Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39  All

Author Topic: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread  (Read 257141 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread
« Reply #725 on: October 20, 2020, 10:13:40 am »
+1

Ghost Flips remake

Ouch.  I hope you drew a card full of junk

No, and I actually had two provinces in hand.

... but also some cards coming in with Archive, so I could avoid trashing one.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 23, 2020, 04:28:28 pm »

Caravan Guard as Way of the Mouse as Lighthouse.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 24, 2020, 03:50:39 am »
+2

Hmm... but the Lighthouse is never in play, so this combo doesn't do anything different from Caravan Guard as Way of the Chameleon, does it?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 24, 2020, 04:03:06 am »

Hmm... but the Lighthouse is never in play, so this combo doesn't do anything different from Caravan Guard as Way of the Chameleon, does it?

Yeah, it wouldn't block the attack since Lighthouse isn't actually in play, and by using Mouse as Lighthouse, you don't even get the +1 Card that Caravan Guard normally gives, making it less useful in most situations
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 24, 2020, 11:55:40 pm »
+1

If +buys are plentiful, then Advance + Looters is an interesting combo.  Had a game where my opponent kept giving me ruins with Marauder, and I'd turn around and use Advance to turn them into $5 Action cards.  The Ruins still slowed me down a bit, of course, since they took up space in my hand, and took two shuffles before I could use said $5 Action cards, but it was still a useful way to deal with them
They/them

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 29, 2020, 08:30:57 am »
+1

I am wondering often which kingdoms would most heavily discourage looters. Way of the Horse has been discussed, but Advance is also very high on the list. Action trashers like Sacrifice and Zombie Apprentice are also good counters, even if not as ubiquitous as the two card-shaped things. Way ot the Turtle would get Ruins out of the way (pun intended) at the cost of an action. Way of the Butterfly rids in a similar fashion but returns Ruins so Marauder will have ammunition till the end of the match. Scrying Pool makes ruins almost transparent, though a Ruined Market on top of an Estate is worse than an Estate as the top of the draw pile. Library sort of mitigates the impact of Ruins though it probably wouldn't discourage opening Marauder.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #731 on: October 29, 2020, 09:19:30 am »

I am wondering often which kingdoms would most heavily discourage looters. Way of the Horse has been discussed, but Advance is also very high on the list. Action trashers like Sacrifice and Zombie Apprentice are also good counters, even if not as ubiquitous as the two card-shaped things. Way ot the Turtle would get Ruins out of the way (pun intended) at the cost of an action. Way of the Butterfly rids in a similar fashion but returns Ruins so Marauder will have ammunition till the end of the match. Scrying Pool makes ruins almost transparent, though a Ruined Market on top of an Estate is worse than an Estate as the top of the draw pile. Library sort of mitigates the impact of Ruins though it probably wouldn't discourage opening Marauder.

i think you've gotta consider the VP angle more as a deterrent: museum, tower, and obelisk (selecting the ruins pile) all really discourage you to go in on cultist/marauder

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 29, 2020, 03:00:34 pm »
+3

(This was against a real player but continued vs bots.)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 29, 2020, 10:30:18 pm »
+1

(This was against a real player but continued vs bots.)

Damn, did they resign in the middle of that play?

Also, that would be a hell of a play to try to keep track of everything in an IRL game
They/them

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 02, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
+2

i think you've gotta consider the VP angle more as a deterrent: museum, tower, and obelisk (selecting the ruins pile) all really discourage you to go in on cultist/marauder

The diversity of ruins you are being fed also pays off, besides Museum, with more $$ from Bounty Hunter.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: November 04, 2020, 01:50:37 pm »
+1

J plays a Squire.
J gets +$1.
J gets +2 Actions.
J plays an Artificer.
J draws a Copper.
J gets +1 Action.
J gets +$1.
J plays an Artificer.
J draws a Copper.
J gets +1 Action.
J gets +$1.
J plays a Shanty Town.
J gets +2 Actions.
J reveals their hand: a Gold, a Fortune and 2 Coppers.
J draws a Shanty Town and a Catacombs.
J plays a Catacombs.
J looks at 2 Golds and a Copper.
J puts a Copper and 2 Golds into their hand.
J plays a Shanty Town.
J gets +2 Actions.
J reveals their hand: 3 Golds, a Fortune and 3 Coppers.
J draws a Copper and a Sacred Grove.
J plays a Sacred Grove.
J gets +1 Buy.
J gets +$3.
J takes The Sea's Gift.
J receives The Sea's Gift.
J draws a Squire.
J discards The Sea's Gift.
D draws a card.
J plays a Squire.
J gets +$1.
J gets +2 Buys.
J plays 3 Golds and 4 Coppers. (+$13)
J plays a Fortune.
J gets +1 Buy.
J buys and gains 5 Provinces.
J draws a Curse, a Copper, an Estate, a Shanty Town and an Artificer.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #736 on: November 06, 2020, 01:30:29 pm »
+1

just had a game with Procession, Rats, Tomb, and no other trashing; it was worth it to do a full Rats overrun and just buy copper every turn for VP tokens.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 29, 2020, 03:17:28 am »
+1

The diversity of ruins you are being fed also pays off, besides Museum, with more $$ from Bounty Hunter.

