Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39  All

Author Topic: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread  (Read 256237 times)

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1396
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread
« Reply #800 on: July 16, 2021, 01:27:35 am »
+2

Distractedly awaiting my turn, found myself with a starting hand of 7, and was like..why do I have 7?

My 59 rating opponent had Ambassadored me a Cavalry ::)
My opponent has more loot than me

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 17, 2021, 04:32:46 pm »
+4

On the last turn of the game, I was down by 5 points with one Province left on the board, and after playing all my Actions, I had just $7 left to spend, between the Actions and the Treasures I had in hand.  But, I hadn't yet played any Treasures, and the kingdom had both Alms and Cavalry.  So, I bought Alms to gain a Cavalry, and one of the two cards drawn from Cavalry's on-gain effect was a Copper, letting me buy the last Province and win by 1 point
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1396
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 18, 2021, 12:51:09 am »
+2

G plays a Small Castle.
G trashes a Haunted Castle.
G gains an Opulent Castle.
G plays 4 Golds. (+$12)
G buys and gains a Sprawling Castle.
G gains 3 Estates.
G buys and gains a Grand Castle.
G reveals their hand: 2 Provinces.
G gets 3 VP from Grand Castle.
G buys a Triumph.
G gains an Estate. [empties estate pile]
G gets 7 VP.
Emptying remaining estate pile with Sprawling Castle + Triumph, denying opponent any more Triumphs.
My opponent has more loot than me

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 18, 2021, 07:36:02 pm »

???

:-X

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:46:21 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 19, 2021, 08:48:18 pm »
+1

I just played a game with Mastermind, Knights, Graverobber and Chariot Race. That was a bit of a brain-mangler.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 30, 2021, 01:53:42 pm »

really could've used a diadem here. 

But hitting 3 populates to three pile was pretty fun too...

It's also semi-interesting that their Mastermind would come into play before the game ended.  Not sure if or how or when this could be relevant...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:17:19 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 30, 2021, 10:38:16 pm »
+2

Had a game with Peasant line, with shelters, Way of the Owl, Hunting Lodge, Sanctuary, Sheepdog, and Paddocks - all of which combined to mean very rapid cycling.  I got my Teacher on turn *7*!  And got to first play it on turn 8
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 01, 2021, 12:44:22 am »

Black Cat + Replace can lead to some amusing interactions. You give your opponent a Curse when you gain a Victory card, but then they react with their Black Cat to give you a Curse too. Or, actually, their Black Cat's reaction would come first, before you give out a Curse, so if there's only one Curse left, they could end up not getting a Curse
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:54:55 am by mxdata »
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 07, 2021, 03:59:23 pm »

I ended up trashing my own Knight for the first time. Sir Vander over an estate with a hermit.
No + actions (save Dame Molly n hermit) Necro's allowed any trashed knight to be played anyway so Vander lost a lot of appeal anyway and I needed some gold. Plus got a hermit too.  :P

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 07, 2021, 04:02:05 pm »

Black Cat + Replace can lead to some amusing interactions. You give your opponent a Curse when you gain a Victory card, but then they react with their Black Cat to give you a Curse too. Or, actually, their Black Cat's reaction would come first, before you give out a Curse, so if there's only one Curse left, they could end up not getting a Curse

This doesn't work though.  Found that out when ambassadoring estates.  The other player only gains a curse when it isn't your turn.  Unless it is someone else giving them Replaced Victory cards in a 3+ player game. Though you do get to play the black cat for draw in the case of ambassador.  If it's Replace they only gain a curse, not Victory Card.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 04:07:18 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #810 on: August 08, 2021, 04:10:12 am »
+2

This doesn't work though.  Found that out when ambassadoring estates.  The other player only gains a curse when it isn't your turn.

Yes, and when you are playing Replace to gain a Victory card, it usually isn't your opponent's turn, so you do gain the Curse from their Black Cat.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 10, 2021, 02:11:47 am »
+1

This doesn't work though.  Found that out when ambassadoring estates.  The other player only gains a curse when it isn't your turn.  Unless it is someone else giving them Replaced Victory cards in a 3+ player game. Though you do get to play the black cat for draw in the case of ambassador.  If it's Replace they only gain a curse, not Victory Card.

That's not what I was saying.  What I said was this:

Player A trashes a Gold to gain a Province
Player B reacts with their Black Cat to give Player A a Curse
Player A's Replace then gives Player B a Curse

(And in a 3-player game poor Player C ends up with two Curses, one from Player A's Replace and one from Player B's Black Cat)

So the person who played Replace ends up getting cursed too.  I didn't mean it as "this is a useful interaction", but as "this is kind of a funny interaction"
They/them

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2021, 05:37:40 am »
+2

Just had a game with Bandit Fort where the Silver pile almost got emptied. Wayfarer and Tomb were involved; all of the Silvers ended up in the trash.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 20, 2021, 01:12:50 am »
+2

This is what you call good clean living.  The poor guy in back-to-back games.

and then end game, can't take the last Duchy or open 3 pile.  So I take the penultimate province and hope.

