Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: King of Tokyo  (Read 5684 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
King of Tokyo
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:39 pm »

I've been playing this game a lot recently since my friend brought it over. It has a couple of slight balance issues, but it is a very fun game to play socially. I won a lot of early games but now I'm dying first because it's sadly very easy to play Kingmaker in Tokyo. :(
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: King of Tokyo
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:51:23 am »
+1

I'm not a fan. I play it every once in a while as it's liked a lot by other members of my game group; and it can be fun; but I prefer something with a lot more strategy. I've heard King of New York is better.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:38:50 am »
+4

It is unbalanced, prone to kingmaking, and horribly luck-driven.

That being said, it's a fun game. It's just not something I want to play if I'm in the mood for something deep.

I would choose this over Munchkin, I think.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:37:58 pm »
+6

Ah, something it has in common with having your house set on fire.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:43 pm »

I just checked out Munchkin's webzone. So many products where they sold out and just got a licensed rebrand, as well as the horribly designed website. Man, I think I'd rather have my house on fire, and I've never played the game.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 01:21:44 pm »

I was excited to see something pertaining to Nightmare Before Christmas but was then deflated to see it was a Munchkin expansion.

At least King of Tokyo has original monsters. Okay, many of them are obvious homages to other monsters, much like the original heroes and villains in Sentinels of the Multiverse often have very obvious inspirations.
A man has no signature

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:22:34 pm »

I just checked out Munchkin's webzone. So many products where they sold out and just got a licensed rebrand, as well as the horribly designed website. Man, I think I'd rather have my house on fire, and I've never played the game.

It's a pretty fun game if you want a funny D&D like game. Very roughly like D&D though

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:35:50 pm »

Eh, I'd choose King of Tokyo over having my house on fire, by far.  Let's face it, it's Yahtzee with different scoring, but there are enough fiddly changes and theme to make it much better than Yahtzee.  And the theme is not really pasted on, which is impressive.  It's a good kids game or 30-minute filler, and more interesting than Love Letter or several other filler games.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 01:54:15 pm »
+1

It's a pretty fun game if you want a funny D&D like game. Very roughly like D&D though

The theme is like D&D,  but the gameplay is very different.  It's only funny a few times before it gets repetitive, because the humour is all in the text rather than in player creativity.  In that sense,  it's worse than CAH for humour.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 12:00:21 am »

Eh, I'd choose King of Tokyo over having my house on fire, by far.  Let's face it, it's Yahtzee with different scoring, but there are enough fiddly changes and theme to make it much better than Yahtzee.  And the theme is not really pasted on, which is impressive.  It's a good kids game or 30-minute filler, and more interesting than Love Letter or several other filler games.

No, my post was saying that King of Tokyo and Having my house set on fire are both things I would choose over playing Munchkin. No implication of King of Tokyo vs House fire (I'd rather play King of Tokyo too).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 02:17:27 am »
+3

The theme is like D&D,  but the gameplay is very different.  It's only funny a few times before it gets repetitive, because the humour is all in the text rather than in player creativity.  In that sense,  it's worse than CAH for humour.

Munchkin cards are amusing to read once each.  That's the total amusement value of Munchkin.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 03:06:20 am »
+3

I'm not a fan. I play it every once in a while as it's liked a lot by other members of my game group; and it can be fun; but I prefer something with a lot more strategy. I've heard King of New York is better.
They're similar enough that you don't need to try King of New York if you don't like King of Tokyo.

King of New York does several things that you immediately want after playing King of Tokyo:
- the board doesn't just have one spot, and you are on the board somewhere and it matters where
- there are buildings to destroy on the board, not just in the deck
- the dice have 6 different abilities rather than 3 faces being 1-2-3

In exchange for which:
- there are more rules
- the deck of abilities isn't as good (more of them are wonky or hard to use)

We didn't go back to King of Tokyo after getting New York, though I have threatened to go through the abilities deck for Tokyo and pull out some good ones that would work in New York.

It's a good game to play with kids old enough to play it. They will appreciate having a chance to win. It's fun getting abilities and rolling dice.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 07:46:21 am »

Thank you for that summary, Donald. We gave our niblings King of Tokyo, and they just love it. They take it to swim meets all the time (which makes me cringe inwardly, but kids). When we got them the first expansion, they were enthralled by the new decks.

I didn't know anything about King of New York. I suspected that it would not be another add-on. Sounds like if we get it, then Tokyo will sit on the wayside. Are the Tokyo monsters usable in NY? That may be the saving grace here.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:02:04 am »
+1

Now... Why do people hate on Yahtzee? That's a great game.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:32 am »

I'm never playing King of Tokyo again. I'm freaking pissed off. Shrink Ray is total bullshit.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 04:28:42 pm »
+1

My proudest moment is winning due to score, shrinking the final opponent to zero dice, and removing their last point of health all in the same turn.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 05:02:04 pm »

I didn't know anything about King of New York. I suspected that it would not be another add-on. Sounds like if we get it, then Tokyo will sit on the wayside. Are the Tokyo monsters usable in NY? That may be the saving grace here.
I'm not sure what you mean even. I think expansion things modify the monsters, so in that sense no. In the sense of, can you use that figure and that thing that tracks hearts and VP, sure.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 05:26:46 am »

I haven't been back to it since when I was a wee lad, and while I remember having fun with it, there really was only a couple of choices you could make, and the rest was left up to the roll.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 02:40:47 pm »

I haven't been back to it since when I was a wee lad, and while I remember having fun with it, there really was only a couple of choices you could make, and the rest was left up to the roll.

Yeah, if you're going to play something like Yahtzee, play Favor of the Pharaoh.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:39 am »

I'm not sure what you mean even. I think expansion things modify the monsters, so in that sense no. In the sense of, can you use that figure and that thing that tracks hearts and VP, sure.

Yeah, I meant the expansion cards that customize each monster. Not usable in NY? Hm, that makes the decision a bit harder.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 02:25:22 pm »

King of Tokyo is way too light for me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.861 seconds with 20 queries.