choose one: +2 Buys; or put this on your Dragon mat.

In games using this, you are unaffected by other players' Attacks if you have at least 3 Armored Drakes on your Dragon mat.
Action - Dragon

Ancient Dragon:
+1 Card
Reveal your hand. If you revealed at least two Dragon cards, +4 Cards and +1 Action.
Cost: $4
Action - Dragon

Blackhead:
+1 Card
Each other player draws 2 Cards.
Reveal your hand. If you reveal any Dragon cards, each other player reveals his hand and discards a Dragon card that you choose.
Cost: $5
Action - Attack - Dragon

This is way too weak, I think. It helps your opponent as much as them playing a Double Lab, and then it has a powerful discard effect...that only affects Dragons and only triggers if you have Dragons. Have your opponents draw one card and yourself draw two, and make it able to discard all types of cards, and it'll be fine.

White Maw:
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you reveal any Dragon cards, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand sets aside a card from his hand and discards another.
Action - Attack - Dragon

I added the 4 or more cards part so that you couldn't take out other players' turns with multiple plays.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:38:51 am »

A few comments about the formatting and set as a whole:

It's unclear how you intended this to be used. Are these just 6 different regular cards to be used each as Kingdom piles? If so, you need to consider how things will work when one of them by itself is used in a game without other Dragons. For example, Little Dragon is basically just a very weak version of a Silver; and often it will be as bad as a Ruined Village.

In general, it would make sense to have "Dragon" by a type, just like "Knight" or "Traveler" or "Looter".

Instead of "on your hand" for all the cards, it should be "reveal your hand. If you have a ____ in your hand".

You shouldn't have the horizontal line on those cards. The horizontal line is used to separate things that happen at different times. All the effects you list happen when you play the card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:39:04 am »

Armored Drake:
I'm not sure what you meant for this to do, since you don't tell us when we can remove it from your Dragon mat...here's my guess at what you're trying to do, though:

+$1
Put this on your Dragon mat.

In the Buy phase you can call this, +2 Buys
In games using this, you are unaffected by other players' Attacks if you have at least 3 Armored Drakes on your Dragon mat.
Action - Dragon

White Maw:
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you reveal any Dragon cards, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand sets aside a card from his hand and discards another.
During your opponent's Clean-Up he may put the set aside card in his discard pile.
Action - Attack - Dragon

I added the 4 or more cards part so that you couldn't take out other players' turns with multiple plays.

Some fixes
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:19:21 pm »
+2

I think that there are some German-English translation issues and that with dispose and deposite you mean trash.
Abwerfen = discard | entsorgen = trash

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 04:38:40 pm »
+1

Thank you so much for your support. I will try to get a better wording. I will re-upload the new cards then. Perhaps you will understand it better then :> I created about 20 Dragoncards and about 70 other cards - this should be only the first view.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 04:52:35 pm »

Thank you so much for your support. I will try to get a better wording. I will re-upload the new cards then. Perhaps you will understand it better then :> I created about 20 Dragoncards and about 70 other cards - this should be only the first view.
Other than wording issues, sub-type issues, color issues, etc. the cards look AMAZING! Look forward too seeing what else comes up.

Oh, and the color you used is already used for reserves. A specific color might look cool, but it's not needed and can promote confusion. Knights/Castles both use a regular white template instead of a fancy color.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:58:56 pm »

You can´t see the image???

Here is a direktlink..can you see it then????

http://i.imgur.com/WvuZUFD.jpg
At school 90% of photos on the Internet are blocked.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 08:24:29 pm »

Other than wording issues, sub-type issues, color issues, etc. the cards look AMAZING! Look forward too seeing what else comes up.

Oh, and the color you used is already used for reserves. A specific color might look cool, but it's not needed and can promote confusion. Knights/Castles both use a regular white template instead of a fancy color.

Actually, the Reserve color is a slightly darker shade of brown than the color used for Dragons. I think he should make it black or something like that (if it's black, the text would become white), though, since they are still very similar colors.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 06:32:03 am »

So, i modified my first post :>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:55:54 am by Coinside »

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 06:54:14 am »

So, i modifyd my first post :>
Blackhead is still too weak for 5-cost. What if another player won't go for dragons? He'll still draw two cards. Make it to draw 2 cards for you and may be one for your opponent

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 06:56:29 am »

Yes, you are right!

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 06:58:45 am »

Yes, you are right!

To sum up, I love the idea! And pictures are really magnificent

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 04:40:00 pm »

I feel like all of these need to do more when you don't reveal other dragon cards. For most of them, if you have no other dragon cards in hand, they are just Ruins. Even though obviously the point is that you want to buy a lot of dragons if you buy any, the fact that at least 1 dragon in your hand will always be just a Ruin makes it really week; and means that you need to have the effect good enough so that 1 effect between 2 cards is worth it.

For example look at Fool's Gold and Treasure Map. They both are terrible cards if you only have 1, but the effect when you have more than 1 is really strong.

Also, while the idea seems to be to get you to buy as many dragons as possible, so many of them are terminal, and there's no village dragons either, meaning that it will be really hard to be worth it to buy a lot of dragons.

Specific cards:

Little Dragon - Even when it hits, it's a Silver. So if you have 2 in hand, they are just as good as a Copper each. If those were in my starting deck, I'd be trying to trash them as junk.

Dragonhunter - This is  really expensive ruined village if your opponents don't go for Dragons. And they likely won't in games with this available. So it will just mean that neither this card nor any dragons are bought that game. Also, keep in mind that it could be available in games with no dragon cards.

Mud Dragon - There's 2 official cards that can gain from the trash, and notice that they both provide ways to put worthwhile cards into the trash. This one does not, which means that in most games, it's nothing but a Ruined Village.

Hungry Dragon - I don't know at all about Balance, but I really like the idea.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 04:43:56 pm »

Ok so here's an idea that hopefully isn't completely stepping on your idea. The idea seems to be that dragons work better together, and that you want to buy as many dragons as possible. As mentioned, the biggest drawback is that the last dragon in your hand is always worthless. So here's a possible solution:

Introduce a new rule for your expansion... Dragon cards, unlike regular actions cards, must be played in groups of at least 2 (maybe exactly 2). If your hand has 2 dragon cards, you play them both at the same time, and you get the effects of both cards combined. If you have just a single dragon, it can't be played. You may or may not want to remove the action type completely if you do this, because action type implies that you can just play it in your action phase. So these would be type dragon instead, dragon being a type that's a lot like action, except the cards must be played in groups.

This way, you don't get stuck with just 1 worthless dragon in your hand after you have revealed it for the effects of others. It also has the advantage of not needing "reveal your hand. If you revealed any dragons" on almost every card.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 06:06:46 pm »

groups of at least 2 (maybe exactly 2).

No, that is not the way. The dragon has three heads.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Coinside

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 01:46:40 am »

@ GendoIkari Thank you for your postings. The idea was that if someone uses a dragoncard, then it should be not the only one. In combine with a lot of other dragoncards it works very well.
It´s like "Tunnel". The card is totally useless if there is no other card which set the Tunnel aside, and so it is here! Nice objection with the ruins^^ But the trick is, that the players are encouraged to get more Dragoncards to get the very good effects if they have a dragoncard on their hand. Even if you play only with the "Dragon Eggs" it can be worth, because you often can get atoken coin, and only for $1. Dragonhunter could be stronger or cheaper - ok, but this card should definitely not be in the supply if there is no one Dragoncard in the supply :>These are suggestions, thats why we talk about. And of course I can improve some cards :> The Idea with the new rules is a nice idea, perhaps we can talk about that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:30:35 am by Coinside »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.