Though neither actually changed the outcome  as he didn't have the 8 coins anyway (only had 3)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:15:38 am by Honkeyfresh »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 23, 2021, 02:11:31 am »
+1

In a game with Idols and Trader, and lots of +buy, both my opponent and I had trashed all of our Estates, and I'd gotten one curse, while my opponent had none.  There were two empty piles, and one (Engineer) with 4 cards left.  Near the end of my Action phase, I had 4 buys and a total of $15, with two Idols, a Trader, and the Curse I'd gotten earlier from their Idols. My last Action of that turn was to trash the Curse with my Trader.  Then I played my treasure, gave my opponent a Curse with my Idols, and bought all four Engineers, winning the game with a score of 0 to -1!  My opponent had a much stronger engine, so if I hadn't managed to end the game there, I would surely have lost. But I managed to end the game before their engine could kick off
They/them

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 23, 2021, 12:23:42 pm »
+3

Just played a game in which Lord Rattington used Scrap on a Province. This can sometimes be a good strategic decision, but I don't think this case was one.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 29, 2021, 11:18:56 pm »
+1

Had a game with Develop, Cavalry, Urchin, and Coven. I was able to get Mercenary really quickly by Developing a Cavalry into Urchin + Coven
They/them

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 30, 2021, 05:32:24 pm »

Just played a game in which Lord Rattington used Scrap on a Province. This can sometimes be a good strategic decision, but I don't think this case was one.

I Scrapped a Colony in order to end the game once. It was the right decision.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 09, 2021, 02:58:12 am »

I Scrapped a Colony in order to end the game once. It was the right decision.
yeah i do this all the time. Same with provinces. The use a salvager to take the last two provinces out is a favorite move of mine...
I forget who but one pf the Dominion elders played a famous game where they had to ambassador a province to win.  I don't quite remember how or why this worked.  But someone else probably will.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 09, 2021, 03:00:09 am »

lord rat is a fucking idiot.

sign up for the beta and play the new AI on the dominion app. Not perfect yet, but much better than the bottards

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 09, 2021, 03:01:27 am »

In a game with Idols and Trader, and lots of +buy, both my opponent and I had trashed all of our Estates, and I'd gotten one curse, while my opponent had none.  There were two empty piles, and one (Engineer) with 4 cards left.  Near the end of my Action phase, I had 4 buys and a total of $15, with two Idols, a Trader, and the Curse I'd gotten earlier from their Idols. My last Action of that turn was to trash the Curse with my Trader.  Then I played my treasure, gave my opponent a Curse with my Idols, and bought all four Engineers, winning the game with a score of 0 to -1!  My opponent had a much stronger engine, so if I hadn't managed to end the game there, I would surely have lost. But I managed to end the game before their engine could kick off

This is like the dominon equivalent of the wrestler who stole gold with a reversal in the last 11 seconds of a match against the GOAT of that sport..

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 25, 2021, 09:21:38 pm »
+3

My opponent had tons of Black Cats, so what do I do? Gain an Estate in my Action phase with Falconer to bait them into attacking, gain a bunch of curses, and then draw into the curses, trash them with Forager and Goatherd, and then buy a Province with impunity.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 11, 2021, 12:51:28 am »
+2

Just beat my dad 73 to 20 in a game without VP tokens, Colonies, or any kingdom victory cards. (Tower)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 25, 2021, 08:49:05 pm »
+1

Played a game with Flag Bearer and Way of the Mouse, where the card played by Mouse was Improve. It was an interesting interaction, since Improve and Flag Bearer have exactly the effect when you play them, but then at Clean-Up, you can trash the Flag Bearer for a $5 card, allowing you to take the Flag both when you gain the card and at Clean-Up after playing it
They/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 25, 2021, 10:54:50 pm »
+1

Played a game with Flag Bearer and Way of the Mouse, where the card played by Mouse was Improve. It was an interesting interaction, since Improve and Flag Bearer have exactly the effect when you play them, but then at Clean-Up, you can trash the Flag Bearer for a $5 card, allowing you to take the Flag both when you gain the card and at Clean-Up after playing it

Improve is one of the few cards that would be significantly stronger if it cost more. I think it shares that property with Band of Misfits,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:03:44 pm by NoMoreFun »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.