Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39  All

Author Topic: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread  (Read 257330 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments of 2016 Thread
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2016, 09:35:15 am »
+1

Using cost reduction, +1 action an +1 buy tokens on Ghost Ship, I got 5 colonies and 7 provinces over 2 turns. Does anyone else find the token-based events to be really game warping?

Well, yes. Ghost Ship is by no means the best card for doing something like that though. The first Ghost Ship you play is a strong attack, but any further Ghost Ships are just expensive Moats. Moat, incidentally, is a pretty nice target for the +1 Action token - $2 Labs are pretty cool.

Speaking of nice targets for +1 Action, Steward works very nicely.  Choice between Lab, always-activemissing Mystic, or nonterminal Trasher. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:37:26 am by Witherweaver »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2016, 10:34:30 am »
+1

Using cost reduction, +1 action an +1 buy tokens on Ghost Ship, I got 5 colonies and 7 provinces over 2 turns. Does anyone else find the token-based events to be really game warping?

Well, yes. Ghost Ship is by no means the best card for doing something like that though. The first Ghost Ship you play is a strong attack, but any further Ghost Ships are just expensive Moats. Moat, incidentally, is a pretty nice target for the +1 Action token - $2 Labs are pretty cool.

Speaking of nice targets for +1 Action, Steward works very nicely.  Choice between Lab, always-active Mystic, or nonterminal Trasher.

The Mystic option never draws though.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2016, 10:37:01 am »

Speaking of nice targets for +1 Action, Steward works very nicely.  Choice between Lab, always-active Mystic, or nonterminal Trasher.

Yes, right, I meant always-missing Mystic.  Still good for $3.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2016, 11:54:12 am »
+1

Won a game using prince of black markets, and getting fairgrounds from the black market deck. My friend tried to use prince of pirate ships, but it was too slow to get going.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2016, 11:02:55 am »
+12

Opened Bureaucrat on a Quest board, discarded it three times to Quest for Golds, then passed it away to my opponent's Masquerade without ever having played it. Power card!

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »
+1

Log

My opponent and I both had 2 Possessions and 2 Ambassadors.

(This was actually an incredibly interesting game -- I was trying to Transmogrify my Ambassadors away before he could play them.  And I even considered not playing my Champion, in hopes of eventually Ambassadoring his things to myself, which Champion prevents.  And I think Amb/Amb is by far the better opening than what we did.  But I digress.  This happened...)

---------- Dingan: turn 18 [possessed] ----------
Dingan - plays Warrior
Dingan - draws Warrior, Stables
Dingan - plays Warrior
Dingan - draws Gold, Silver
Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Copper
Dingan - draws Stables
Dingan - shuffles deck
Dingan - draws Stables, Stables
Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Silver
Dingan - draws Copper, Stables, Silver
Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Copper
Dingan - draws Possession, City, Copper
Dingan - plays City
Dingan - draws Warrior
Dingan - plays Warrior
Dingan - draws Silver, Copper
Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Copper
Dingan - draws Stables, Possession, Transmogrify
Dingan - plays Ambassador
Dingan - reveals Possession
Dingan - returns Possession to the Supply
Dingan - returns Possession to the Supply

Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Copper
Dingan - draws Stables, Ambassador
Dingan - shuffles deck
Dingan - draws Copper
Dingan - plays Ambassador
Dingan - reveals Potion
Dingan - returns Potion to the Supply

Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Copper
Dingan - draws Copper, Silver, Copper
Dingan - plays Stables
Dingan - discards Copper
Dingan - shuffles deck
Dingan - draws Copper, Copper
Dingan - plays 4 Silver, 3 Copper, 1 Gold
Dingan - buys Province
Yippee Ki Yay - gains Province
Dingan - shuffles deck
Dingan - draws City, Copper, Copper, Ambassador, Stables

:'(

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2016, 01:38:59 pm »

I did that to somebody once, and they got so angry. I would have gotten furious as well. Possession should AT LEAST be considered an attack. That would be a nerf, even if only a small one.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »
+1

Very fitting that his name was Yippee Ki Yay.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2016, 01:48:42 pm »
+2

Possession should AT LEAST be considered an attack. That would be a nerf, even if only a small one.

Possession is not a very strong card, it doesn't need a nerf. It shouldn't be an Attack either because in a vacuum, it benefits the possessed player.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2016, 01:55:38 pm »
+2

Possession should AT LEAST be considered an attack. That would be a nerf, even if only a small one.

Possession is not a very strong card, it doesn't need a nerf. It shouldn't be an Attack either because in a vacuum, it benefits the possessed player.

If you're going to post a Hot Take the least you could do is defend it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »
+1

Revealing reactions to the attack of Possession could be beneficial to the Possessor if the Possessee blindly plays reactions. However, with a competent player, the Possessee can retain some dignity, and maybe make Secret Chambler... *gasp* ... VIABLE.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2016, 01:59:59 pm »
+1

Revealing reactions to the attack of Possession could be beneficial to the Possessor if the Possessee blindly plays reactions. However, with a competent player, the Possessee can retain some dignity, and maybe make Secret Chambler... *gasp* ... VIABLE.

Ever heard of top-deck trashing attacks?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2016, 04:48:35 pm »

Admittedly it was against a bot but I did my first ever 7 Province mega turn. Now I need to clear the stack in one go.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160817/log.0.1471477034739.txt

I also thought it was a really nice fun kingdom to play. Ferry was important as I think the key is having the -2 token on the right card at the right tine.