Also, you can stack up a bit more with Conclaves to mitigate the effect of (and capitalize on the variety and card type of) Ruins. This would not be enough to be a deterrent.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 29, 2020, 08:06:01 am »
+10

Last turn of the game. 1 Province left, and I can afford to buy it and tie. However I can't see a win with no +buy in the kingdom.

Then I remembered something. I had Necromancer in my hand so I could play a Zombie Mason with it, hit one of the many $4 cards in my deck, gain a Duchy and win instead of tie.

The Zombie Mason hit a Province and I lost the game.

Don't get greedy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 30, 2020, 03:59:53 am »
+2

That was the right choice though unless you knew the top card or had more provinces than hits.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 30, 2020, 08:14:13 am »
+3

Depends. How much better is winning than tying, and how much better is tying than losing? A guaranteed tie might well be a better bet than x% chance of a win, y% of a tie, and z% of a loss, depending on the values of x, y, and z.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 01, 2020, 04:52:22 am »
+1

From memory the rulebook actually says you "both win" if you get the same score in the same number of turns, but Dominion Online says "you tie".

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #742 on: December 01, 2020, 05:43:16 am »
+1

Last turn of the game. 1 Province left, and I can afford to buy it and tie. However I can't see a win with no +buy in the kingdom.

Then I remembered something. I had Necromancer in my hand so I could play a Zombie Mason with it, hit one of the many $4 cards in my deck, gain a Duchy and win instead of tie.

The Zombie Mason hit a Province and I lost the game.

Don't get greedy.
Let's say you have 7 targets of $4 and 3 Provinces in a 30 card deck. So 20/30 ties, 7/30 wins and 3/30 losses. 7-3 = 4. So your EV (expected value) is positive and you should go for it. If however you have a lower rating than your opponent, a tie is worth more than 0 and your EV for taking the risk might be lower than not taking the risk.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 02, 2020, 04:38:13 am »

Isn't the rating system such that the difference between a win and a draw is always identical to that between a draw and a loss?

MicQ linked me to the implementation of the system once but I was too lazy to work through it so I'm still not sure.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 02, 2020, 08:45:26 pm »
+2

Isn't the rating system such that the difference between a win and a draw is always identical to that between a draw and a loss?

Beats me, but then we can just add in "How much do you care about the rating system?" to the set of relevant questions.

I don't care about the rating system, and I respect the fact that according to the Dominion rule book a tie is equivalent to a win; so my judgment about whether to go for the risky win over the certain tie in that scenario might be different than someone who assigns different values to those factors.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 07, 2020, 01:18:38 am »

From memory the rulebook actually says you "both win" if you get the same score in the same number of turns, but Dominion Online says "you tie".

If the person forcing the tie went first they lose.  If the person forcing the tie went second then it's a tie.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 07, 2020, 02:26:35 am »

If the person forcing the tie went first they lose.  If the person forcing the tie went second then it's a tie.

Yes, that's basically what NoMoreFun said - "same score in the same number of turns"
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 07, 2020, 12:41:02 pm »

Since the Dominion rules don't give any sort of indication of a proper ranking system, that's completely up to the implementers of any such ranking system, and I don't see any problem with awarding "you both win" differently than "you alone win". And then whether you show that to the user as "both win" or as "tie" is simply a meaningless wording choice.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 01, 2021, 07:56:44 pm »
+5

I had a Kiln, 3 Coppers, and a Monastery in my hand at the start of my turn.  Destrier was on the board.  I played Kiln, then used it on the first Copper, so that the gained Copper reduced Destrier's cost to $5, allowing me to buy it.  Then, in my Night phase, the Copper I'd gained from Kiln allowed me to trash one extra Copper from play, cancelling out that gained Copper
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:58:34 pm by mxdata »
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 10, 2021, 06:19:28 pm »
+2

So, I just had a game with Orchard, Rats, Transmogrify, Hireling, Marauder, and Piazza, along with a bunch of other non-terminal Actions (plus one alt-VP card).  It ended up being a rather interesting game.  Rats would turn junk into more Rats (and it helped that my opponent used Marauder quite a bit, giving Rats plenty of fuel), then Transmogrify would turn those Rats into other Actions.  Hireling helped to increase the likelihood of lining up a Rats with a Transmogrify, while Piazza occasionally hit a Rats, but by using Piazza after the Hireling draws, I avoided having to trash any good cards.  So, I was careful to keep the number of Rats right around 3 while racking up Orchard points with Transmogrified Rats.  At the end of the game, I had *32 points* from Orchard alone, and the trash was full of Rats, Coppers, Ruins, and Shelters, and a handful of other cards
They/them
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.