Code: [Select]
Ferry, Lost Arts, Beggar, Cellar, Haven, Fortune Teller, Cartographer, Count, Embassy, Merchant Guild, Royal Carriage, Stables

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2016, 01:34:52 am »

Non-terminal +$2 at a cost of $3 sounds pretty good.  Hmm, maybe it could be a Treasure instead of an action. ;)

I agree that Awaclus drops one-liner non-advice a bit too often, but this one is pretty obvious and has been discussed plenty in other discussions about the card.  In a vacuum, the net effect of Possession for the possessor is just a convoluted gainer, while the net effect for the possessed player is that their deck cycles some.  The possessed player doesn't really lose anything from being possessed.  Your current hand and possibly some cards from your deck get discarded and maybe reshuffled, but it's replacing one randomly drawn hand with another randomly drawn hand.  And in a vacuum, cycling is actually a good thing for you most of the time.

The problem is, selective memory means that people remember when their hand is "downgraded" more than they remember when it gets better, plus there's a psychological aversion to being "controlled" by the other player.  And of course, there are a few card interactions that can actually make Possession a lot more dangerous (e.g. Ambassador).  Moreover, it's not fun when the other player is taking multiple turns in a row, even if it's not hurting you.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2016, 01:56:36 am »
+3

In a post-Adventures world, I don't see how Possession is simply a fancy Workshop anymore. There are too many cards now that work beyond simply gaining a card this turn -- Durations, Coin Tokens, Reserves, Madman/Mercenary, Event Tokens to name a few. Possession is much stronger with decks that rely on any of these.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2016, 03:39:14 am »

Non-terminal +$2 at a cost of $3 sounds pretty good.  Hmm, maybe it could be a Treasure instead of an action. ;)

I agree that Awaclus drops one-liner non-advice a bit too often, but this one is pretty obvious and has been discussed plenty in other discussions about the card.  In a vacuum, the net effect of Possession for the possessor is just a convoluted gainer, while the net effect for the possessed player is that their deck cycles some.  The possessed player doesn't really lose anything from being possessed.  Your current hand and possibly some cards from your deck get discarded and maybe reshuffled, but it's replacing one randomly drawn hand with another randomly drawn hand.  And in a vacuum, cycling is actually a good thing for you most of the time.

The problem is, selective memory means that people remember when their hand is "downgraded" more than they remember when it gets better, plus there's a psychological aversion to being "controlled" by the other player.  And of course, there are a few card interactions that can actually make Possession a lot more dangerous (e.g. Ambassador).  Moreover, it's not fun when the other player is taking multiple turns in a row, even if it's not hurting you.

Loosing all your coin tokens, gettinf your -1 (card or $) token, loosing your durations, loosing a +1 something token on a good card,... All if these genuinely should count as attacks.

It's unclear to me that when you are buying victory cards, cycling is a net plus. At that point, cycling is neutral.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »

The ways that it hurts are still a minority, and it is usually easy to play around. Opponent gets Possession? Time to spend your coin tokens. Maybe it was a bad idea to get the coin token cars in the first place, but you should have seen that coming! Likewise for most other interactions. It's mostly just Amb/Masq that are tough to deal with because your opponent can give you one to abuse.

Cycling is worse when you are greening, but it is positive before that. It'll be a positive most of the time. Overall I wouldn't call it a major benefit; Possession is just neutral outside of uncommon interactions, most of which you should be able to see coming and work around.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »

In a post-Adventures world, I don't see how Possession is simply a fancy Workshop anymore. There are too many cards now that work beyond simply gaining a card this turn -- Durations, Coin Tokens, Reserves, Madman/Mercenary, Event Tokens to name a few. Possession is much stronger with decks that rely on any of these.

It never was a fancy workshop. It's just a way of looking at it. I would say Possession is more of an Outpost/Mission on your opponent. Thinking of Possession as a Workshop is very helpful in determining the usefulness of Possession, but it is not quite a Workshop.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2016, 02:53:01 pm »
+1

Today I bought Empires because it was there and my sister convinced me. Our first game had Orchard (+4 VPs/action card you have 3+ of) and Wolf Den (-3 VPs for singletons) as Landmarks, with Kings Court, which made for an interesting game. I scored 28 from Orchard and lost nothing to Wolf Den, plus got about 15 in VP counters from Temple and Emporium.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:21:08 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2016, 03:04:00 am »
+4

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2016, 07:25:24 pm »
+4

Played Possession. Using opponent's turn, played a Band of Misfits as a Ratcatcher. Haw haw.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:27 pm »
+3

Played a game yesterday where I started with my friend who had to leave in the middle, so my dad finished playing in place of my friend. Both my friend and my dad had a time where they bought fortune, but forgot to actually gain one. Apparently, the high price is so distracting that they forget to pick it up from the supply and put it in their discard pile. When I bought fortune, I did not forget to gain it. I won.

tldr: don't forget to gain the card you bought when playing IRL.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2016, 04:29:51 pm »

Played Possession. Using opponent's turn, played a Band of Misfits as a Ratcatcher. Haw haw.

So what happens?  Does BoM cease to act like an RC on the tavern mat and is stuck there?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »

BoM is played as RC, which gets +1 card/+1 action. Then it instructs "put this on your Tavern mat". It moves to the Tavern mat, and as a result, leaves play, causing it to turn back into BoM. Now you have a BoM on your Tavern mat, which does not have any instructions that allow you to call it, so it is there for the rest of the game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.